Film & Shorts Discussions > Random Comedy Reviews

Pardon My Terror (1946) - Schilling & Lane

<< < (2/3) > >>

metaldams:

--- Quote from: Paul Pain on March 15, 2020, 08:28:37 PM ---Probably something like: "Here's the script.  We shoot as is, OK?"

Also give credit to Vernon Dent, Kenneth MacDonald, Christine McIntyre, and Emil Sitka for doing as well as they did given they had just recently been working with Curly and probably had been preparing for this thinking it would be the Three Stooges.  I know I would be shaken.  Unless, as was often the case, they didn't get the call to film this until the day before.

--- End quote ---

I’m not sure if it was just The Three Stooges or Columbia policy, but The Three Stooges generally had two weeks notice at least before each film.

https://natedsanders.com/the_three_stooges_signed_contract_renewal_with_col-lot54238.aspx

metaldams:
....and Emil Sitka did have a rough day, for reasons we wouldn’t guess.  His scene was done the last day of shooting.

http://www.emilsitka.com/pardonmyterror1946.html

GreenCanaries:
I think Ed Bernds talks at length about the time constraints and resulting difficulties of suddenly having to rework this from a Stooges short into a Schilling & Lane short in the Okuda/Watz COLUMBIA COMEDY SHORTS book.

Umbrella Sam:
Unlike Catlett and Collins in YOU’RE NEXT!, the personalities of Schilling and Lane are clearly established here, Lane being the leader. The problem is how obvious it is that this was supposed to be the Stooges in the leading roles. Schilling and Lane basically feel like they’re imitating the Stooges.

That’s not necessarily a bad thing the entire time. The two can occasionally pull off gags, especially that one of them imitating Phil Van Zandt when he leads them to their room. And Schilling actually does manage to pull off some good scare reactions, especially the way he screams. It’s such an over-the-top scream; it works quite well. But then you also have stuff like the punching gag and all the slapping moments; moments that are clearly suited for a Stooge, not two random comedians trying to act like Stooges.

I do see metaldams’s point regarding the seduction scene, although I appreciate that at least the interpretations have somewhat of a noticeable difference. The supporting cast is good, but they do feel somewhat underutilized. Perhaps it’s because there are so many of them (the size of this cast really surprised me). They just don’t feel like they get their proper times to shine.

Overall, a decent effort given how last minute things had to be changed, but it still does feel a bit rushed and forced at times.

6 out of 10

Dr. Mabuse:
Knowing about the production history, I finally watched "Pardon My Terror" last night and had a great time.  Directed with stylish verve by Edward Bernds, it's a fast-paced short with a terrific supporting cast.  Perhaps it would have been a classic with Curly in his prime; however, Gus Schilling and Richard Lane do a damn good job, so I didn't feel cheated.  In fact, I enjoyed the team so much that I want to track down more of their Columbia shorts.

A pity that "Pardon My Terror" wasn't included as a bonus feature on Sony's "Three Stooges: The Ultimate Collection." Interestingly enough, the TV print blacks out Christine McIntyre's cleavage at the 55-second mark.

8/10

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version