Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

MURDER IN GREENWICH VILLAGE (1937) - Anyone see it?

Offline falsealarms

I kind of stumbled onto the fact that Sony released the obscure 1937 film MURDER IN GREENWICH VILLAGE on Blu-Ray about a year ago.

It caught my attention because unless you're talking about the Stooges or a Frank Capra movie, it's not always easy to see Columbia products from that era. Considering all the stuff still in their vaults, it's curious why this film of all things was released. It was supposedly remastered in 2K too.

There's very little out there on this film. It didn't seem to generate much ink in trade papers of the time, and it has been rated all of 68 times at IMDB. Prior to the Blu release, it was never out on any home video format. It's not streaming anywhere either.

The film stars Richard Arlen and Fay Wray with uncredited roles for Bud Jamison, Vernon Dent, Dick Curtis, Eddie Fetherston, William Irving, and a couple of other familiar faces to those on this board.

IMDB describes the plot as: "An heiress uses a photographer as an alibi when she is accused of a murder she didn't commit."

Has anyone seen it?

Offline metaldams

No but I’ll check anything out with Fay Wray.

....and while I haven’t scoured the entire Columbia catalog of the thirties, I do know 1934’s BLACK MOON (Fay Wray) and 1935’s THE BLACK ROOM (Boris Karloff) are at least on DVD and in my collection.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline falsealarms

No but I’ll check anything out with Fay Wray.

....and while I haven’t scoured the entire Columbia catalog of the thirties, I do know 1934’s BLACK MOON (Fay Wray) and 1935’s THE BLACK ROOM (Boris Karloff) are at least on DVD and in my collection.

A poor copy of the film is on YouTube:

Offline falsealarms

Being Columbia productions, it's not surprising to recognize some of the same studio locations used in Stooge shorts - for instance, the location in MURDER around 16:40 can be seen in MUTTS TO YOU when the Stooges leave the boarding house. The building number and railings match up perfectly.