Film & Shorts Discussions > Random Comedy Reviews

A Hard Day’s Night (1964) - The Beatles

<< < (2/2)

Umbrella Sam:
https://talk-about-cinema.blogspot.com/2018/04/a-hard-days-night-1964-review.html

Always love watching this movie. It is interesting, too, because the film is such an obvious cash grab for the time, yet since the Beatles ended up maintaining their legacy status instead of becoming one hit wonders, A HARD DAY’S NIGHT is, as Paul correctly guessed, a fascinating cultural artifact. Definitely the best of the Beatles’ feature films, thanks to its simplicity (HELP! is way too complicated for my liking).

This is a completely out of left field suggestion, but would reviewing the Beatles’ studio albums be a possibility on this forum? Considering there aren’t many of them, it wouldn’t take that long to go through their entire discography. I’d certainly be up for taking part in it, although I do find music reviews to be harder than doing movie reviews.

metaldams:

--- Quote from: Umbrella Sam on April 12, 2020, 10:37:16 PM ---https://talk-about-cinema.blogspot.com/2018/04/a-hard-days-night-1964-review.html

Always love watching this movie. It is interesting, too, because the film is such an obvious cash grab for the time, yet since the Beatles ended up maintaining their legacy status instead of becoming one hit wonders, A HARD DAY’S NIGHT is, as Paul correctly guessed, a fascinating cultural artifact. Definitely the best of the Beatles’ feature films, thanks to its simplicity (HELP! is way too complicated for my liking).

This is a completely out of left field suggestion, but would reviewing the Beatles’ studio albums be a possibility on this forum? Considering there aren’t many of them, it wouldn’t take that long to go through their entire discography. I’d certainly be up for taking part in it, although I do find music reviews to be harder than doing movie reviews.

--- End quote ---

Hmmm....I’ll consider it.  I think The Beatles are the only band just about everyone shares on this board.  Really, it can be done in the general discussion section and would not take place of comedy reviews since it would be completely separate. 

Steveb:
People who enjoy Wilfred Brambell in A HARD DAYS' NIGHT should check out STEPTOE AND SON(available on YouTube and other sharing sites), where he played-of course-Steptoe. It's the program that SANFORD AND SON is based on, but it's central theme, unlike on SANFORD, is two people who can't stand each other but can't live without one another. The scripts by Ray Galton and Alan Simpson are brilliant, and Son Harold's(Harry H. Corbett)frustration in dealing with a Father he calls a "Dirty Old Man"(the reason he's called a "Clean Old Man" in NIGHT), and who he feels stands between him and his social and artistic aspirations, is hysterically funny.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version