Film & Shorts Discussions > Random Comedy Reviews

Tramp, Tramp, Tramp (1926) - Harry Langdon

<< < (2/3) > >>

Umbrella Sam:
https://talk-about-cinema.blogspot.com/2018/04/tramp-tramp-tramp-1926-review.html

When I read the scribe file articles I shared in the COUNCIL ON DE FENCE post recently, one thing that really stuck out to me was how they described Langdon as taking things slow, because I think that’s both a positive and a negative thing in the case of this movie. On the one hand, like most of the other Langdon movies I’ve seen, this leads to some very unique comedy situations like the tiny hammer scene. I couldn’t see Lloyd or even Keaton pulling that off in the same way. At the same time, though, there are scenes like the cab driver scene that really aren’t funny from the start, since he’s annoying someone who doesn’t really deserve to be annoyed, and because Langdon’s style is to take things slow, this means that he spends way too long on stuff like that. TRAMP, TRAMP, TRAMP is perfectly fine entertainment, and it is cool seeing Joan Crawford in such an early role, but I do think THE STRONG MAN is a better example of a Harry Langdon feature, as most of the comedic setups are better and he has kind of a sweet story to go with it too. I really should check out LONG PANTS. I’m checking out HOUSE OF ERRORS for my next blog review, but maybe I’ll continue the “Harry Langdon” theme and check out LONG PANTS after that.

metaldams:

--- Quote from: Umbrella Sam on October 31, 2020, 10:52:38 PM ---https://talk-about-cinema.blogspot.com/2018/04/tramp-tramp-tramp-1926-review.html

When I read the scribe file articles I shared in the COUNCIL ON DE FENCE post recently, one thing that really stuck out to me was how they described Langdon as taking things slow, because I think that’s both a positive and a negative thing in the case of this movie. On the one hand, like most of the other Langdon movies I’ve seen, this leads to some very unique comedy situations like the tiny hammer scene. I couldn’t see Lloyd or even Keaton pulling that off in the same way. At the same time, though, there are scenes like the cab driver scene that really aren’t funny from the start, since he’s annoying someone who doesn’t really deserve to be annoyed, and because Langdon’s style is to take things slow, this means that he spends way too long on stuff like that. TRAMP, TRAMP, TRAMP is perfectly fine entertainment, and it is cool seeing Joan Crawford in such an early role, but I do think THE STRONG MAN is a better example of a Harry Langdon feature, as most of the comedic setups are better and he has kind of a sweet story to go with it too. I really should check out LONG PANTS. I’m checking out HOUSE OF ERRORS for my next blog review, but maybe I’ll continue the “Harry Langdon” theme and check out LONG PANTS after that.

--- End quote ---

I would love to hear your take on LONG PANTS.  I could only begin to imagine the review.  That’s a film I should get to as well and will someday, but all I’ll say is it’s a film you’ll never forget.

HomokHarcos:

--- Quote from: metaldams on October 31, 2020, 08:34:11 PM ---Definitely check out the Sennett Langdons.  If you like the five First National features, I have no doubt you’ll like the shorts.

Here is the other Langdon review I did for FIDDLESTICKS.

https://moronika.com/forums/index.php/topic,6627.0.html

As far as Joan Crawford, yes, it is amazing the way her look changed.  She was never a homely woman and I’m not one of these guys who thinks all women look better when they were younger, but in the case of Joan, it’s almost shocking to see her in her silent work.  A very beautiful young women.

--- End quote ---

Once I finish watching through Our Gang, there are a few more I am considering:
The rest of Harry Langdon (I've only seen the First National period)
Charley Chase
Mabel Normand (Excluding the ones with Chaplin I've already watched)
Roscoe Arbuckle (Excluding the ones with Keaton I've already watched)
Larry Semon
Stan Laurel solos
Wheeler and Woolsey
Jerry Lewis (including the ones with Dean)

As for Long Pants that may actually be my favorite of the Langdon features. Either that or The Chaser. Three's a Crowd has my favorite set.

metaldams:
Bump.  When you’re done with SATURDAY AFTERNOON, revisit this one, as it’s the next in line in releases for Langdon.

Paul Pain:
I took a week off from reviewing to give myself time to watch this one... which took four days in my case!

TRAMP, TRAMP, TRAMP is a pleasant film that never fails to keep your interest even if a couple moments are a bit tedious.  Harry is just so disconnected from the world, and it is manifest in so many ways.

As metaldams said before, Harry never is with the other walkers but is merely among them.  He walks funny and can't walk straight, he has no focus, and doesn't even know where he is going half the time.  He walks in circles, talks to no one, and has this ridiculously childlike complex that just defines him perfectly.

How many people would know that the legendary Joan Crawford (a.k.a. Mommy Dearerst, who used coat hangers to violent effect before Mario Puzo did) had one of her first starring roles in a Harry Langdon silent?  I, for one, did not expect this and for a moment even wondered if it was a different person of the same name.

The highlight is definitely that cliff hanging scene.  While it occurs at the midpoint, it's the funniest part as he's so clueless and then is so relaxed when he thinks he is saving himself by nailing his shirt to the fence.  That moment and the scene in the hotel room are quintessential Harry Langdon.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version