Film & Shorts Discussions > Random Comedy Reviews

Upcoming review schedule plus your suggestions

<< < (7/18) > >>

metaldams:

--- Quote from: HomokHarcos on October 10, 2020, 11:30:09 AM ---I'm looking forward to that. I haven't yet seen Langdon's short films (only his features), but I plan on going through his silent shorts once I finish watching the Our Gang silents.
Is 18 the amount of shorts you have available, or are some of the Columbia films lost?

--- End quote ---

The Our Gang silents I have only seen a small handful of.  Are you watching them on YouTube?  I have liked the few I have seen.

HomokHarcos:

--- Quote from: metaldams on October 11, 2020, 07:55:09 AM ---The Our Gang silents I have only seen a small handful of.  Are you watching them on YouTube?  I have liked the few I have seen.

--- End quote ---
Yes, I am watching them on YouTube, a lot of of them are on there.

Paul Pain:

--- Quote from: HomokHarcos on October 10, 2020, 11:30:09 AM ---Is 18 the amount of shorts you have available, or are some of the Columbia films lost?

--- End quote ---

Both.  One short is lost, and three are believed to exist in selfish private collections,

GenoCuddy:
I'd love to see on this forum, a little love given to Bobby Clark and Paul McCullough. Shameless plug, I've uploaded their entire surviving filmography on my YouTube channel [Geno's House of Rare Films] and I love Clark and McCullough, a hilarious team that met a very sad end. Their 1934 short for RKO, Odor in the Court, is hilarious and experts from Richard W. Bann to Leonard Maltin have rated among the best two-reel comedies ever made. Their comedy was quite surreal [see 1931's False Roomers] and many of the early RKO's star James Finlayson. There is even a masochistic bent to their short Jitters The Butler, where the title character, played by the great Robert Greig, delights in having his rumpus room kicked by Clark. Their 1929 short, Waltzing Around is a delightful 30 minute comedy and was hailed by film critic and podcaster Phil Hall as the find of the year when I shared the lone surviving print to my channel two years ago. They have gotten an undeserved bad reputation over the years, a particular scathing overview of their work was given by Ed Watz in his tome on Wheeler and Woolsey, but I think you'll find them to be a hilarious, high-speed comedy team, with no shortage of surrealism to carry the laughs along.

metaldams:

--- Quote from: GenoCuddy on January 07, 2021, 03:35:48 PM ---I'd love to see on this forum, a little love given to Bobby Clark and Paul McCullough. Shameless plug, I've uploaded their entire surviving filmography on my YouTube channel [Geno's House of Rare Films] and I love Clark and McCullough, a hilarious team that met a very sad end. Their 1934 short for RKO, Odor in the Court, is hilarious and experts from Richard W. Bann to Leonard Maltin have rated among the best two-reel comedies ever made. Their comedy was quite surreal [see 1931's False Roomers] and many of the early RKO's star James Finlayson. There is even a masochistic bent to their short Jitters The Butler, where the title character, played by the great Robert Greig, delights in having his rumpus room kicked by Clark. Their 1929 short, Waltzing Around is a delightful 30 minute comedy and was hailed by film critic and podcaster Phil Hall as the find of the year when I shared the lone surviving print to my channel two years ago. They have gotten an undeserved bad reputation over the years, a particular scathing overview of their work was given by Ed Watz in his tome on Wheeler and Woolsey, but I think you'll find them to be a hilarious, high-speed comedy team, with no shortage of surrealism to carry the laughs along.

--- End quote ---

First off, welcome to the board.  I enjoyed reading your Fox Laurel and Hardy reviews.  No need to plug your channel, at least with me - I’m already a subscriber. You have a great channel.

As far as Clark and McCullough, reviewing them is a great idea and I am going to do that.  ONE NIGHT IN THE TROPICS is my next review but after that I will review one of their shorts.  I do enjoy them and can’t believe I didn’t think to review them until you mentioned it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version