Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Harry Langdon At Hal Roach: The Talkies 1929 - 30 4/14/20

Offline metaldams

Falsealarms, that’s right, you’re a Mets fan, upstate New York makes sense.  I hope things are going well in your Iowa move.

I finished the first disc last night and indeed, it was THE HEAD GUY I was thinking of.  Harry gets dumped by his girl and there is this single close up shot that lasts approximately 3:45.  Harry is pantomiming and speaking every break up emotion imaginable before giving into hunger urges, all in a child like way.  It starts uncomfortable but by the end, I was laughing hysterically.  My words don’t do this scene justice, but it’s incredible to watch.  Going to start the second disc in a few minutes.

I live in Newark, DE. next to Wilmington, the city Buster Keaton made his stage debut with his parents in 1900.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline falsealarms

Were you near Elmira, Hal Roach’s hometown and the setting of the train station in The Head Guy?

I was not. I was near Albany, the state capital.

Offline falsealarms

I've always been a fan of Leonard Maltin's work. But he was way off the mark earlier this month when he called these "among the worst two-reelers ever made."

Overall, I thought these were a lot of fun and undeserving of their obscure status. THE BIG KICK stood out from the pack for me, an excellent short. THE HEAD GUY, THE FIGHTING PARSON and THE SHRIMP were also very good. THE KING and SKIRT SHY were decent to slightly above decent, each having their moments but not quite as good as the other four already mentioned.

I'd put HOTTER THAN HOT in that pack as well though it's tougher to assess that film as long as the soundtrack is missing. The couch scene was the highlight. I'd love to re-assess it should the soundtrack ever surface. SKY BOY, the other one missing its soundtrack, was the only one I didn't connect with at all.

I don't think I had seen her in anything before but I liked Nancy Dover and thought she played well with Langdon. Later known as Judith Barrett, she lived all the way to 2000.

Tom Ricketts, the old man in SHIRT SKY, had a memorable turn there. Born in 1853, he might be the earliest born person I've ever seen in a film. When he died in 1939, he was considered a pioneer in the film industry. If online sources are to be believed, he directed the first film released by Universal (1915) one of the, if not the, first motion picture made in Hollywood (1911).

THE HEAD GUY has a nice atmospheric feel to the film with the rain coming down in buckets outside the train station. Eddie Dunn gave a good performance as the dance troupe boss.

The boxing scenes in THE FIGHTING PARSON were clever with the boxing gloves on poles pushed up into Harry's arms. I'm not sure if i've seen that used elsewhere. Someone on Facebook cracked that it amounted to socially distanced boxing.

On the commentary for HOTTER THAN HOT, it's noted that Edith Kramer, aka Jill Dennett, appeared in Men in Black with the Three Stooges. I'm skeptical of that. We don't have her in that film on this site but IMDB has her in Men in White, the 1934 feature. Wires might have been crossed on that one.

Speaking of Jill Dennett, one person posted at NitrateVille last summer and wondered whatever happened to her, if she really died in England in 1941 as IMDB and Wikipedia report. I stumbled onto the post this weekend. My best guess is that she did not die there in 1941- instead, living until a 1969 death in Los Angeles. More here: https://www.nitrateville.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=28570

Offline GreenCanaries

• President of the Johnny Kascier Fan Club
  • Birdbrain
On the commentary for HOTTER THAN HOT, it's noted that Edith Kramer, aka Jill Dennett, appeared in Men in Black with the Three Stooges. I'm skeptical of that. We don't have her in that film on this site but IMDB has her in Men in White, the 1934 feature. Wires might have been crossed on that one.

Speaking of Jill Dennett, one person posted at NitrateVille last summer and wondered whatever happened to her, if she really died in England in 1941 as IMDB and Wikipedia report. I stumbled onto the post this weekend. My best guess is that she did not die there in 1941- instead, living until a 1969 death in Los Angeles. More here: https://www.nitrateville.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=28570

I remember when I researched Edith/Jill a long time ago, that was what I concluded as well: 1969 in Los Angeles County. She actually is in another 1934 Columbia short: RADIO DOUGH with George Sidney and Charlie Murray.
"With oranges, it's much harder..."

Offline metaldams

I've always been a fan of Leonard Maltin's work. But he was way off the mark earlier this month when he called these "among the worst two-reelers ever made."

Overall, I thought these were a lot of fun and undeserving of their obscure status. THE BIG KICK stood out from the pack for me, an excellent short. THE HEAD GUY, THE FIGHTING PARSON and THE SHRIMP were also very good. THE KING and SKIRT SHY were decent to slightly above decent, each having their moments but not quite as good as the other four already mentioned.

I'd put HOTTER THAN HOT in that pack as well though it's tougher to assess that film as long as the soundtrack is missing. The couch scene was the highlight. I'd love to re-assess it should the soundtrack ever surface. SKY BOY, the other one missing its soundtrack, was the only one I didn't connect with at all.

I don't think I had seen her in anything before but I liked Nancy Dover and thought she played well with Langdon. Later known as Judith Barrett, she lived all the way to 2000.

Tom Ricketts, the old man in SHIRT SKY, had a memorable turn there. Born in 1853, he might be the earliest born person I've ever seen in a film. When he died in 1939, he was considered a pioneer in the film industry. If online sources are to be believed, he directed the first film released by Universal (1915) one of the, if not the, first motion picture made in Hollywood (1911).

THE HEAD GUY has a nice atmospheric feel to the film with the rain coming down in buckets outside the train station. Eddie Dunn gave a good performance as the dance troupe boss.

The boxing scenes in THE FIGHTING PARSON were clever with the boxing gloves on poles pushed up into Harry's arms. I'm not sure if i've seen that used elsewhere. Someone on Facebook cracked that it amounted to socially distanced boxing.

It is mentioned in the commentary that Jill Dennett was in MEN IN BLACK.  I figured you’d be on that.  I too checked for her in the threestooges.net database to no avail.  It is very possible MEN IN WHITE got confused for MEN IN BLACK.

I too enjoyed all the shorts but knew going in they were good.  HOTTER THAN HOT is excellent, make boom boom!  SKY BOY doesn’t play as well as the former without sound but is still good.  Do love Harry and the fishing gag.  SKIRT SHY is the most bizarre film on the set but still fun.  Yes, fascinating in the commentary hearing about Tom Ricketts and how far back he goes!  THE HEAD GUY has one of the all time great Langdon moments which I already mentioned.  THE FIGHTING PARSON has that wonderfully surreal boxing match.  THE BIG KICK has that great silent gag when the car engine is on and is fantastic for how out of touch Harry is with the rest of the action.  Good Langdon there.  THE SHRIMP is just all around fantastic - eat your berries! THE KING is fun and has both Dorothy Granger and Geneva Mitchell.  I’ll review some of these films in greater detail one of these days for sure.

As far as Nancy Dover, I like her too.  She looks like my friend.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline falsealarms

After watching these, I couldn't help but wish the series had continued on. But what we have, for the most part, is pretty solid.

My interest was piqued enough to order this book - has anyone read it? https://mcfarlandbooks.com/product/harry-langdon/

Offline metaldams

After watching these, I couldn't help but wish the series had continued on. But what we have, for the most part, is pretty solid.

My interest was piqued enough to order this book - has anyone read it? https://mcfarlandbooks.com/product/harry-langdon/

For all the Langdon books, I’m basically waiting for the price to come down.  If you do read it, please let us know how it is.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline falsealarms

For all the Langdon books, I’m basically waiting for the price to come down.  If you do read it, please let us know how it is.

Are there that many Langdon books? I know of at least three - Neibaur's on his 1923-1928 period, Little Elf by Chuck Harter and Michael Hayde and the one I linked.

If you're into e-books, a Kindle copy of Little Elf can be had for $9.99 on Amazon. I wanted a physical book, though, and Little Elf in paperback is $60 at the moment. The one I linked was $35, a bit easier to digest. I've never been disappointed with something McFarland published.

The Neibaur book was done through Scarecrow Press, and they always seem high. His Chase book was done through there as well and its price point ($89 currently) is the only thing that has scared me off over the years.

Offline metaldams

Are there that many Langdon books? I know of at least three - Neibaur's on his 1923-1928 period, Little Elf by Chuck Harter and Michael Hayde and the one I linked.

If you're into e-books, a Kindle copy of Little Elf can be had for $9.99 on Amazon. I wanted a physical book, though, and Little Elf in paperback is $60 at the moment. The one I linked was $35, a bit easier to digest. I've never been disappointed with something McFarland published.

The Neibaur book was done through Scarecrow Press, and they always seem high. His Chase book was done through there as well and its price point ($89 currently) is the only thing that has scared me off over the years.

Neibaur’s books tend to be more critical about films which is cool, but not biographical.  I have his W.C. Fields and talking era Keaton books.

As far as biographical Langdon, maybe I should look into kindle apps because the physical books are more than I’m willing to spend on almost any book.  Same with the Charley Chase bio.  I’d love to read about both and I’m sure someday I will.

- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

A picture posted at the silent comedy mafia board worth sharing.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline falsealarms

A picture posted at the silent comedy mafia board worth sharing.

Pre-code dialogue at its best. It's too bad that board doesn't allow new people to sign up.

Offline metaldams

Here's an interesting page and a half about Langdon and Roach from the William Schelly bio of the former.

[img width= height= alt=Screen-Shot-2020-04-26-at-12-41-51-AM" border="0]https://i.ibb.co/NmH7SYw/Screen-Shot-2020-04-26-at-12-41-51-AM.png[/img]

Screen-Shot-2020-04-26-at-12-49-18-AM" border="0

The theater owners had pretty positive things to say about the reception of the Langdon films and according the commentaries on this DVD set, Langdon had a five year option on his contract with Roach.  Roach wanted to exercise the second season but Langdon opted out to make a feature at Warner Brothers.  Langdon also went back to Roach years later in ZENOBIA and as a writer on the later Roach Laurel and Hardy features.  So Roach had to see some value in the guy.

As far as slapstick plots that wouldn’t let Langdon be, he has a three minute forty five second single shot monologue, the most extreme I’ve ever seen his slow style go.  I do agree it is ironic Langdon developed his style at Sennett, of all places, but the reputation of Langdon and certain eras of his work is one of the most confounding and contradictory of any comedian I can think of.  Perhaps this influenced Roach’s own recollections of Langdon, as Roach lived MUCH longer, as did Frank Capra.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline falsealarms

The theater owners had pretty positive things to say about the reception of the Langdon films and according the commentaries on this DVD set, Langdon had a five year option on his contract with Roach.  Roach wanted to exercise the second season but Langdon opted out to make a feature at Warner Brothers.  Langdon also went back to Roach years later in ZENOBIA and as a writer on the later Roach Laurel and Hardy features.  So Roach had to see some value in the guy.

As far as slapstick plots that wouldn’t let Langdon be, he has a three minute forty five second single shot monologue, the most extreme I’ve ever seen his slow style go.  I do agree it is ironic Langdon developed his style at Sennett, of all places, but the reputation of Langdon and certain eras of his work is one of the most confounding and contradictory of any comedian I can think of.  Perhaps this influenced Roach’s own recollections of Langdon, as Roach lived MUCH longer, as did Frank Capra.

I've become fascinated with Langdon lately between the DVDs, the supposed drama with Roach and now living about 10 miles from one of his earliest known residences.

The comment that the shorts "didn't" satisfy audiences at the time is a head scratcher. Reviews of the period largely indicate otherwise. Richard Lewis Ward wrote a book on the history of the Hal Roach Studios, another book I plan on reading at some point.

There's a heartbreaking quote in the Schelly bio of Langdon. Frank Capra supposedly took a peek at the filming of the 1938 short SUE MY LAWYER and Jules White was demanding Langdon to pick up the pace.

"I could have cried," Capra said. "That great, great artist - whose art was the very essence of slow, slow pantomime - was being hollered at to 'go faster.'"

Offline falsealarms

Offline metaldams

I've become fascinated with Langdon lately between the DVDs, the supposed drama with Roach and now living about 10 miles from one of his earliest known residences.

The comment that the shorts "didn't" satisfy audiences at the time is a head scratcher. Reviews of the period largely indicate otherwise. Richard Lewis Ward wrote a book on the history of the Hal Roach Studios, another book I plan on reading at some point.

There's a heartbreaking quote in the Schelly bio of Langdon. Frank Capra supposedly took a peek at the filming of the 1938 short SUE MY LAWYER and Jules White was demanding Langdon to pick up the pace.

"I could have cried," Capra said. "That great, great artist - whose art was the very essence of slow, slow pantomime - was being hollered at to 'go faster.'"

I’m really glad you’re getting interested in Langdon and enjoying that book.  The first time I ever heard of him was the Columbia Comedy Shorts book - had to have been between 15 - 20 years ago.  I bought The Forgotten Clown DVD with his first three independent features and have been a fan since.

That Capra story, I believe Langdon was doing his carrying the woman up the stairs routine from THE STRONG MAN, if I’m not mistaken.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline HomokHarcos

I bought this set and the two Charley Chase ones with the money I received for Christmas. I just finished watching the Mack Sennett Langdon shorts and am now making my way through this. Once I finish this I'll move onto to the Educational Langdon period. I'm debating what to do next after watching Harry Langdon. I wanted to watch through Charley Chase's filmography as I haven't watched him yet, but I also want to wait for the final Charley Chase Roach set so I can watch in one go. I hope they'll announce that soon.