Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

2018 MLB thread...

Offline Shemp_Diesel

Surprised no one started this topic, so what the hell...

Not much too disturbing this early in the season--except the Mets being in the basement (almost) and my new favorite team, the Astros mowing down the Yanks, today. Well--maybe not a new favorite--I think it's just Verlander in general.

I'll take Houston and the Cubs for the World Series. Way early, but I have nothing else to do...   :P
Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Offline metaldams

I'll be at the Sox vs. O's games in Baltimore, 6/13.

Boston is obviously doing great, best record in baseball as I type this....it's just a damn shame The Yanks won't go away.  I know I may sound greedy, but I want them to have a losing team, it's only been 25 years.  I think that's before some members of this board were born.  Giving the Yanks credit, they have a ton of good young players.  A Yankee fan friend of mine says George would have never built this team...and he's right.  These guys would have been traded for big free agents.

Speaking of Verlander, classy gesture tipping his cap to a booing Yankee Stadium today.  ;D

Houston has a Hell of a pitching staff, they have a chance to repeat, but anything can happen.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

My one game of the year was better than last year.  For the second year in a row, I see Chris Sale pitch.  In 2017, he lost 1 - 0 to the Phillies.  This year, I was at Wednesday's game in Baltimore, saw Boston win 5 - 1.  Baltimore sucks this year.  Talking to a big O's fan in the row in front of me, really low morale for that team.  But hey, I saw Mookie and J.D. hit bombs and Sale dominate, good for me.

By the way, through research and memory (the 5th inning Valentin home run I remember and was the giveaway), below is a link to the last time I was at Yankee Stadium.  Also included is a link to the time I saw Randy Johnson pitch at Fenway...not one of his highlights. I betcha some of you guys weren't even born yet.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/NYA/NYA199309190.shtml

https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/BOS/BOS199109070.shtml

- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Shemp_Diesel

Not much to go on about yet with this thread. The Mets are in the toilet and my only hope is maybe an Astros repeat, or someone knocking them off in the Series...

::)
Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Muttonhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!
The Marlins and Rays (my two local teams) find new ways to screw up every day.  José Ureña can't decide if he's a hack or not.
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline metaldams

As a Red Sox fan, I don't want to say too much in fear of a jinx, which is why I've been quiet this year, but......Mercy!

One stat.  J.D. Martinez has 37 home runs.  Boston has 35 losses.  It's August 14th.  Let that sink in.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Muttonhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!
Having watched so many Marlins games, I have seen José Ureña plunk a lot of people... so many that I can't decide whether or not that was intentional last night.
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline metaldams

Paul, The Marlins beat The Yankees twice this season, so they're not all bad.

The Baltimore Orioles are officially eliminated....on 8/21.  The Royals are not far behind.  Some unbelievably bad teams this year.  Even crap teams usually make it mathematically to September.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

Red Sox win 108, the division and eliminate The Yankees in the playoff.  They could get swept by Houston and I'll still consider this a great year.

Kimbrel almost gave me a heart attack tonight.  Almost had a moment like my grandfather's Red Sox.  LOL

- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Shemp_Diesel

A Houston/Dodgers rematch would not be bad at all. Of course, if Boston or someone else from the NL makes it, no big deal. You don't need the Cubs every year...

Offline Tony Bensley

The Red Sox continue to demonstrate how they won a franchise record 108 victories this year.

Am I the only one to see a slightly odd correlation with 108 wins and a guy named Mookie on the team?  Thankfully for Boston, they have this Mookie, and don't have to play against him in the World Series, this time around!  [pie]

CHEERS!  :)

Offline metaldams

The Red Sox continue to demonstrate how they won a franchise record 108 victories this year.

Am I the only one to see a slightly odd correlation with 108 wins and a guy named Mookie on the team?  Thankfully for Boston, they have this Mookie, and don't have to play against him in the World Series, this time around!  [pie]

CHEERS!  :)

'86 was the first World Series I followed at age 7.  Growing up in southern Connecticut, I couldn't decide to be a Mets, Yankees, or Red Sox fan.  My Dad as a kid was a Yanks fan, my uncle still is to this day, while my grandfather was a Red Sox fan dating back to the late 20's or early 30's.  I went back and forth every few weeks between the Yankees and Mets in '86 and officially chose Boston in '87, a year they went 78 - 84.  Wade Boggs was my hero.  I admit I'm now spoiled after my grandfather never saw them win.  A fourth World Series would be nice, but even if they don't do it, this has been a Hell of a season.

Mookie Betts 1000 X > Mookie Wilson
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

Equally as strange as a 108 win Red Sox team in the World Series with a Mookie is if they face The Dodgers.  They'll be facing manager Dave Roberts, author of the most famous stolen base in Red Sox history.  You'll never see an opposing World Series manager get a bigger ovation on the road when announced.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Tony Bensley

Equally as strange as a 108 win Red Sox team in the World Series with a Mookie is if they face The Dodgers.  They'll be facing manager Dave Roberts, author of the most famous stolen base in Red Sox history.  You'll never see an opposing World Series manager get a bigger ovation on the road when announced.
Indeed!

Offline Tony Bensley

IT IS HAPPENING!  [pie]

Offline metaldams

IT IS HAPPENING!  [pie]

The Dodgers are looking for blood, as man to man they've discussed revenge for the 1916 World Series.  [pie]
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Tony Bensley

The Dodgers are looking for blood, as man to man they've discussed revenge for the 1916 World Series.  [pie]
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Tony Bensley

The Boston Red Sox draw first blood, partly due to Dave Roberts over managing.  They sure don't fail to capitalize on the other team's mistakes often!   

CHEERS!  [pie]

Offline metaldams

The Boston Red Sox draw first blood, partly due to Dave Roberts over managing.  They sure don't fail to capitalize on the other team's mistakes often!   

CHEERS!  [pie]

Urias and Baez were both nasty, and Roberts did indeed take them out simply for match ups - it cost him.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Tony Bensley

David Price seems to have finally found his postseason groove.  Dave Roberts, on the other hand, is arguably still helping the Red Sox win in the postseason! ;)

CHEERS!  [pie]

Offline metaldams

Up 3-1 now!  Hope there's only one game left, as the playoffs and especially that 7.5 hour game, are bad for my health.  Wow.  Go Sox!
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Tony Bensley

This Boston Red Sox team can beat you in so many ways.  Of course, it also helps when the manager on the opposing team pulls their starter who's been hurling one hit ball over 6 and 2/3, and his bullpen (Especially Madson!) sh*ts the bed!  :o

Go Red Sox! :)

Offline Tony Bensley

Boston Red Sox 2018 World Series Champions!!!!  :)

Offline metaldams

Dominating '18 for two centuries now!  So fucking happy, and the profanity is necessary because saying I'm so happy just undermines how I feel.

Below is an email sent to a friend, no need to retype my thoughts differently a second time.

4 out of the last 15 World Series....from being cursed for 86 years.  Un fucking believable!  I'm just spoiled now...and yeah, eliminating the Yankees from the playoffs, winning 108 games, going 11-3 in the playoffs, eliminating 2 100 win teams and striking out Machado to end it was brilliant.  Second best Red Sox team ever - sorry, the 1912 squad still has a better winning percentage, even taking into account the playoffs, so Tris Speaker can rest easy, as can I.

Cora really pushed all the right buttons, and even the 7:20 game we lost, which I watched every pitch of, was unbelievable.  Hats off to Eovaldi there, Hell of an effort.  David Price proved all the doubters, myself included, wrong, and I'm so glad he did.  Steve Pearce grew up a Red Sox fan and is their WS MVP.  Sale isn't himself and Cora still finds a way to get good use of him, just a brilliant managing job.  Joe Kelly, who stunk after the all star break, is eating his Wheaties come October and was incredible.  Nunez gutsy as Hell, Devers clutch for such a young kid, 24 out of 25 of them are great, and the other, Drew Pomeranz, can enjoy his Forrest Gump like role.

Woo!  Feels good!
- Doug Sarnecky