Film & Shorts Discussions > Random Comedy Reviews

Show Business (1932) - Zasu Pitts & Thelma Todd

(1/1)

metaldams:

It’s nice to go a little deeper into the Hal Roach filmography and review a Zasu Pitts and Thelma Todd short.  The two made several shorts together before Pitts left the team and was replaced by Patsy Kelly.  Thelma Todd at this point was establishing herself as one of the great young comic supporting actresses, appearing with several of the top comedians at several different studios in addition to working with Laurel and Hardy, Harry Langdon and Charley Chase at Roach.  Zasu Pitts also had a career as a supporting comic actress after appearing as the leading lady in Erich Von Stroheim’s epic GREED, of all things!  Both under contract to Hal Roach, it was decided to pair them up to make a female Laurel and Hardy.  While nobody beats Stan and Ollie, Ms. Todd, along with Zasu and Patsy, made a series of mostly very entertaining shorts and today’s film, SHOW BUSINESS, is no exception.

Of all the shorts these ladies made together, there’s a good reason I chose SHOW BUSINESS to review first.  There’s a lot to interest Three Stooges fans.  First off, it is directed by none other than Jules White, the only short he ever made at Hal Roach.  Released in 1932, this was produced shortly before the Columbia comedy shorts department started a year later in 1933.  We do have a couple of White trademarks here, namely the use of animals and the use of Monte Collins.  We have extensive use of a chimpanzee, including a scene where the chimp is hugging and kissing a dog.  White, the former Dogville director, gets mileage out of animals again here.  The other area of interest is this is the original version of A PAIN IN THE PULLMAN.

Like A PAIN IN THE PULLMAN, Ms. Pitts and Ms. Todd are a Vaudeville act with a monkey living in a boarding house.  Their booking agency consists of three Jewish names and an Irish name. They get a call from a guy in the agency who decidedly sounds Eastern European, yet has the Irish name.  That’s one ethnic gag I like, no matter what short it’s in.  The comedy team also runs into a star they annoy to no end and also run into mischievous girls on the train who lead the comedy team into the star’s private room.  Gags on the train’s berth also take place, including the monkey’s tail going into the berth of a drunk man, (played here by Charlie Hall), who snips the tail of the monkey with scissors.  This happens while the monkey is hiding in the clothing of Ms. Todd, causing the monkey and then Ms. Todd to panic.  As for Monte Collins, he plays the Bud Jamison role, minus the bumping of the head on the bunk.  So yeah Stooge fans, I’m sure this all sounds familiar.

While both ladies do take their bumps, including several shots into the berths and the aforementioned business with the monkey, there is a decidedly more feminine touch than The Three Stooges version.  When they are in the star’s private room, instead of making slobs of themselves confusing crabs with turtles, they see flowers and a negligee that’s belong to the star, played here by Anita Garvin instead of James C. Morton.  I love the character contrast here’s as Zasu is all jittery and pessimistic about this drawing room luxury while Thelma simply enjoys the moment.  Another feminine thing The Three Stooges never tried is having one of them parade around in lacy lingerie and black stockings.  Ms. Todd, being a beautiful young woman in her day, flaunted her sex appeal in a lot of these shorts and here is no exception. In her lingerie, she has to rush to the train station without time to dress, so she covers herself is Zasu’s coat.  At the station, Anita Garvin mistakes the coat Thelma is wearing for the coat she just misplaced and consults a police officer.  The police officer demands Thelma remove the coat and won’t give Thelma a chance to explain.  Giving in, she removes the coat and gives the people at the train station quite an eyeful.  The world is a better place for Thelma doing this gag and also a better place in that this wasn’t reworked with Curly.  Just my opinion, your mileage may vary.

So yes, Ms. Todd was a trooper who could work a slapstick gag and turn on the charm, but she was more a straight woman compared to Zasu Pitts.  Ms. Pitts had a very worried, scatterbrained type delivery which is a bit similar to Olive Oyl.  Also, check Zasu out when she tries multiple times in the beginning to hang up that phone.  All the variations of this gag and her nervousness and running around are fun to watch and a great display of her talents.  Speaking of talent, we also get Anita Garvin as the diva actress who like I mentioned, plays the James C. Morton role.  She had such a beautiful face, especially those eyes, yet at the same time, a face perfect for comedy, a very unusual combination.  Wonderful double takes, slow burns and all manners of histrionics pouring out of Ms. Garvin in this performance, an absolute treat to watch.

SHOW BUSINESS is a fine short and a fun alternative to A PAIN IN THE PULLMAN.  Not better, not worse, just different.  Video is available and on YouTube so check it out while you can, and also, if you got the dough and desire, check out the DVD set it’s available on, link below.

https://shop.tcm.com/thelma-todd-hal-roach-collection-1931-33/688474350663

metaldams:
Forgot to mention, I love Anita Garvin mentioning, in breathless hysterics, that she should have a bigger picture in headlines than Gloria Swanson and Ethel Barrymore!  Also should have mentioned the negligee and flowers Ms. Todd and Ms. Pitts thought were their’s in the private room belonged to Ms. Garvin, leading into a comic misunderstanding confrontation.

Umbrella Sam:
Well, I can definitely see where the Laurel and Hardy comparisons come from. Gags involving Pitts like the one with the phone do seem like the kinds that Laurel would do, while Todd’s frustration with Pitts and Garvin are reminiscent of Hardy. At the same time, both actresses do put their own spins on the format. Pitts was more excitable than Laurel was while Todd was more relaxed than Hardy would have been in a situation like the one in Anita Garvin’s room when she was enjoying what they thought they were given. Both approaches are unique enough and both do quite well in these roles.

Garvin and Collins also both fit their roles very well, although part of me does wish Collins would have hit his head every time he woke up just as Bud Jamison did in A PAIN IN THE PULLMAN. Also like A PAIN IN THE PULLMAN, the antics involving the upper berth are actually funny, because more is going on than just trying to get into the upper berth. Zasu flying into another berth, Thelma standing on the head of someone in the lower berth, Zasu hitting her head when Collins throws her into the berth. There is so much more variety here than the not-to-be-mentioned Laurel and Hardy version.

Overall, it’s a pretty good short. I’ve seen other films featuring Todd or Pitts, but this is my first time seeing one with them together. I’ll have to check out more when I get a chance, because this short is a good showcase for their comic talents.

9 out of 10

metaldams:

--- Quote from: Umbrella Sam on June 02, 2020, 02:18:54 AM ---Well, I can definitely see where the Laurel and Hardy comparisons come from. Gags involving Pitts like the one with the phone do seem like the kinds that Laurel would do, while Todd’s frustration with Pitts and Garvin are reminiscent of Hardy. At the same time, both actresses do put their own spins on the format. Pitts was more excitable than Laurel was while Todd was more relaxed than Hardy would have been in a situation like the one in Anita Garvin’s room when she was enjoying what they thought they were given. Both approaches are unique enough and both do quite well in these roles.

Garvin and Collins also both fit their roles very well, although part of me does wish Collins would have hit his head every time he woke up just as Bud Jamison did in A PAIN IN THE PULLMAN. Also like A PAIN IN THE PULLMAN, the antics involving the upper berth are actually funny, because more is going on than just trying to get into the upper berth. Zasu flying into another berth, Thelma standing on the head of someone in the lower berth, Zasu hitting her head when Collins throws her into the berth. There is so much more variety here than the not-to-be-mentioned Laurel and Hardy version.

Overall, it’s a pretty good short. I’ve seen other films featuring Todd or Pitts, but this is my first time seeing one with them together. I’ll have to check out more when I get a chance, because this short is a good showcase for their comic talents.

9 out of 10

--- End quote ---

Glad you like this.  Check out Thelma with Patsy Kelly too.  Patsy was a bit more high strung than Zasu, a different style that worked just as well.

Paul Pain:
I finally tried to watch this today... of course the YouTube account was pulled, and no one else has uploaded it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version