Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Random Comedy question...

Offline Shemp_Diesel

OK, I get this forum is generally reserved for classic comedians, but I can't remember if we've discussed more modern comedies aside from various youtube vids that have already been posted. I'm not sure either what I would consider more "Modern Era" comedy, either (maybe post 60s or 70s)...

Anyways, here are some of my more modern favorites & feel free to post yours (if it hasn't been done already)...

Conan O' Brien
Dave Chappelle
Eddie Murphy
Stephen Colbert
Kelsey Grammer
Jonathan Katz
David Duchovny (I think he counts)....
Cedric the Entertainer
Bernie Mac

Just to name several off the top of my head...   ;)
Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Offline metaldams

The past twenty years, really just THE BIG BANG THEORY and SOUTH PARK is all that comes to mind.

I’m not as much a TV show guy as I am a classic comedy guy these days, but there are definitely shows I enjoy a lot.  Seinfeld, Fraiser, The Jeffersons, early Simpsons, Married With Children (a show which would not survive today’s P.C. mob), Fresh Prince of Bel Air....I enjoy all these shows.  Never been much a stand up comedy guy with few exceptions.

As far as modern movies - eh.  I found out something interesting.  At age 38 (three years ago) I figured out I’m high functioning autistic after doing research and got the diagnosis to confirm.  Modern movies tend to have hyper fast paced editing, loud music randomly playing everywhere and just have too much sensory stuff going on.  Older movies are more my pace neurologically.  I didn’t discover older movies on a deep level until my early twenties and before that there were individual movies I liked, but I wasn’t really a movie guy.  So yeah, it really is neurological with me and old movies.  I am slowly digging more modern horror stuff, though.

OK, to answer the heavy metal question, as loud as that music is, they play tight and in time, so sensory wise, the music is very organized.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Shemp_Diesel

I believe the last movie I went to see in a theater was "The Dark Knight", mainly for Heath's performance as the Joker (the new Joker looks great, too)...

Of course, there's also more recent "Lampoon" movies where--to be honest--it's the titillation factor rather than comedy....
Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Offline metaldams

I believe the last movie I went to see in a theater was "The Dark Knight", mainly for Heath's performance as the Joker (the new Joker looks great, too)...

Of course, there's also more recent "Lampoon" movies where--to be honest--it's the titillation factor rather than comedy....

The last Batman movie I saw in the theater was the Michael Keaton, Jack Nicholson, Kim Basinger movie in 1989.  Never got into the comic book thing.

The last movie I saw in the theater wasn’t that long ago, THE INVISIBLE MAN.  A much different take, but good.  I think modern horror works better than most modern comedy for me,
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

...and even though I said stand up is not usually my thing,  I make an exception for George Carlin and Chris Rock.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Muttonhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!
For me, for "Modern Era" material...
Mama's Family
Golden Girls
Cosby Show
Night Court

Not quite the right time, but hard to believe that Betty White and Gavin McLeod are the only ones left of the core group from THE MARY TYLER MOORE SHOW.
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline hiramhorwitz

Not quite the right time, but hard to believe that Betty White and Gavin McLeod are the only ones left of the core group from THE MARY TYLER MOORE SHOW.

Not to mention Ed Asner.