Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

2019 MLB Thread

Offline metaldams

Might as well start it now with off-season moves.  As a Red Sox fan, I can never think of an offseason where Boston needed to do so little.  They already re-signed Nunez and Pearce, at this point all they need to do is sign or resign a reliever or two and a starter.

Yanks got Paxton from Seattle, a needed starting pitching piece, they should be good next year.  Machado and Harper will get paid, but am I the only one who thinks the latter is a tad overrated?  He's good, but he's had one elite season in 2015 to justify this contract he'll get.

Baseball stuff for the next year gets typed here.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Moose Malloy

`The big conversation this off season is Machado and Bryce Harper. If I was an owner I don't think I'd bite on either. Just look at all the huge, failed contracts in recent years. A-Rod, Pujols and, well, the list is too long! Of course if I HAD to pick between the two I'd take Harper. Not that he's better; Machado is an asshole.

I don't know who the big name arms are but you know you can't get enough pitching. Tell me Metaldams: Are you a bandwagoner or a lifelong fan of the Sox?

Offline metaldams

`The big conversation this off season is Machado and Bryce Harper. If I was an owner I don't think I'd bite on either. Just look at all the huge, failed contracts in recent years. A-Rod, Pujols and, well, the list is too long! Of course if I HAD to pick between the two I'd take Harper. Not that he's better; Machado is an asshole.

I don't know who the big name arms are but you know you can't get enough pitching. Tell me Metaldams: Are you a bandwagoner or a lifelong fan of the Sox?

Bandwagoner.  Was a a Yankee fan in the 90's.  [pie]

Kidding of course.  I grew up in Connecticut and have been a Red Sox fan since 1987.  Wade Boggs was my favorite player as a kid.  My grandfather, who never lived to see a championship, was a Jimmie Foxx fan growing up.  I remember the cursed years.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

Also want to add, while I agree 10 year contracts are risky and rarely worth it, at least Machado and Harper are much younger than Pujols and A-Rod were when they got theirs.  Still, it's crazy, even with what Stanton has there is a huge question whether he'll be worth it.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Moose Malloy

Also want to add, while I agree 10 year contracts are risky and rarely worth it, at least Machado and Harper are much younger than Pujols and A-Rod were when they got theirs.  Still, it's crazy, even with what Stanton has there is a huge question whether he'll be worth it.
I swear I laughed out loud when I heard that the Yanks signed Stanton. All that $ to a .250 hitter because he can pop 40 and K 180 times.

Offline Moose Malloy

Bandwagoner.  Was a a Yankee fan in the 90's.  [pie]

Kidding of course.  I grew up in Connecticut and have been a Red Sox fan since 1987.  Wade Boggs was my favorite player as a kid.  My grandfather, who never lived to see a championship, was a Jimmie Foxx fan growing up.  I remember the cursed years.
Interesting. I was a dyed in the wool fan since childhood until the Sosa/Bonds/McGwire steroid revelation. I was disgusted, still am. For years I only watched the NLCS, ALCS and WS. Even those games were hard to watch because of the dead time which I don't recall noticing previously. Then I got the DVR. That really helped.

I actually have a Red Sox connection: My first wife was from Boston and her Dad was a big fan. The first autobiography I ever read was Ted Williams'. He's my first baseball hero, and may be my last. My favorite baseball movie WAS "Field of dreams" until I saw "Fever Pitch". My other Sox connection is a lifelong hatred for the Yankees. Not the players; the organization. Who could hate Pepitone, Yogi, the Mick or Ruth?

On Old Double X: I heard that Foxx was the template for the Tom Hanks role in "A League of their own". What's the fact?

Offline Shemp_Diesel

Playoffs; one hell of a game between the Cards and Braves right now....   :police:
Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Muttonhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!
It has been a wild series between St. Louis and Atlanta, hasn't it?
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline Shemp_Diesel

Wild or the braves should have swept them; too many runners left on base & Yadier is as clutch as it gets....

Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Offline Shemp_Diesel

Series going good; as a Mets fan I say let's go Astros!!!

Offline metaldams

Series going good; as a Mets fan I say let's go Astros!!!

The series is close, but the games have sucked since the 7th inning of game 2.  Rarely does the tying run get to the plate.  I think Houston’s got this.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Freddie Sanborn

Oh Yeah?

(Nats fan)
“If it’s not comedy, I fall asleep.” Harpo Marx

Offline metaldams

Oh Yeah?

(Nats fan)

Well, if you’re a fan of a team it’s different.  I’m a Red Sox fan, I considered the 16 - 2 drubbing of The Yankees in 2018 a great game.  To outsiders, it’s gotta be boring.

Have fun tonight, should be exciting.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

Freddie Sanborn, I know winter will feel oh so warm.  Congrats.

Good for the whole team.  I’m especially happy for lifelong Nat Zimmerman, Scherzer, a pitcher career wise more than good enough to deserve a championship, and Fernando Rodney, who I believe will be the last player in MLB history to be older than me.  If he retires, that means next year will probably be the first season I’m a fan where nobody is older than me.  Yikes! 

Too bad only game one ended close, but the series itself was close and road game freakish.  Only time in sports history the road team won all seven games in a seven game series.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Shemp_Diesel

Worse than the 2014 Series; I need a straight slug with Bustoff...

[pie]