Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Upcoming review schedule plus your suggestions

Offline HomokHarcos

Are there any plans after Led Zeppelin? If there’s any interest I feel like I’m qualified enough to cover Steely Dan, they only have 9 studio albums so it’s not too much content.

Offline metaldams

Are there any plans after Led Zeppelin? If there’s any interest I feel like I’m qualified enough to cover Steely Dan, they only have 9 studio albums so it’s not too much content.

Go for it.  We have four Zeppelin entries left (which includes a live album and Coda entry).  But yeah, do Steely Dan after that.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

Think I have my strategy for reviews once I’m done with this current Chaplin/Lloyd run.

90% chance I’m doing the Abbott and Costello TV Show episodes every other week.  The weeks I don’t review that will be either any random comedy short or feature, the occasional horror movie review, or nothing at all if I want a week off.

The week of May 9th I have off from work, so I might do an extra few reviews that week, including that Lloyd Hamilton short.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Umbrella Sam

I have a question for Paul and HomokHarcos. What’s the plan for the long run with the Langdon and Chase discussions? Are we only going to be covering the silents? I finally got around to buying the Langdon Roach set and the last two volumes of the Chase sets, so I’d be up for continuing the discussions even further after that.
“I’ll take a milkshake...with sour milk!” -Shemp (Punchy Cowpunchers, 1950)

My blog: https://talk-about-cinema.blogspot.com

Offline metaldams

I’m curious if Homok is going to conjure up any MGM distributed Chase silents.  That small window of Chase’s filmography is unfortunately by far what I’m least familiar with.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Freddie Sanborn

Not much from this period survives, but Limousine Love and Movie Night are masterpieces. To me the most tragic loss in film comedy history isn’t Hats Off or Heart Trouble. It’s Chase’s late MGM silents.
“If it’s not comedy, I fall asleep.” Harpo Marx

Offline metaldams

Not much from this period survives, but Limousine Love and Movie Night are masterpieces. To me the most tragic loss in film comedy history isn’t Hats Off or Heart Trouble. It’s Chase’s late MGM silents.

I saw bits of Limousine Love on TV years ago and loved it.  It must have been an airing of 4 Clowns.  I  see it’s on YouTube, I’ll try to watch it tonight.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Freddie Sanborn

Is it Moronika policy to only review films that are online ,so others can watch them?

Offline metaldams

Is it Moronika policy to only review films that are online ,so others can watch them?

Policy?  No.  In practice, especially as of late, we try to.  I have reviewed films in the past that are not online, (see Marx Brothers, Abbott and Costello), but with a lot of the posters here, I’m not sure of their physical media collections. Four of these guys responding are in their twenties, which is great for the future, but they’re a few years into this and can tell you their collections better than I.  Actually, I’d be curious myself.

As for me, I have been collecting for a little over twenty years and have a pretty big DVD and blu ray collection of silent and early talkie comedy. 
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline HomokHarcos

I have a question for Paul and HomokHarcos. What’s the plan for the long run with the Langdon and Chase discussions? Are we only going to be covering the silents? I finally got around to buying the Langdon Roach set and the last two volumes of the Chase sets, so I’d be up for continuing the discussions even further after that.
I also have the Langdon and Chase DVD talkie sets, I would definitely like to continue doing threads on those films, too.

Offline metaldams

I also have the Langdon and Chase DVD talkie sets, I would definitely like to continue doing threads on those films, too.

Same here.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline HomokHarcos

I just realized outside of Dr. Pyckle and Mr. Pryde we haven't done the solo Stan Laurel solo shorts. I think that's what I'm going to be doing when we're finished Charley Chase.

Offline metaldams

I just realized outside of Dr. Pyckle and Mr. Pryde we haven't done the solo Stan Laurel solo shorts. I think that's what I'm going to be doing when we're finished Charley Chase.

I was thinking of throwing some Stan Laurel stuff in randomly, but I’ll hold off if you’re going to do that.  I have both volumes of Stan Laurel DVD’s from KINO and the Laurel or Hardy blu ray, so I have a ton of stuff in my collection.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

Got the next few non Abbott and Costello reviews figured out.

6/21/22 “Toot Sweet” (1929) - Lloyd Hamilton
Week of 7/3/22 “The Sawmill” (1922) - Larry Semon
Week of 7/17/22 “Heavy Love” (1926) - A Ton of Fun
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

Week of 7/31 Love (1919) - Roscoe “Fatty” Arbuckle
Week of 8/14 You’re Telling Me (1934) - W.C. Fields
Week if 8/28 A Clever Dummy (1917) - Ben Turpin

- Doug Sarnecky

Offline HomokHarcos

Had a bit of a week. First my laptop broke so I had to get a new one, but unfortunately I bought a Chromebook that didn't have Windows, so I returned it. Finally I got my new laptop, but then the internet went out for half of Canada and I couldn't go online.

Offline metaldams

Had a bit of a week. First my laptop broke so I had to get a new one, but unfortunately I bought a Chromebook that didn't have Windows, so I returned it. Finally I got my new laptop, but then the internet went out for half of Canada and I couldn't go online.

Gosh darn Canadian Internet.  Tell Trudeau you have a Larry Semon film to review.

Sucks about your week.  Welcome back!  Hope the new laptop works for you.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline HomokHarcos

I will be visiting family in the US (for the first time in a few years), so I won’t be here for a week. My uncle also my Wheeler and Woolsey DVDs, so I might start reviewing them when I come back. I understand features take up more of people’s time, so it might not be weekly.

Offline metaldams

I will be visiting family in the US (for the first time in a few years), so I won’t be here for a week. My uncle also my Wheeler and Woolsey DVDs, so I might start reviewing them when I come back. I understand features take up more of people’s time, so it might not be weekly.

I know two of the early ones are public domain, so those are easy to find on YouTube.

Week of 9/11/22 It’s A Gift (1923) - Snub Pollard
Week of 9/25/22 Hollywood or Bust (1956) - Martin and Lewis
Week of 10/2/22 Bela Lugosi Meets a Brooklyn Gorilla (1952) - Petrillo and Mitchell, Bela Lugosi, Muriel Landers

Trust me, the third one will make sense after the second one, plus it’s October and appropriate for Bela
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Freddie Sanborn

If there’s a place on the internet that offers more thoughtful, insightful reviews of classic comedy, both well-known and obscure, I haven’t found it yet.

Offline metaldams

If there’s a place on the internet that offers more thoughtful, insightful reviews of classic comedy, both well-known and obscure, I haven’t found it yet.

Thanks….and if you do find it, let me know!  [pie]

I genuinely appreciate the compliment.  We’ll see how thoughtful I can be with Martin and Lewis and a film I haven’t seen before.  Admittedly a hair out of my wheelhouse.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

Here are the remainder of the October reviews, all horror/sci-fi elements.  We’ll resume Bud and Lou in November.

Week of 10/9: The Tin Man (1935) - Todd and Kelly *
Week of 10/16: Master Minds (1949) - The Bowery Boys, Glenn Strange **
Week of 10/23: Shivering Spooks (1926) - Our Gang ***
Week of 10/30: The Gorilla (1939) - The Ritz Brothers, Bela Lugosi, Patsy Kelly, Lionel Atwill ****

I’m trying to branch out from YouTube because it opens up my reviewing options.

*Not available online as far as I know, but I believe some of you have DVD copies.
** Available on the streaming service Tubi, which if you don’t have I highly recommend because there are a ton of movies
***On YouTube, but I’ve never seen this short myself, so I’m taking a quality risk.  Usually I at least have a good DVD copy for myself, but not here.
**** Public domain and can be viewed on YouTube or a zillion other places.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline HomokHarcos

I'm going to be covering the Harry Langdon Roach shorts next, and after that I'll hopefully continue Charley Chase with Wheeler and Woolsey sprinkled in.

Offline metaldams

I'm going to be covering the Harry Langdon Roach shorts next, and after that I'll hopefully continue Charley Chase with Wheeler and Woolsey sprinkled in.

Nice!

The Todd and Kelly short is tomorrow and there may be a bonus the last week of October - it’s a PTO week and I’ll have more time.
- Doug Sarnecky