Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Ted Healy and His Stooges... Imagine the Possibilities

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Muttonhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!
I think we all agree that the Three Stooges were better off leaving Ted Healy.  We also agree that Shemp did well by jumping ship even earlier.  Let's have a fun discussion, though I am sure this discussion has been had here before years before.

Ted Healy was a bully, a drunk, and a womanizer.  In 1937, he died (how exactly varies depending on the source) after a night partying while celebrating the birth of his first son, Ted Jr., two days prior.  So ended the career of a genuinely talented actor.  It's interesting to note that Ted was actually younger than Shemp!

Let's suppose Ted Healy doesn't die in December 1937.  We stretch plausibility even further and say he settles down and becomes a sensible business man, gives up the womanizing, and focuses on being a top actor.  Alas, poor Ted's reputation sees him ditched by most companies, and in spring of 1939 he receives a phone call from his dear friend Moe Howard.  Moe tells Ted that it's possible for him to get a job in the Columbia Pictures shorts department under Jules White.  Ted, knowing that this is probably his last chance, takes Moe's advice, calls Jules White, and gets hired to become one of Columbia's comic actors beginning in June 1939.  Over the course of the next 10-15 years, he becomes one of Columbia's regular actors.

Here's the two part question for you:
(1) Does he get his own short series or is he one of their comic foils?
(2) If he becomes a comic foil, in which Three Stooges shorts do you think he could have appeared and done well?  Imagine Ted in the short instead of Bud Jamison, Vernon Dent, or Dick Curtis.
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline GreenCanaries

• President of the Johnny Kascier Fan Club
  • Birdbrain
I don't feel Ted would have become a supporting actor in a Columbia short, a la Bud or Vernon; whether other film companies wanted him or not, I feel he was still too "popular" in the grand scheme of things. I do feel, should such events have transpired, that at the very least, Ted would get his own starring short or two, a la Roscoe Karns or Alan Mowbray (both of whom I feel were maybe at about Ted's level of Hollywood supporting actor). If Ted's reputation were a problem, perhaps Jules would have looked at Ted's case as a Harry Langdon/Buster Keaton "grab 'em while they're down" situation. Whether Jules would have ultimately liked Ted or kept him around is open to conjecture.

Some further questions I would like to posit:

-- Should Ted have "shaped up" and been given the "starring" treatment, do you think he would have stuck around long enough to go from a Karns/Mowbray to a Brendel/Herbert? Or perhaps a more sporadic Catlett?

-- If this were 1939 or even into the early 1940s, what do you think are the chances Ted would be paired with Monty Collins or Elsie Ames? (Or, on a more positive note, Ted Healy and Dudley Dickerson!)
"With oranges, it's much harder..."

Offline Umbrella Sam

I have to agree with GreenCanaries here. Healy's former popularity makes me think that Columbia would want to put him in the lead roles for any box office potential. Regarding GreenCanaries's questions, I could see Ted as developing into sort of a Walter Catlett-type comedian. Considering that most of the films I've seen him in feature him with someone to work off of (even non-Stooge films), I could probably also see Columbia pairing him up with one of their supporting players.
“I’ll take a milkshake...with sour milk!” -Shemp (Punchy Cowpunchers, 1950)

My blog: https://talk-about-cinema.blogspot.com

Offline GreenCanaries

• Birdbrain
. . . I could see Ted as developing into sort of a Walter Catlett-type comedian.

To clarify, I meant my first question in terms of Columbia shorts department longevity. I used Brendel and Herbert as examples based upon their tenure with the department and how fairly ingrained they became -- versus Catlett based on how erraticly sporadic his tenure was (two 1934 shorts, one 1936, two for 1939-40 season, then one last one in fall 1940), or even how Harry Langdon was for a while (after the 1934-35 season: two stray 1938 shorts [one in '37-38 season, next towards beginning of '38-39 season], then one in fall 1940) before he began starring in Columbia shorts with regularity again around 1942.

My question was basically regarding how ingrained would Ted have been within the department's release schedule -- a regular star for a period of time, or more sporadically dropping in every couple or few years?

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Muttonhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!
Talk about missing the forest for the trees... we know this never, ever would have happened under any realistic circumstances.  It's just a fun "what if" scenario.  As we see, Buster Keaton did get relegated to starring in Columbia shorts, albeit over much more time.  We're just here to have fun sticking Ted in Stooges shorts.
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline metaldams

Or how about Ted working with replacement Stooges?  If at Columbia, I imagine they’d be called something else, but working with Mousie Garner types is a possibility.

Truthfully, I think Ted would have had a long career as a supporting actor...and that’s not a bad thing.  He wasn’t a star at MGM, but he was busy and appearing at a prestigious studio.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline GreenCanaries

• Birdbrain
Talk about missing the forest for the trees... we know this never, ever would have happened under any realistic circumstances.  It's just a fun "what if" scenario.  As we see, Buster Keaton did get relegated to starring in Columbia shorts, albeit over much more time.  We're just here to have fun sticking Ted in Stooges shorts.

I'm aware of that, PP. I was just responding to part 1 of your question (albeit from a perhaps too realistic and over-logistical standpoint), and in the process trying to take the "what if" a hair further (and apparently missing the mark by going overboard).

I could probably picture Ted playing certain roles in his former charges' Columbia shorts, though others who are less tired than I am right now (had a rough week working my way towards getting my Bachelor's in December) could probably think of some better recasting ideas than I could at this moment. For some reason, I'm seeing him in Vernon's part in THREE LITTLE SEW AND SEWS.

Offline Moose Malloy

I can't even believe he got the roles I've seen him in. Nothing remotely special about the guy  :-\

Offline Toast5884

I think it could potentially work for a while. If we're going by him working for Columbia in 1939, I could see him behaving like a good boy throughout the years of the war. But I think around 1947 is when you start having issues. I feel ANY amount of fame would've gone to Ted's head. 

Also, there are two particular questions you have to ask:

Would Ted have allowed himself to be pushed around by Harry Cohn?

Would Shemp have been as willing to come back or even be on the same lot as Healy given his reasons for leaving?