Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Teacher's Pest (1939) - Charley Chase

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Bunionhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0032008/

We stick with Columbia stock fare this week.  This is another odd short that just doesn't feel like Charley Chase.  In fact, it feels more like Andy Clyde meets El Brendel.

The entire bumpkin angle is severely overdone here to the extent that I think even contemporary audiences would be unamused.  The gags are quite forced and weakly done.  Again, the actors do a fine job, especially Richard Fiske, but it's just bad material.

I am sorry, folks, but I am too bleh on this one.  It has its moments, like shooting the man for counting, but overall it's just too... stupid.

4/10 [poke] [poke] [poke] [poke]
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline metaldams

I too liked the shooting the man for counting gag as well as granny dotting the eye on “pig” n the blackboard with a gun.  We even get the standard hot dog in a rifle gag, lots of gun play, here.

Paul is right, maybe El Brendel meets Andy Clyde, or really anybody could have done this.  Again nothing really suited for Chase’s talents, but fine as a simple two reeler to enjoy on a lazy Saturday morning like I’m doing now.  The short does look good, prime era Columbia short production values and I think I see some sets from OILY TO BED, OILY TO RISE, which I think was shot around the same time as this.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Bunionhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!
OILY TO BED was filmed in March, and this was filmed before THE AWFUL GOOF, which was filmed in September.  SKINNY THE MOOCHER was from February, so this may have been done in March!
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline Umbrella Sam

Well, no arguments from me here. A pretty boring rural comedy, although I loved the “shooting for counting” gag and I even kind of enjoyed Chase’s brief, but still over-the-top dual performance as Lou. Beyond that, it’s not really a film that fits Chase’s style all that well and seeing everyone constantly pick on Chase for no reason gets annoying pretty fast. Again, at least it’s better than THE NIGHTSHIRT BANDIT in that it doesn’t ever get too out of control, but this definitely is one of the weaker Chase shorts I’ve seen.

4 out of 10
“I’ll take a milkshake...with sour milk!” -Shemp (Punchy Cowpunchers, 1950)

My blog: https://talk-about-cinema.blogspot.com