Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

What are your favorite TV comedies?

Offline HomokHarcos

This is a film comedy forum, so I'm curious what people have to say about TV comedies. What are your personal favorite TV comedies? I'm really into sitcoms from the 1950s and 1960s. So the ones I like are:
I Love Lucy
The Dick van Dyke Show
The Honeymooners
The George Burns and Gracie Allen Show

I've come to the realization that I enjoy film comedy (especially the short subjects) more than the made-for-TV comedies.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2020, 11:49:09 AM by HomokHarcos »

Offline metaldams

Not as deep into or (quite) as old as my taste in film comedy.

Married With Children
The Jeffersons
All in the Family
The Simpsons
That 70’s Show
South Park
Frasier
Seinfeld
Abbott and Costello (but of course)
Big Bang Theory
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Shemp_Diesel

A few of my favorites:

Get Smart
Married w/ Children
Sanford & Son
Bewitched
Frasier
Abbott and Costello
Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Offline ProfessorStooge

I don't really watch that much TV anymore, but here a few of my favorite TV comedies:

Whose Line Is It Anyway?
The Addams Family
The Red Green Show
Mr. Iglesias

Offline Dr. Mabuse

Only a few immediately come to mind:

The George Burns and Gracie Allen Show
The Honeymooners
Sgt. Bilko
M*A*S*H (the first three seasons)

Offline Umbrella Sam

Here’s some of mine:

The Jack Benny Program
The Bob Newhart Show
The Mary Tyler Moore Show
Barney Miller
Friends
The Goldbergs
DuckTales (2017) (yeah, it’s animated and not a “sitcom”, but...screw it, I really like this show)
“I’ll take a milkshake...with sour milk!” -Shemp (Punchy Cowpunchers, 1950)

My blog: https://talk-about-cinema.blogspot.com

Offline HomokHarcos

Not as deep into or (quite) as old as my taste in film comedy.

Married With Children
The Jeffersons
All in the Family
The Simpsons
That 70’s Show
South Park
Frasier
Seinfeld
Abbott and Costello (but of course)
Big Bang Theory

Since this thread began I’ve started watching South Park (finished) and The Simpsons (in season eight). Do you have favorite episodes?

Offline NoahYoung

My top would have to be:

THE ODD COUPLE (Randall/Klugman version)
GET SMART
SEINFELD
EVERYBODY LOVES RAYMOND
ALL IN THE FAMILY

I'm leaving out THE HONEYMOONERS and A&C SHOW since they had such short runs. But the "Classic 39" of the former and Season 1 of the latter are top-notch.
Burt Lancaster was too short!
- The Birdman of Alcatraz

Offline metaldams

Since this thread began I’ve started watching South Park (finished) and The Simpsons (in season eight). Do you have favorite episodes?

It’s been so long since I’ve watched either.  With South Park, there was this one episode where Cartman slowly tortured his enemy to the point where he cooked the kid’s Mom in chili and made him eat it.  So sick and bizarre I had to laugh.  The original Christmas Poo episode is great too.  I saw that when it aired at my grandmother’s house and when the little piece of poo started talking and leaving stains everywhere he hopped, I lost my breath laughing.  I guess it was more shocking back then than today.

The Simpsons, gotta go for the Mr Burns baseball team one with all the 80’s and 90’s MLB players. 
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline HomokHarcos

My top would have to be:

THE ODD COUPLE (Randall/Klugman version)
GET SMART
SEINFELD
EVERYBODY LOVES RAYMOND
ALL IN THE FAMILY

I'm leaving out THE HONEYMOONERS and A&C SHOW since they had such short runs. But the "Classic 39" of the former and Season 1 of the latter are top-notch.
From the sounds of it CBS was pushing Jackie Gleason to do more seasons of The Honeymooners, but he preferred doing his variety show.

Offline HomokHarcos

It’s been so long since I’ve watched either.  With South Park, there was this one episode where Cartman slowly tortured his enemy to the point where he cooked the kid’s Mom in chili and made him eat it.  So sick and bizarre I had to laugh.  The original Christmas Poo episode is great too.  I saw that when it aired at my grandmother’s house and when the little piece of poo started talking and leaving stains everywhere he hopped, I lost my breath laughing.  I guess it was more shocking back then than today.

The Simpsons, gotta go for the Mr Burns baseball team one with all the 80’s and 90’s MLB players.
Scott Tenorman Must Die where he feeds the kid his parents. I like the Cartman-Butters pairings the best, such as when he wants to go to Casa Bonita or thinks he’s dead.

The baseball one is one of my favorite Simpsons episodes, along with the No Homers Club episode and Homer’s Enemy with Frank Grimes.

Offline NoahYoung

From the sounds of it CBS was pushing Jackie Gleason to do more seasons of The Honeymooners, but he preferred doing his variety show.

Where he continued HONEYMOONERS sketches anyway, some way more than a half hour! I haven't watched those "lost" episodes since they became "unlost" in the 80s. I only saw a few, and none of them could hold a candle to the "Classic 39".
Gleason stated years later that he didn't want to continue the series since he knew he couldn't maintain that level of quality. He was right.

Burt Lancaster was too short!
- The Birdman of Alcatraz

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Bunionhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!
Golden Girls
Mary Tyler Moore
I Love Lucy
Star Trek: TOS
M*A*S*H*
Sanford and Son
The Bob Newhart Show

I can't really like more than snippets of others.  They have moments, but the ones I listed consistently make me laugh every time I watch them.
#1 fire kibitzer