Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

The Dentist (1932) - W.C. Fields

Offline metaldams

THE DENTIST is the first of four short films W.C. Fields made for Mack Sennett.  In his early fifties at this point, his career up until now was commercially more successful on stage than it was in film.  He made some starring silent features for Paramount in the late twenties that never caught on, so he’s making short films and playing supporting roles in talkies, trying to re-establish himself in film.  Fields must have been trying to really get the attention of the public by being as brazen as possible, because THE DENTIST is about as vulgar a film one can make in 1932, even by pre code standards.  He also makes no attempt at being likable.  In his later mature talking Paramount features, Fields usually balanced his curmudgeonly nature with ounces of humanity, but nothing of the kind here.  We’re expected to laugh at a completely boorish individual and for me at least, mission accomplished.

As a character, Fields is very strong willed and will never admit fault or show any empathy.  He makes up the rules of golf to his benefit, throws temper tantrums when things don’t go his way by launching his golf clubs into the water followed by his poor gaslighted caddy.  Not a man one would want to play golf with, but he’s sure a ball of energy and nerve suitable for a comedy.  Field’s unfortunate golf partner in THE DENTIST is none other than Bud Jamison.

As far as vulgarity, for 1932 - wow.  Let’s start with his daughter, played by Babe Kane (eight years later the French maid Curly flirts with in NO CENSUS, NO FEELING).  After a few good verbal gags about Fields misplacing things and the daughter telling him said things are right by him (similar to Oliver Hardy’s missing hat that’s on his head in HOG WILD), Field’s tries to get his daughter’s attention about a newspaper article.  She’s bending over by the ice box, so in order to get her attention, Fields give her a tap on the butt.  Now it’s strange enough for a man to tap his daughter on the butt for attention.  For the topper, not realizing it’s her father, she responds by placing an order of ice, thinking it’s the ice man doing the tapping.  So in one fell swoop, we establish Fields has boundary issues and the daughter gives away to her father she’s quite physically intimate with the ice man.  Throughout the short, Fields locks her in her room and she stomps on the ground, causing things to fall from the ceiling into the mouths of his patients.  As an aside, there is a great ice gag where Fields has trouble getting a big chunk of ice in the ice box, gets in a phone conversation while the big ice is melting on the stove and puts the melted smaller ice in the ice box with ease.

Yes, Fields is a dentist like the title suggests and the majority of this short is just an excuse for him to do some funny sketches around this premise.  First patient, the lovely Dorothy Granger.  Speaking of bending over, she does this as well.  First she shows off her leg, saying how the doctors mentions she has a bad leg.  Fields says the doctor is off his rocker.  Then she bends over and mentions how a little dog bit her leg.  This is is simply an excuse for W.C. Fields to check out her backside, there’s no way around it.  Again, getting the audience to have their jaw drop, as this was not common, even in pre code films.  I should mention when Field’s assistant mentioned Ms. Granger was ready and Fields was busy, his response was, “To Hell with her.”  Also to add to the fun, probably more shocking to modern audiences, some politically incorrect humor when Fields mentions a doctor treated a man for yellow jaundice for nine years before he found out the patient was Japanese.

Oh, but it doesn’t stop there.  Next patient in line is Fields regular Elsie Cavanna.  Now Ms. Cavanna was about six feet tall, so naturally she had really long legs.  This is important to the scene in question.  You see, as Fields is pulling her tooth, (he asks her at one point if she ever had this tooth pulled before), she squirms.  As she squirms, her foot gets caught in Fields coat pocket and eventually, her legs are wrapped around him as he’s pulling her tooth.  Yes, it looks like they’re screwing as he’s doing dental work.  A very funny bit of physical comedy, I never fail to laugh at this scene.

So we have the word Hell.  We have Fields checking out a patient’s ass, quite blatantly.  She’s also showing it off, quite blatantly.  We have tooth pulling scenes that look like a Kama Sutra manual.  We have paternal butt tapping and daughters admission the ice man is doing some butt tapping. Something tells me this one wouldn’t fly after June 1934.  Throw in the fact Fields is about the most unlikable he’s ever been on screen and it all adds up to THE DENTIST being one of the most daring comedies ever put on the screen for its time.  Love it or hate it, I promise you’ll never forget it.  The same can be said for several others.  The video linked above, posted in 2013, is close to one million views.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

Watch this version instead of the one I posted in the original review.  The music in a few gag scenes was added in years later either by some video or TV company and is very commonly shown.  The version in this post has no music as was the original intent.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Dr. Mabuse

The music was added by the notorious Raymond Rohauer to create his own copyrighted version in the late 1960s, which can be found on Criterion's out-of-print "W.C. Fields: 6 Short Films."

Offline metaldams

The music was added by the notorious Raymond Rohauer to create his own copyrighted version in the late 1960s, which can be found on Criterion's out-of-print "W.C. Fields: 6 Short Films."

Thanks for the info about that, I didn’t realize Rohauer was the man behind the music.

I do own that set you mentioned.  If one buys The Mack Sennett Collection Vol. 1 Blu Ray set, you get THE DENTIST without the music.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline HomokHarcos

W.C. Fields is completely unlikeable here, which if it was always the case would probably be annoying. But in this film it's very funny. He only cares about himself and causes lots of harm to others. He even mistreats his daughter harshly, the person he is usually closest to. This is one of those very rare movies where it's not just risque for its time, I believe it would be considered edgy even by today's standards! Let's make a special mention to Mack Sennett, after two decades of being one of the top comedy producers in Hollywood, these W.C. Fields shorts were his last major releases as a studio head as far as I'm aware.

Offline Dr. Mabuse

Excellent review. Undiluted Fields is nothing short of sublime.  Next to "The Fatal Glass of Beer," my favorite Fields-Sennett collaboration.

10/10

Offline metaldams

Excellent review. Undiluted Fields is nothing short of sublime.  Next to "The Fatal Glass of Beer," my favorite Fields-Sennett collaboration.

10/10

I’m a big fan of FATAL GLASS OF BEER, which is about as different from THE DENTIST as can be.  Will get to that one at some point.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Bunionhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!
Having become now a seasoned veteran of old comedy, I felt safe using this as my intro to W.C. Fields.  This was an astoundingly profane and hilarious two-reeled.  I wonder how much of a hand W.C. actually had in this.  We have "to hell with him", butt and leg jokes, camera work to imply sex (including the profane pun of him screwing/drilling her teeth in this position), butt slapping (and such jokes), throwing a caddy in the water, and even W.C. wrenching his daughter's arm.  This one is hilarious to a comedy veteran, but nothing I would ever show my girlfriend.

At first, it seemed he was going to be a typical series of medical jokes, but it quickly devolved into horrid violence being performed on the patients.  But what a glorious series of torments.  We get some stock gags along the way as well to help create a torrent of comedy.
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline metaldams

Having become now a seasoned veteran of old comedy, I felt safe using this as my intro to W.C. Fields.  This was an astoundingly profane and hilarious two-reeled.  I wonder how much of a hand W.C. actually had in this.  We have "to hell with him", butt and leg jokes, camera work to imply sex (including the profane pun of him screwing/drilling her teeth in this position), butt slapping (and such jokes), throwing a caddy in the water, and even W.C. wrenching his daughter's arm.  This one is hilarious to a comedy veteran, but nothing I would ever show my girlfriend.

At first, it seemed he was going to be a typical series of medical jokes, but it quickly devolved into horrid violence being performed on the patients.  But what a glorious series of torments.  We get some stock gags along the way as well to help create a torrent of comedy.

Glad you enjoyed this! Fields did write this and was very much the author of his own character.  Check out the five talking shorts he made, the four Paramount features he was solely top billed in from 1934 - 1935 and his four later Universal features as his best work.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline NoahYoung

Definitely my favorite Fields short, not that there were many.
I had always seen it without background music until American Movie Classics showed it in the '90s with music, and it seemed weird.
I didn't get all the jokes when I first saw this at 9 or 10 years old.  :)
I never really paid attention to the butt slapping. Now that I've read that above, I need to view it again for the 101st time.

How about at the end of the golf scene: "You can take this gold course and s...", sound drops out as the scene fades out.

The yellow jaundice line is classic, as is "It's rather fortunate it wasn't a Newfoundland dog that bit you", said to the gorgeous Dorothy Granger. (Who later played Leon Errol's wife in many shorts. She even turned up in at least one episode of THE ABBOTT & COSTELLO SHOW.) I never got that line until years later -- apparently a Newfoundland dog is a lot bigger, and it would have bit her in the butt. Fields re-uses the line in NEVER GIVE A SUCKER AN EVEN BREAK, but this time it is a man who was bitten by the dog.

You gotta love the old lady who tell Fields where his ball is, "if it isn't unfair."
Fields, under his breath: "If it isn't unfair, but I've been looking for the ball 20 minutes."

How about the old man: "This certainly is a great game for your health", then Fields' teed gold ball strikes him on the head and knocks him out.

Burt Lancaster was too short!
- The Birdman of Alcatraz

Offline metaldams

I really need to check out those Leon Errol shorts and I have heard of Dorothy Granger’s role in them.  She was also in some Stooge shorts and started at Roach in addition to Bud and Lou you mentioned much later.  Yeah, she was a comedy lifer.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline HomokHarcos

I really need to check out those Leon Errol shorts and I have heard of Dorothy Granger’s role in them.  She was also in some Stooge shorts and started at Roach in addition to Bud and Lou you mentioned much later.  Yeah, she was a comedy lifer.
I too was hoping to watch the Edgar Kennedy and Leon Errol series eventually. Maybe also Joe McDoakes.

Offline NoahYoung

Dorothy Granger was still gorgeous in the 50s in THE A&C SHOW.
She's great in 2 Charley Chase shorts I've seen many times: LOOSER THAN LOOSE and THE PIP FROM PITTSBURGH.
According to THE LAUREL & HARDY ENCYCLOPEDIA, by Glenn Mitchell, (written while she was still living, the entry on her only gives a birth year, but she died in January 1995, shortly before it was published), she was in at least 6 Chase shorts. It says she had an 8mm copy of THE LAUREL-HARDY MURDER CASE in which she appeared, and that she appeared in all the foreign-language versions of that film, too.

I've seen 5 or less Leon Errol shorts -- I don't think any of them had Dorothy Granger. I would definitely like to see more.
I enjoyed him in HER MAJESTY LOVE, NEVER GIVE A SUCKER AN EVEN BREAK (both with W.C. Fields), as well as THE NOOSE HANGS HIGH (Abbott and Costello).
Burt Lancaster was too short!
- The Birdman of Alcatraz