Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

More Charley Chase out this summer!

Offline NoahYoung

The Robert Youngson compilations, at the risk of spewing blasphemy, I have never had much interest in beyond historical appreciation.  I’m living in the age where I’m spoiled and this stuff is more readily available and became a fan when that was starting to happen.  The initial point was to expose these films to people who have a hard time seeing them.  Doesn’t apply to me.  But 4 CLOWNS is the exception.  It is where I saw footage of LIMOUSINE LOVE and am thankful for it to this day.

I haven't watched a full Youngson compilation in years. I bought THE GOLDEN AGE OF COMEDY and WHEN COMEDY WAS KING on VHS over 30 years ago, when it was impossible to see most of the films it excerpted. I had seen these compilations before on TV, though. I bought THE FURTHER PERILS OF L&H on DVD when it came out maybe about 20 years ago.

I enjoy the music and narration on his compilations. Now this is blasphemy: I sometimes prefer the way Youngson edited a film over the original! One of the things he was good at was what people called "potted" versions, like LIMOUSINE LOVE. His "potted" version of WE FAW DOWN is much, much better than the complete short. It is in L&H's LAUGHING 20s. I was very disappointed when I finally saw the complete short, which I think is one of L&H's weakest silent films not including some of those Pathes where they weren't really a team yet.

Youngson mixed short clips in with these longer versions, and I always thought he struck the perfect balance.

So I, too, rarely watch Youngon compilations anymore, but still have a high appreciation for them. I do have a few from archive.org that I haven't gotten around to watching yet (though I probably saw them on TV back in the 70s.) One is DAYS OF THRILLS AND LAUGHTER. There still can be hidden gold in them -- a short you might not have taken the time to seek out before.

And yes, LIMOUSINE LOVE is legendary because of Youngson's 4 CLOWNS -- which makes it all the more puzzling that it has yet to be released in any video format, not even VHS, in the U.S. The first time I saw it complete was with an audience of perhaps 50 people, at a 16mm screening. It brought down the house! I was tempted to buy a copy from Film Preservation Associates  (David Shepard) in 16mm, but it was over $200 I think, and I was told by the person who projected it at that screening that it was more complete than FPA's.

Here's yet another incomplete version:
Burt Lancaster was too short!
- The Birdman of Alcatraz

Offline NoahYoung

LUNCHEON AT TWELVE was partially remade as TASSELS IN THE AIR, directed by Chase himself! The ashes guy was Jack Barty, the mad butler in OLIVER THE EIGHTH! (Oops, I see now that the Stooge connection was already mentioned above.)

https://archive.org/details/luncheon-at-twelve-1933

The whole shebang: https://archive.org/details/30-now-we-ll-tell-one-november-19-1932

The whole shebang is gone, but most of the shebang can still be found here: https://archive.org/details/@a_comedy_classics750
Burt Lancaster was too short!
- The Birdman of Alcatraz