Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Welcome To Cult Movie Reviews

Offline metaldams

The first review will probably be in the next few days, either this weekend or early next week.  In the meantime, please let me know what films you’d like to see me review here.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Shemp_Diesel

Cult movies with Lon Chaney would be off the top of my head; Spider-Baby & Witchcraft...
Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Offline metaldams

Cult movies with Lon Chaney would be off the top of my head; Spider-Baby & Witchcraft...

I see Spider Baby is on YouTube, so I’ll consider that one very soon.  I have never seen Witchcraft, only clips.  You’re a bigger Chaney Jr. fan than I, though I do like him.  After seeing ALLIGATOR PEOPLE and random clips from his later career, I’m coming to the conclusion he was more manic in his later on screen performances - a good thing in my eyes.  So yeah, later Chaney Jr I need to explore more.

I can promise you I’ll get to THE WOLF MAN, some of his other 40’s Universal roles and as far as the Inner Sanctums go, definitely WEIRD WOMAN and maybe the others.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

Tell you what, I already have my first film planned out, but as long as that Spider Baby clip on YouTube is watchable, I’ll make that review number two.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Shemp_Diesel

Another few good ones I thought of, from I believe the Columbia 4 pack starring Karloff, all four films featuring him as the "mad doctor," with my favorite being The Boogie Man Will Get You. That film was too fucking funny, I need to watch it again, especially when Peter Lorre is on...  :laugh:
Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Offline metaldams

Another few good ones I thought of, from I believe the Columbia 4 pack starring Karloff, all four films featuring him as the "mad doctor," with my favorite being The Boogie Man Will Get You. That film was too fucking funny, I need to watch it again, especially when Peter Lorre is on...  :laugh:

Columbia Karloff films will be tackled at one point.  I do own all six films he did for the studio.  BOOGIE MAN WILL GET YOU I just watched a few months back.

Looks like I have a free day tomorrow, so the first review will be coming.  Hints: it’s public domain so can be seen on YouTube, has an iconic horror star in his most iconic role.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Shemp_Diesel

Just one more suggestion them I'm done: The Vampire Lovers (1970)...   [cool]

Offline metaldams

Just one more suggestion them I'm done: The Vampire Lovers (1970)...   [cool]

Ingrid Pitt - 😘😍
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

I’ve decided, for a while at least, I am just going to do horror reviews.  Part of the reason is because I’ve been doing comedy reviews since 2013 and need a slight break and the other reason is because Paul is holding down the fort doing the Charley Chase reviews - which of course I will continue to comment on and I hope you guys will too.  When he’s done with those in the fall, we’ll see if I’m refreshed for comedy reviews.  I know I will be at some point.

As far as horror, I’ve decided to do all the Universal Horror films of 1931 - 1946 in order, so expect DRACULA this weekend.  To keep things fresh, I will do non Universal films maybe every other film or two, so expect other studios and eras, but Universal will be the center of this section. There is the whole what constitutes a Universal Horror film besides the obvious ones, meaning do I include the borderline stuff like SECRET OF THE BLUE ROOM or NIGHT KEY and other similar films?  That I haven’t decided yet.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Muttonhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!
Is FORBIDDEN PLANET too far from your desired output?  It's more a mix of sci-fi and horror than purely either one, but involves similarly tragic characters.
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline metaldams

Is FORBIDDEN PLANET too far from your desired output?  It's more a mix of sci-fi and horror than purely either one, but involves similarly tragic characters.

I picked up FORBIDDEN PLANET on DVD used not too long ago.  Straight horror is more my thing than straight Sci-Fi, but the two do mix a lot and FORBIDDEN PLANET I’ll get to in the next couple of months.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

FRANKENSTEIN (1931) and WITCHFINDER GENERAL (1968) are my next two reviews, though I don’t know which ones I’ll do first. 

Again, any suggestions, please let me know.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Shemp_Diesel

Should of thought of this sooner, but I've only seen it once...

&t=27s

Offline metaldams

Should of thought of this sooner, but I've only seen it once...

&t=27s

Oh yeah, me being the Bela fan I am, no doubt I’ll get to that one.  Like Witchfinder General, also inspired a band name.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

Aiming for FRANKENSTEIN this weekend, but may be early next week, it depends on how my plans go.  After that it will be something low budget (haven’t decided the film yet), then MURDERS IN THE RUE MORGUE and after that, something really famous and big budget (have decided the film).  May throw in a comedy short somewhere in the middle of this to mix things up.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

OK, the next three films have been decided.  Next review I really need to do something that belongs on Mystery Science Theater, so I bring you the camp classic - BLOODY PIT OF HORROR (1965).  Let’s see if you guys share my sense of humor with horror films.  Watch it below.

After that we continue our Universal Horror run with MURDERS IN THE RUE MORGUE (1932) and then do a classic I know we’ve all seen, KING KONG (1933).

Thanks for all the intelligent commentary you guys have been doing and man, those DRACULA and FRANKENSTEIN threads are really raking in the views.  I appreciate it.

- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

This weekend I will be away and extremely busy, so I won’t have time to watch a movie and review. I am aiming to sneak in a comedy short review or two this week, most likely an Our Gang short.

For horror films, in addition to MURDERS IN THE RUE MORGUE (1932) and KING KONG (1933), I’ve got the three after figured out.  Switching back and forth between Universal and non Universal and figure we’re due for a Hammer film, it plays out as -

THE OLD DARK HOUSE (1932)
DRACULA (1958)
THE MUMMY (1932)

So the next five are now decided, just won’t be until at least next week.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

Alright, made a decision.  Since I’m doing Universal Horror every other film, there is the whole, what constitutes a Universal horror?  Besides the obvious ones, there are those borderline entries.  My rule is this - if it’s in the Weaver/Brunas Brothers book, (see link below); and available on either DVD or Blu-Ray, I’m covering it.  The only thing I haven’t decided on is all 12 Universal Rathbone/Bruce Sherlock Holmes entries, which are all in the book.  Right now I’m thinking that whole series might be overkill, so I may do a few token entries or none at all.  That won’t be for a while, so we’ll see how I feel when the time comes.  So yes, that SECRET OF THE BLUE ROOM, available on DVD and a film I own, will be reviewed.  It’s a haunted house murder mystery with Lionel Atwill in the cast, so should be of some interest, but not straight horror.  For any genre thing, there’s gotta be some borderline stuff.  Anyhow, after THE MUMMY....

THE BODY SNATCHER (1945)
SECRET OF THE BLUE ROOM (1933)
THE CURSE OF FRANKENSTEIN (1957)
THE INVISIBLE MAN (1933)

Will try to throw in some comedy reviews along the way.

https://www.monstersinmotion.com/cart/item-list-uz-c-4_125/universal-horrors-the-studios-classic-films-19311946-book-p-9938.html
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

Next review is going to be over the next few weeks and I decided I’ll do another horror review - it’s been a while.  Not written in stone, but it will probably be either a Mario Bava or Hammer film.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

My next review has been decided upon, THE WHIP AND THE BODY (1963).  Directed by the great Mario Bava and starring Christopher Lee, a pure visual feast for the eyes.  Catch up on it before I review.

- Doug Sarnecky

Offline HomokHarcos

My next review has been decided upon, THE WHIP AND THE BODY (1963).  Directed by the great Mario Bava and starring Christopher Lee, a pure visual feast for the eyes.  Catch up on it before I review.

I have tonight off, I'll watch this movie.

Offline metaldams

I have tonight off, I'll watch this movie.

Nice.  Not sure your horror movie preferences - it’s Italian so be prepared for dubbing. Hope you like it.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

REVENGE OF FRANKENSTEIN (1958) review will be this weekend.  Whenever I do my next horror review after that, it will be the 1931 version of DR. JEKYLL AND MR. HYDE.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

Offline HomokHarcos

I’ll try to get caught up on these movies; I’m also a horror fan.

Offline metaldams

I’ll try to get caught up on these movies; I’m also a horror fan.

Right now I’m doing the Lloyd shorts and Chaplin Mutuals which should take me to the summer.  Since you’re doing Chase and Paul is doing Langdon, I may reboot a few monster reviews after that if there’s interest.

Yeah, if you or anyone else has watched any film I’ve reviewed so far, please post away on them.
- Doug Sarnecky