Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Tex Avery uncensored

Offline Waldo Twitchell

Hello,

I noticed a thread awhile back mentioning Tex Avery and was wondering if anyone had an uncut version of the cartoon 'Droopy's Good Deed' from 1951. All the current DVD/Laserdisc/VHS versions of this cartoon are edited, so I'm hoping someone taped the uncut version way back when...

Any information would be appreciated.

Pilsner Panther

Hello,

I noticed a thread awhile back mentioning Tex Avery and was wondering if anyone had an uncut version of the cartoon 'Droopy's Good Deed' from 1951. All the current DVD/Laserdisc/VHS versions of this cartoon are edited, so I'm hoping someone taped the uncut version way back when...

Any information would be appreciated.

That was me who mentioned Tex, but I don't have that cartoon, uncensored or otherwise. Everything I have of his is on those four VHS tapes called "Tex Avery's Screwball Classics" that MGM/UA/Turner put out in the 90's.

Offline Waldo Twitchell

Thanks for the reply regarding this.

Those four tapes are pretty cool and have a lot of the really good ones Avery did. 'Magical Maestro' is just a classic!
I guess they are the only official releases thus far, except for a spendy PAL only DVD set I've seen on Ebay.

Offline Marshall

I know this is a vintage topic, but just wanted to mention that The Warner Archive Collection has recently released a Blu-ray titled "Tex Avery Screwball Classics Volume 1".  It features 19 Avery MGM cartoons, including Red Hot Riding Hood,  four Droopy  titles,  The Hick Chick (a Red Skelton rooster parody in the title role), and more. Cartoons are uncensored, and picture quality is excellent. These are 4K transfers to 1080P.  The cartoons are clever and funny.

I published a web review/article of the disc yesterday. Here's the link:https://hubpages.com/entertainment/Tex-Avery-Screwball-Classics-Volume-1-Blu-ray-Review
Marshall

Offline Umbrella Sam

I know this is a vintage topic, but just wanted to mention that The Warner Archive Collection has recently released a Blu-ray titled "Tex Avery Screwball Classics Volume 1".  It features 19 Avery MGM cartoons, including Red Hot Riding Hood,  four Droopy  titles,  The Hick Chick (a Red Skelton rooster parody in the title role), and more. Cartoons are uncensored, and picture quality is excellent. These are 4K transfers to 1080P.  The cartoons are clever and funny.

I published a web review/article of the disc yesterday. Here's the link:https://hubpages.com/entertainment/Tex-Avery-Screwball-Classics-Volume-1-Blu-ray-Review
Marshall

Cool review. I was quite surprised when I found out some of Avery’s MGM cartoons were getting a Blu Ray release. I do recall them occasionally sticking Avery cartoons in Cartoon Network’s TOM AND JERRY block, but I never would have expected a Blu Ray release of Avery’s MGM work, both because of how wild they were and the fact that there never was a super popular character besides Droopy. Hopefully it sells well enough that they’ll be able to release a volume 2.
“I’ll take a milkshake...with sour milk!” -Shemp (Punchy Cowpunchers, 1950)

My blog: https://talk-about-cinema.blogspot.com

Offline Marshall

Cool review. I was quite surprised when I found out some of Avery’s MGM cartoons were getting a Blu Ray release. I do recall them occasionally sticking Avery cartoons in Cartoon Network’s TOM AND JERRY block, but I never would have expected a Blu Ray release of Avery’s MGM work, both because of how wild they were and the fact that there never was a super popular character besides Droopy. Hopefully it sells well enough that they’ll be able to release a volume 2.
Umbrella Sam,

Thanks for the kind words about the review.  I'm with you in that I was familiar with Droopy and Little Red Hot Riding Hood, but not overly familiar with  Avery's other MGM work.  I was quite impressed with the cartoons, and the picture quality is excellent. Animation historian, author, professor etc. Jerry Beck, who's one of the team behind the scenes of  the Avery release, says there will be a Volume 2 released before the end of the year. He was the guest two days ago on the Stu's Show podcast where he announced the news. So, sales must be good for the Vol. 1 Avery Blu-ray.  Jerry said there might even be bonus features on Volume 2, which hasn't been the case for the Warner Archive Popeye and now Tex Avery Blu-rays.

Marshall