Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Music videos you like - post here.

metaldams · 1554 · 144132

Offline Dr. Mabuse

Honoring George Harrison at the 2004 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony.

Offline GreenCanaries

• President of the Johnny Kascier Fan Club
  • Birdbrain

Offline falsealarms

If this doesn't say I have varied musical tastes, I'm not sure what would. Two songs I've been listening a lot to this week, released over 90 years apart.

ASTRID S and BRETT YOUNG - I DO (ACOUSTIC)

WISHING - VIC MEYERS

Offline metaldams

I love Blue Oyster Cult and I feel their most famous song is one of the rare cases where the song truly is one of their better ones.  That Buck Dharma guitar solo - good God!
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

Not my favorite group, but a terrific video.

I have to be in the mood, but I do listen to The Clash at times and like them when that mood hits.  I once found their 3 CD box set, THE CLASH ON BROADWAY in a used record/CD store for $15, a good deal.

I’m not much a punk guy, but my two punk bands are The Ramones and Danzig era Misfits.  Yes, I have an unusual choice for favorite Ramones song.

A progressive epic length song about Eastern spirituality.  Brilliance.

- Doug Sarnecky

Offline GreenCanaries

• Birdbrain

Offline falsealarms

Great new song from Tim McGraw called 'I called Mama'

I love the lyrics with this one

I got a call from a friend about a friend
It's the news no one ever wants to hear
It hit me like a punch
It took my breath
He was just getting into his best years

Yeah, something like that'll shake you up
Wake you up

So I stopped off at a Texaco
Bought a Slim Jim and a Coke
Parked out by the water just to watch that river flow

Grabbed my guitar from the back seat
Wrote a song just for me
And I sung it for the blue sky
And a couple live oak trees
I thought of home, grabbed my phone from my pocket
And I called mama

It rang a couple times and she picked up
I can always hear her smile when I call
I just called to tell you that I loved you
I was missin' you, and dad, and home, that's all

I got to really thinkin' this mornin'
About what's important

So I stopped off at a Texaco
Bought a Slim Jim and a Coke
Parked out by the water just to watch that river flow

Grabbed my guitar from the back seat
Wrote a song just for me
And I sung it for the blue sky
I thought of home, grabbed my phone from my pocket
And I called mama

And from now on
I ain't gonna wait so long

To stop off at a Texaco
Buy a Slim Jim and a Coke
Park out by the water just to watch that river flow

Grab my guitar from the back seat
Write a song just for me
Sing it for the blue sky
And think of home, grab my phone from my pocket
Instead of saying tomorrow I'm gonna
And I call mama
And I call mama

Offline metaldams

R.I.P. Little Richard, the man who invented the high octane rock vocal.  I hope he’s jamming with Lemmy.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline falsealarms

Six feet apart by Luke Combs

This is very much a song for this coronavirus age.

Some really great lines:

I miss my mom, I miss my dad
I miss the road, I miss my band
Givin' hugs and shakin' hands
It's a mystery, I suppose
Just how long this thing goes
But there'll be crowds and there'll be shows
And there will be light after dark
Someday when we aren't six feet apart
First thing that I'm gonna do
Is slide on in some corner booth
And take the whole damn family out
And buy my buddies all a round
Pay some extra on the tab
Catch a movie, catch a cab
Watch a ballgame from the stands
Probably over-wash my hands

Offline GreenCanaries

• Birdbrain

Offline metaldams

Am I the only modern country fan here?

The only country I like, and even then it’s a very casual interest, is Johnny Cash.  I like it’s influence on early rock (Elvis at Sun, Carl Perkins, Buddy Holly, etc.) folk, (Bob Dylan) and some Southern Rock stuff like Lynyrd Skynyrd.  Modern stuff, not so much, but hey, to each their own.

My favorite genres are classic metal/hard rock, progressive rock, 50’s and 60’s rock and standard classic rock, in that order.  I’ll blast James Brown and Motown once in a while too.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

Speaking of classic metal AND SILENT COMEDY (!), here is Iron Maiden’s “Run to the Hills” video.  It uses extensive footage from the 1923 Hal Roach short, THE UNCOVERED WAGON, starring James Parrott - Charley Chase’s brother.

- Doug Sarnecky

Offline falsealarms

The only country I like, and even then it’s a very casual interest, is Johnny Cash.  I like it’s influence on early rock (Elvis at Sun, Carl Perkins, Buddy Holly, etc.) folk, (Bob Dylan) and some Southern Rock stuff like Lynyrd Skynyrd.  Modern stuff, not so much, but hey, to each their own.

My favorite genres are classic metal/hard rock, progressive rock, 50’s and 60’s rock and standard classic rock, in that order.  I’ll blast James Brown and Motown once in a while too.

It's weird how tastes can change. I wanted nothing to do with country until about 10 years ago and now listen to it extensively, along with the alternative stuff I grew up with in the 90s/early 2000s and all kinds of stuff from mostly the 60s onward.

I tend to get lost in the lyrics of a lot of modern country songs, if that makes any sense.

Offline GreenCanaries

• Birdbrain
I've never really been a huge fan of modern country music -- or, on a similar note, current pop music in general (though it's practically all of what some of my family listens to on the radio). However, I feel I'm generally softer on the country/pop from, say, 10-20 years ago now than I was at the time it was on all the radio stations and TV countdowns (though there's still a solid amount I never could and probably never will get into, but then again I suppose that's the story with any genre of music, including my preferred classic rock and alternative rock).

That Kenny Chesney track you posted, like a lot of then-new country I heard as I grew up (I'll be 26 this November), is something I never really paid much attention to back then, but I now hear and remember with a great deal of fondness, partly fueled by nostalgia as well as recognition of it being a good, uplifting song.

Here's a modern country track from several years back that I like -- a good "night time" track, IMO:

"With oranges, it's much harder..."

Offline falsealarms

I've never really been a huge fan of modern country music -- or, on a similar note, current pop music in general (though it's practically all of what some of my family listens to on the radio). However, I feel I'm generally softer on the country/pop from, say, 10-20 years ago now than I was at the time it was on all the radio stations and TV countdowns (though there's still a solid amount I never could and probably never will get into, but then again I suppose that's the story with any genre of music, including my preferred classic rock and alternative rock).

That Kenny Chesney track you posted, like a lot of then-new country I heard as I grew up (I'll be 26 this November), is something I never really paid much attention to back then, but I now hear and remember with a great deal of fondness, partly fueled by nostalgia as well as recognition of it being a good, uplifting song.

Here's a modern country track from several years back that I like -- a good "night time" track, IMO:

Completely agree - that is a great song, as are so many others from Zac Brown Band.

Offline metaldams

I was a kid in the 80’s and teen in the 90’s.  As a kid living in Connecticut in the 80’s who watched MTV, country was not even on my radar.  In the 90’s, Garth Brooks, Billy Ray Cyrus (Miley’s Dad) and Shania Twain were popular.  It just never registered with me.  Since the early 2000’s especially, I barely know what is going on in current pop culture outside of small pockets of the metal community.  With very few exceptions, I also never listen to music for lyrics.  If it touches me lyrically, great, but if not and I like the music, it’s all good. 

But yeah, GreenCanaries, I hear you about nostalgia and I can understand why some of the country songs from your youth you like more now than when you were younger.  There are songs I hated in the 90’s I’m way more tolerant of now and it is nostalgia driven.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline falsealarms

I was a kid in the 80’s and teen in the 90’s.  As a kid living in Connecticut in the 80’s who watched MTV, country was not even on my radar.  In the 90’s, Garth Brooks, Billy Ray Cyrus (Miley’s Dad) and Shania Twain were popular.  It just never registered with me.  Since the early 2000’s especially, I barely know what is going on in current pop culture outside of small pockets of the metal community.  With very few exceptions, I also never listen to music for lyrics.  If it touches me lyrically, great, but if not and I like the music, it’s all good. 

Back in the 90s, I dismissed country as largely hillbilly/redneck music. Today's country sounds a lot different than it did back then.

Some of the lines in that Kenny Chesney song, for instance, just seem so... I don't know, American? It paints very imagery at least to me.

I go back to a two-toned short bed Chevy
Drivin' my first love out to the levy
Livin' life with no sense of time
And I go back to the feel of a fifty yard line
A blanket, a girl, some raspberry wine
Wishin' time would stop right in its tracks

And while I'm not an overly religious/spiritual person, I love this line:

And the smell of Sunday chicken after church