Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Stooges in serious roles

I've noticed a few cases in this site's Stooges filmography where a solo appearance by a Stooge is described as a "serious" or "dramatic" role. The best example is probably Joe DeRita's role in THE BRAVADOS.

What cases have any of you seen where a Stooge plays a serious role, or at least does some serious acting in an otherwise comedic part? And how well did the Stooge do at it?
"Give me a smart idiot over a stupid genius any day." -- Samuel Goldwyn

The people who have your best interests at heart...
...are generally not the ones telling you whatever you want to hear.

Offline Umbrella Sam

I seem to recall Moe's role in ROCKIN' IN THE ROCKIES as being more serious than usual. For what he was given, he seemed to do alright, though the lack of team dynamic between him and the other Stooges was really distracting there and probably would've been better had they either worked together or had Moe been in it alone.

Also, I recall Shemp playing a blackmailer and murderer in CONVENTION GIRL. I only saw a few clips of it, but he seemed to do pretty well in his role.
“I’ll take a milkshake...with sour milk!” -Shemp (Punchy Cowpunchers, 1950)

My blog: https://talk-about-cinema.blogspot.com

Offline metaldams

I wouldn't call it dramatic, but in INVISIBLE WOMAN, Shemp plays a henchman to the bad guy. A goofy, comic, dim witted henchman, but a henchman nonetheless.

Yeah, gotta agree with Sam about CONVENTION GIRL.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline falsealarms

Shemp's great but CONVENTION GIRL is not. Dreadfully dull, it's the perfect solution for anyone who can't sleep.

Offline Shemp_Diesel

Didn't Moe have a small bit in an Ed Bernds film? I vaguely recall it, but yeah; that may count...
Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Muttonhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!
Moe also has a serious role in DOCTOR DEATH: SEEKER OF SOULS

Curly basically is the straight man for the ever-annoying George Givot in ROAST BEEF AND MOVIES.
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline falsealarms