Film & Shorts Discussions > Random Comedy Reviews

You're Next! (1940) - Walter Catlett and Monty Collins

<< < (2/2)

Paul Pain:

--- Quote from: metaldams on March 06, 2020, 09:53:49 PM ---Yes, this was my first viewing.  SUPER-HOOPER-DYNE LIZZIES might get reviewed by me, though there are some I like better.  If not, then at the very least one other mid twenties Del Lord Sennett short.

Actually, November will be ABBOTT AND COSTELLO MEET THE KEYSTONE COPS.  I’ll make that a Sennett themed month.

--- End quote ---

Let it be as though it were set in stone.

Umbrella Sam:
I never knew that the origins of this script went so far back. I had always assumed that PARDON MY TERROR was the first version and then the Stooges did it as initially intended with WHO DONE IT? It is interesting to see just how much the script evolved over that time.

Walter Catlett and Monte Collins are an average comedy pairing. Both of them are funny, but it does feel like there’s not really much of an attempt to distinguish them. It seems like they’re pushing for Catlett as the con man type-leader, as that was the kind of role he usually played (Barsad, Honest John), but really the only moment where that trait shines through is when he’s trying to trick Monte into going into the building while he waits outside.

Even if they are kind of generic, that’s fine, because this is basically meant to be a fast-paced scare comedy...and as a fast-paced scare comedy, it works just fine. The reactions are funny, especially from Dudley Dickerson, and there aren’t any moments where it really feels dull. It’s by no means a great comedy...certainly not as funny as the Stooges version...but it’s still a fun way to spend 17 minutes.

7 out of 10

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version