Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Upcoming review schedule plus your suggestions

Offline metaldams

I'd like to see reviews of Harry Langdon's feature films. In my opinion they rank up there with the three geniuses.

Welcome to the board.  I’ll throw in a Langdon feature review by the end of the month.  I’m a big fan for sure.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Muttonhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!
Welcome to the board.  I’ll throw in a Langdon feature review by the end of the month.  I’m a big fan for sure.

After the next 2-4 shorts, I will likely tackle Langdon's Columbia shorts (18 available shorts in all).
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline metaldams

After the next 2-4 shorts, I will likely tackle Langdon's Columbia shorts (18 available shorts in all).

Excellent!  Unlike the Chase shorts, I’ve only seen a few of the Langdon Columbias.  I own copies of all the extant silent stuff, though.

I’m leaning on reviewing TRAMP, TRAMP, TRAMP in the next two or three weeks.  In addition to Langdon, a young Joan Crawford is the leading lady.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Paul Pain

• Muttonhead
Excellent!  Unlike the Chase shorts, I’ve only seen a few of the Langdon Columbias.  I own copies of all the extant silent stuff, though.

I’m leaning on reviewing TRAMP, TRAMP, TRAMP in the next two or three weeks.  In addition to Langdon, a young Joan Crawford is the leading lady.

I have seen two and got a chuckle out of them... hopefully we get one particular short around the right time of year...if not I will go out of order  >:D
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline HomokHarcos

I'm looking forward to that. I haven't yet seen Langdon's short films (only his features), but I plan on going through his silent shorts once I finish watching the Our Gang silents.
Is 18 the amount of shorts you have available, or are some of the Columbia films lost?

Offline metaldams

I'm looking forward to that. I haven't yet seen Langdon's short films (only his features), but I plan on going through his silent shorts once I finish watching the Our Gang silents.
Is 18 the amount of shorts you have available, or are some of the Columbia films lost?

The Our Gang silents I have only seen a small handful of.  Are you watching them on YouTube?  I have liked the few I have seen.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline HomokHarcos

The Our Gang silents I have only seen a small handful of.  Are you watching them on YouTube?  I have liked the few I have seen.
Yes, I am watching them on YouTube, a lot of of them are on there.

Offline Paul Pain

• Muttonhead

Both.  One short is lost, and three are believed to exist in selfish private collections,
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline GenoCuddy

I'd love to see on this forum, a little love given to Bobby Clark and Paul McCullough. Shameless plug, I've uploaded their entire surviving filmography on my YouTube channel [Geno's House of Rare Films] and I love Clark and McCullough, a hilarious team that met a very sad end. Their 1934 short for RKO, Odor in the Court, is hilarious and experts from Richard W. Bann to Leonard Maltin have rated among the best two-reel comedies ever made. Their comedy was quite surreal [see 1931's False Roomers] and many of the early RKO's star James Finlayson. There is even a masochistic bent to their short Jitters The Butler, where the title character, played by the great Robert Greig, delights in having his rumpus room kicked by Clark. Their 1929 short, Waltzing Around is a delightful 30 minute comedy and was hailed by film critic and podcaster Phil Hall as the find of the year when I shared the lone surviving print to my channel two years ago. They have gotten an undeserved bad reputation over the years, a particular scathing overview of their work was given by Ed Watz in his tome on Wheeler and Woolsey, but I think you'll find them to be a hilarious, high-speed comedy team, with no shortage of surrealism to carry the laughs along.

Offline metaldams

I'd love to see on this forum, a little love given to Bobby Clark and Paul McCullough. Shameless plug, I've uploaded their entire surviving filmography on my YouTube channel [Geno's House of Rare Films] and I love Clark and McCullough, a hilarious team that met a very sad end. Their 1934 short for RKO, Odor in the Court, is hilarious and experts from Richard W. Bann to Leonard Maltin have rated among the best two-reel comedies ever made. Their comedy was quite surreal [see 1931's False Roomers] and many of the early RKO's star James Finlayson. There is even a masochistic bent to their short Jitters The Butler, where the title character, played by the great Robert Greig, delights in having his rumpus room kicked by Clark. Their 1929 short, Waltzing Around is a delightful 30 minute comedy and was hailed by film critic and podcaster Phil Hall as the find of the year when I shared the lone surviving print to my channel two years ago. They have gotten an undeserved bad reputation over the years, a particular scathing overview of their work was given by Ed Watz in his tome on Wheeler and Woolsey, but I think you'll find them to be a hilarious, high-speed comedy team, with no shortage of surrealism to carry the laughs along.

First off, welcome to the board.  I enjoyed reading your Fox Laurel and Hardy reviews.  No need to plug your channel, at least with me - I’m already a subscriber. You have a great channel.

As far as Clark and McCullough, reviewing them is a great idea and I am going to do that.  ONE NIGHT IN THE TROPICS is my next review but after that I will review one of their shorts.  I do enjoy them and can’t believe I didn’t think to review them until you mentioned it.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

Oh, and concerning you uploading those rare Clark and McCullough shorts, here’s a thread on this board about it.  Thanks for doing it.

https://moronika.com/forums/index.php/topic,6577.msg55984.html#msg55984

I’m “metaldams78” on YouTube, I commented on those videos.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline HomokHarcos

Excellent, thanks for letting us know! I was wondering what to watch when I finished the Harry Langdon shorts, I guess Clark and McCullough is my answer.

Offline GenoCuddy

I'd like to suggest a look back at the brief cinematic careers of Chester Lauck and Norris Goff as Lum and Abner. They made seven films, four of which are public domain.
Dreaming Out Loud, The Bashful Bachelor, Two Weeks To Live, So This is Washington, Goin To Town, Partners in Time and Lum and Abner Abroad. Their humor was influential to other rural-themed productions like The Beverly Hillbillies and The Andy Griffith Show. Norris Goff actually had a pivotal role as a shopkeeper in the first color episode of TAGS.

The Bashful Bachelor was actually written by Lauck and Goff and is truer to their long running radio show of which the pair is most known. Lum and Abner Abroad is a stitching together of three failed television pilots in to one feature, the final project of Lum and Abner. Two Weeks To Live has character stars Kay Linaker [she who invented The Blob], Franklin Pangborn, Luis Alberni and Charles Gemora in an ape suit.

Offline metaldams

I'd like to suggest a look back at the brief cinematic careers of Chester Lauck and Norris Goff as Lum and Abner. They made seven films, four of which are public domain.
Dreaming Out Loud, The Bashful Bachelor, Two Weeks To Live, So This is Washington, Goin To Town, Partners in Time and Lum and Abner Abroad. Their humor was influential to other rural-themed productions like The Beverly Hillbillies and The Andy Griffith Show. Norris Goff actually had a pivotal role as a shopkeeper in the first color episode of TAGS.

The Bashful Bachelor was actually written by Lauck and Goff and is truer to their long running radio show of which the pair is most known. Lum and Abner Abroad is a stitching together of three failed television pilots in to one feature, the final project of Lum and Abner. Two Weeks To Live has character stars Kay Linaker [she who invented The Blob], Franklin Pangborn, Luis Alberni and Charles Gemora in an ape suit.

I know nothing of Lum and Abner, but I was just on YouTube and one of their videos popped up in my suggestions - from your channel.  I’ll check them out soon for sure.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Umbrella Sam

I’ve listened to a little bit of the Lum and Abner radio show. Honestly, I didn’t find it that funny, but who knows? Maybe the features are better.
“I’ll take a milkshake...with sour milk!” -Shemp (Punchy Cowpunchers, 1950)

My blog: https://talk-about-cinema.blogspot.com

Offline GenoCuddy

I know nothing of Lum and Abner, but I was just on YouTube and one of their videos popped up in my suggestions - from your channel.  I’ll check them out soon for sure.

Although I appreciate the viewership, I'd honestly start with The Bashful Bachelor, it is the truest in spirit to the original radio program of any of their films.

Lum and Abner Abroad was the last thing they ever did and its a sad film in many respects, starting out with that would be like discovering Laurel and Hardy through Atoll K.

Offline GenoCuddy

I’ve listened to a little bit of the Lum and Abner radio show. Honestly, I didn’t find it that funny, but who knows? Maybe the features are better.

I love Lum and Abner and they were a bigger success in features than Amon 'n' Andy. I have two Radio Spirits cassette sets and I listen frequently. I think they are hilarious, especially when Abner misconstrues on of Lum's sayings. Lauck and Goff certainly were talented as it was them two doing all of the voices.

Offline Umbrella Sam

I love Lum and Abner and they were a bigger success in features than Amon 'n' Andy. I have two Radio Spirits cassette sets and I listen frequently. I think they are hilarious, especially when Abner misconstrues on of Lum's sayings. Lauck and Goff certainly were talented as it was them two doing all of the voices.

To be fair, it’s been a long time since I listened to it, and if I recall correctly, the tape quality was pretty poor. I’ve listened to a lot of classic radio, and whatever episodes I listened to of LUM AND ABNER were some of the worst sounding programs I listened to as far as preservation went. Kind of hard to judge something when you can barely hear what they’re actually saying.

How is the quality on the Radio Spirits sets? From my understanding, they’re usually pretty reliable when it comes to those kind of details (I only have the “Drawing a Blanc” set for The Jack Benny Program).
“I’ll take a milkshake...with sour milk!” -Shemp (Punchy Cowpunchers, 1950)

My blog: https://talk-about-cinema.blogspot.com

Offline GenoCuddy

To be fair, it’s been a long time since I listened to it, and if I recall correctly, the tape quality was pretty poor. I’ve listened to a lot of classic radio, and whatever episodes I listened to of LUM AND ABNER were some of the worst sounding programs I listened to as far as preservation went. Kind of hard to judge something when you can barely hear what they’re actually saying.

How is the quality on the Radio Spirits sets? From my understanding, they’re usually pretty reliable when it comes to those kind of details (I only have the “Drawing a Blanc” set for The Jack Benny Program).

Judging the cassette collections, they sound immaculate, almost as if they were recorded yesterday! Here are what one of the covers look like.

Offline HomokHarcos

Once we're done Charley Chase (which should take us to next year) I'm hoping to get to the Wheeler and Woolsey movies if there is enough interest in that. I got them shipped to my uncle (it was cheaper where he lives) but I haven't been able to visit because of the pandemic. Hopefully by next year things have settled down and I can get them.

Offline metaldams

Once we're done Charley Chase (which should take us to next year) I'm hoping to get to the Wheeler and Woolsey movies if there is enough interest in that. I got them shipped to my uncle (it was cheaper where he lives) but I haven't been able to visit because of the pandemic. Hopefully by next year things have settled down and I can get them.

I’d be up for that.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline GenoCuddy

I recently uploaded the last starring film of Lloyd Hamilton (Ham and Bud) entitled Wedding Belles, feel free to add this one:

Offline metaldams

I recently uploaded the last starring film of Lloyd Hamilton (Ham and Bud) entitled Wedding Belles, feel free to add this one:

Wanna hear something crazy?  I’m expecting a cheap Alpha DVD of three talkie Lloyd Hamilton shorts in the mail today.  The one you posted is not one of them.  Thanks, I’ll check it out and review it soon.  Thinking of reviewing a bunch of films in a few weeks because I have the week off from work.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline HomokHarcos

Hey Geno, happy to see you back.

Lloyd Hamilton is a comedian I have not watched yet. I know he was doing a comedy series called Ham and Bud in the 2010s.

Offline metaldams

Lloyd Hamilton is frustrating because so much of his work is lost.  I’ve seen about ten of his shorts and most of them are pretty good - plus he’s an actual memorable and enjoyable screen presence.
- Doug Sarnecky