Film & Shorts Discussions > Random Comedy Reviews

One A.M. (1916) - Charlie Chaplin

(1/3) > >>

metaldams:

ONE A.M. has always been one of my favorite Charlie Chaplin films.  Short number four out of twelve he made for Mutual Film Corporation - a period between 1916 - 1917 where Chaplin’s work was really maturing yet hints of his youth were still prevalent as he was only in his late twenties.  Really a good set of films to get acquainted with Chaplin.

ONE A.M. does not always get the accolades some of the other Mutual shorts get because there are no mature or socially aware themes and quite frankly, is not all that easy to wax poetic about.  Why?  This is pure physical comedy we’re dealing with.  Brilliant physical comedy, but just physical comedy nonetheless, so people don’t fawn over this one the way they do THE IMMIGRANT or EASY STREET.  No class struggles, no historic portrayals of Ellis island, no pathos - ONE A.M. is simply the highest of peaks in portraying Chaplin as what he originally was when he started making films - an amazing physical comedian we can’t take our eyes off of.

The plot of the film is quite simple.  Chaplin is drunk.  He gets gets out of a taxi in front of his house and tries to go to bed.  That is all the plot synopsis you need.  With the sole exception of taxi driver Albert Austin, sitting there hysterically wooden as he waits for Chaplin to pay his fare, Chaplin is the only actor in this film.  It’s all about the physical things he does in this simple premise of being drunk, the props he uses and the way the gags just build one after the other. 

Getting out of a car is an ordeal, slamming the door with his arm draped over the window constantly as he tries to reach in his pockets to try to find pocket change.  Getting into the house is an ordeal.  Getting up those stairs is an ordeal, perhaps the funniest ordeal in the short.  Man does Chaplin milk this brilliantly - and the way he keeps falling down those stairs is incredible, not to mention the balance he has as he is preventing himself from falling on them.  Falling to the ground is an excuse to pour himself another drink, be afraid of the animal carpets on the ground and get dizzy on that spinning table.  The clock at the top of the stairs, the wall bed in the bedroom, all great props that Chaplin uses to their full potential.  However, Chaplin’s physical being is the greatest prop of all, just his movement and athleticism is such a sight to behold.

ONE A.M. is a damn funny film.  All you have to do is watch Chaplin the whole time and appreciate his art at its most basic form.  Highly entertaining, watch this short in the link above and enjoy yourselves.

Paul Pain:
This was an astounding introduction to Charlie Chaplin for this here fan of classic comedy.  Man, do they know how to milk a gag for all it's worth without going overboard.  Out of several hundred moments, only two struck me as duds.  For 26 minutes, I am happy.

Everything is a tormenting ordeal, and it's nicely kept together by the recurring attempt to smoke the unlit cigarette and the drink from the decanter.

GreenCanaries:
Fittingly, it is about 1am here as I post this. In a way, this short kind of reminds me of TOWED IN A HOLE: only one brief appearance from a supporting actor (Albert Austin, Billy Gilbert) and the rest is the star(s) making the most out of one setpiece.

Some of my favorite parts were: Austin as the cab driver, who finally springs to life when Chaplin gives him the cigarette; Chaplin entering through the window only to find his key...; Chaplin finally solving the coat/table dilemma only to step on his coat and find himself in the same fix again; Chaplin failing to hang his coat on the rack and solving the problem by... putting his coat back on (and the little rug slide before then); Chaplin stumbling down the stairs backwards without falling; and the twists with the Murphy bed (upside down, the frame breaking). Lots of great stuff here.

I also kind of like how the pads on the stairs get exposed when Chaplin takes the carpet down with him. I did notice beforehand that they were quite squishy-looking.

metaldams:
Glad you guys enjoyed this one!  I’ll review another short soon.  Yes, I too noticed the padding on the stairs and it’s even obvious before it’s exposed.  Chaplin would injure himself without it, no doubt.  I’ll just reside myself that the the character drinks so much he had padding installed because this regularly happens.

One thing I forgot to add is he’s so drunk to climb the stairs yet he’s able to climb that pole to get to the upper floor.  Definitely adds to the humor.

Paul Pain:
There were so many fun things in this one.  Speaking of which...

When Charlie is walking on the table, pay attention to the pendulum on the clock.  It gives away what we already know to be an accelerated piece of film.  Camera effects are so important in these silent films and so underappreciated.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version