Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Rehashed Topic - Rockin' In The Rockies Gripe

Offline Giff me dat fill-em!

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Team Stooge
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
I was re-watching my copy of "Rockin' In The Rockies" when the credits flashed the name "Spade Cooley, King of Western Swing". Personally, I've never heard of the pea picker before. The ONLY one worthy of "The King of Western Swing" to me is "Bob Wills and His Texas Playboys" … nuff said.
https://youtu.be/_s1Q651rGhY
The tacks won't come out! Well, they went in ... maybe they're income tacks.

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Team Stooge
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
Okay, maybe these boys (Spade Cooley) grasped the basics of Western Swing, and made great money at it … but …
https://binged.it/2ABrHL7

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Team Stooge
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
(I guess I'm a Texas TeeTotaler, eh?) … It just irks me that someone can claim to be the "King of Western Swing" by a movie credit.

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Team Stooge
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
I know our boys weren't the inventors of slapstick comedy, but I can say with confidence they were the "Kings" of slapstick comedy … now you know where my argument is coming from ...

Unless Bob Wills copyrighted " King of Western Swing ", that billing would be up for grabs, which my guess would be Columbia had thoroughly researched before using it.  And though Spade Cooley has been very much eclipsed by Bob Wills for old-time western swing fans since those vintage times, he was nonetheless a famous name back then.  He also lived a bizarre life, I wish I could tell you exactly where I found his story, I'm sure if you google it you'll find what I found.