Film & Shorts Discussions > Random Comedy Reviews

Upcoming review schedule plus your suggestions

<< < (8/18) > >>

metaldams:
Oh, and concerning you uploading those rare Clark and McCullough shorts, here’s a thread on this board about it.  Thanks for doing it.

https://moronika.com/forums/index.php/topic,6577.msg55984.html#msg55984

I’m “metaldams78” on YouTube, I commented on those videos.

HomokHarcos:

--- Quote from: GenoCuddy on January 07, 2021, 03:35:48 PM ---I'd love to see on this forum, a little love given to Bobby Clark and Paul McCullough. Shameless plug, I've uploaded their entire surviving filmography on my YouTube channel [Geno's House of Rare Films] and I love Clark and McCullough, a hilarious team that met a very sad end. Their 1934 short for RKO, Odor in the Court, is hilarious and experts from Richard W. Bann to Leonard Maltin have rated among the best two-reel comedies ever made. Their comedy was quite surreal [see 1931's False Roomers] and many of the early RKO's star James Finlayson. There is even a masochistic bent to their short Jitters The Butler, where the title character, played by the great Robert Greig, delights in having his rumpus room kicked by Clark. Their 1929 short, Waltzing Around is a delightful 30 minute comedy and was hailed by film critic and podcaster Phil Hall as the find of the year when I shared the lone surviving print to my channel two years ago. They have gotten an undeserved bad reputation over the years, a particular scathing overview of their work was given by Ed Watz in his tome on Wheeler and Woolsey, but I think you'll find them to be a hilarious, high-speed comedy team, with no shortage of surrealism to carry the laughs along.

--- End quote ---
Excellent, thanks for letting us know! I was wondering what to watch when I finished the Harry Langdon shorts, I guess Clark and McCullough is my answer.

GenoCuddy:
I'd like to suggest a look back at the brief cinematic careers of Chester Lauck and Norris Goff as Lum and Abner. They made seven films, four of which are public domain.
Dreaming Out Loud, The Bashful Bachelor, Two Weeks To Live, So This is Washington, Goin To Town, Partners in Time and Lum and Abner Abroad. Their humor was influential to other rural-themed productions like The Beverly Hillbillies and The Andy Griffith Show. Norris Goff actually had a pivotal role as a shopkeeper in the first color episode of TAGS.

The Bashful Bachelor was actually written by Lauck and Goff and is truer to their long running radio show of which the pair is most known. Lum and Abner Abroad is a stitching together of three failed television pilots in to one feature, the final project of Lum and Abner. Two Weeks To Live has character stars Kay Linaker [she who invented The Blob], Franklin Pangborn, Luis Alberni and Charles Gemora in an ape suit.

metaldams:

--- Quote from: GenoCuddy on February 20, 2021, 06:20:57 PM ---I'd like to suggest a look back at the brief cinematic careers of Chester Lauck and Norris Goff as Lum and Abner. They made seven films, four of which are public domain.
Dreaming Out Loud, The Bashful Bachelor, Two Weeks To Live, So This is Washington, Goin To Town, Partners in Time and Lum and Abner Abroad. Their humor was influential to other rural-themed productions like The Beverly Hillbillies and The Andy Griffith Show. Norris Goff actually had a pivotal role as a shopkeeper in the first color episode of TAGS.

The Bashful Bachelor was actually written by Lauck and Goff and is truer to their long running radio show of which the pair is most known. Lum and Abner Abroad is a stitching together of three failed television pilots in to one feature, the final project of Lum and Abner. Two Weeks To Live has character stars Kay Linaker [she who invented The Blob], Franklin Pangborn, Luis Alberni and Charles Gemora in an ape suit.

--- End quote ---

I know nothing of Lum and Abner, but I was just on YouTube and one of their videos popped up in my suggestions - from your channel.  I’ll check them out soon for sure.

Umbrella Sam:
I’ve listened to a little bit of the Lum and Abner radio show. Honestly, I didn’t find it that funny, but who knows? Maybe the features are better.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version