Film & Shorts Discussions > Random Comedy Reviews

Upcoming review schedule plus your suggestions

<< < (9/18) > >>

GenoCuddy:

--- Quote from: metaldams on February 22, 2021, 03:24:56 PM ---I know nothing of Lum and Abner, but I was just on YouTube and one of their videos popped up in my suggestions - from your channel.  I’ll check them out soon for sure.

--- End quote ---

Although I appreciate the viewership, I'd honestly start with The Bashful Bachelor, it is the truest in spirit to the original radio program of any of their films.

Lum and Abner Abroad was the last thing they ever did and its a sad film in many respects, starting out with that would be like discovering Laurel and Hardy through Atoll K.

GenoCuddy:

--- Quote from: Umbrella Sam on February 22, 2021, 04:34:06 PM ---I’ve listened to a little bit of the Lum and Abner radio show. Honestly, I didn’t find it that funny, but who knows? Maybe the features are better.

--- End quote ---

I love Lum and Abner and they were a bigger success in features than Amon 'n' Andy. I have two Radio Spirits cassette sets and I listen frequently. I think they are hilarious, especially when Abner misconstrues on of Lum's sayings. Lauck and Goff certainly were talented as it was them two doing all of the voices.

Umbrella Sam:

--- Quote from: GenoCuddy on February 22, 2021, 06:39:08 PM ---I love Lum and Abner and they were a bigger success in features than Amon 'n' Andy. I have two Radio Spirits cassette sets and I listen frequently. I think they are hilarious, especially when Abner misconstrues on of Lum's sayings. Lauck and Goff certainly were talented as it was them two doing all of the voices.

--- End quote ---

To be fair, it’s been a long time since I listened to it, and if I recall correctly, the tape quality was pretty poor. I’ve listened to a lot of classic radio, and whatever episodes I listened to of LUM AND ABNER were some of the worst sounding programs I listened to as far as preservation went. Kind of hard to judge something when you can barely hear what they’re actually saying.

How is the quality on the Radio Spirits sets? From my understanding, they’re usually pretty reliable when it comes to those kind of details (I only have the “Drawing a Blanc” set for The Jack Benny Program).

GenoCuddy:

--- Quote from: Umbrella Sam on February 22, 2021, 06:59:03 PM ---To be fair, it’s been a long time since I listened to it, and if I recall correctly, the tape quality was pretty poor. I’ve listened to a lot of classic radio, and whatever episodes I listened to of LUM AND ABNER were some of the worst sounding programs I listened to as far as preservation went. Kind of hard to judge something when you can barely hear what they’re actually saying.

How is the quality on the Radio Spirits sets? From my understanding, they’re usually pretty reliable when it comes to those kind of details (I only have the “Drawing a Blanc” set for The Jack Benny Program).

--- End quote ---

Judging the cassette collections, they sound immaculate, almost as if they were recorded yesterday! Here are what one of the covers look like.

HomokHarcos:
Once we're done Charley Chase (which should take us to next year) I'm hoping to get to the Wheeler and Woolsey movies if there is enough interest in that. I got them shipped to my uncle (it was cheaper where he lives) but I haven't been able to visit because of the pandemic. Hopefully by next year things have settled down and I can get them.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version