Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Thelma Todd/Patsy Kelly shorts coming to DVD on 6/26

Offline falsealarms

A licensed DVD-only collection all 21 Thelma Todd/Patsy Kelly shorts made for Hal Roach is coming thanks to specialty label Classic Flix.

The label announced the set on Facebook on Thursday. A tentative release date is late June/early July.

In addition to the Todd/Kelly shorts, the label says the set is expected to have the 1 Patsy Kelly/Pert Shelton short and the 2 Patsy Kelly/Lyda Roberti shorts.

As for the shorts, the label says "the elements are the same ones that have been shown on TCM, but we're doing minor restoration work on them."

A pre-order is not available yet and the label says a full announcement is coming soon.

The initial batch of discs will be pressed but subsequent batches may be MODs.

Thelma Todd and Patsy Kelly

Beauty and the Bus (MGM, 1933)
Backs To Nature (MGM, 1933)
Air Fright (MGM, 1933)
Babes In the Goods (MGM, 1934)
Soup and Fish (MGM, 1934)
Maid In Hollywood (MGM, 1934)
I’ll Be Suing You (MGM, 1934)
Three Chumps Ahead (MGM, 1934)
One Horse Farmers (MGM, 1934)
Opened By Mistake (MGM, 1934)
Done In Oil (MGM, 1934)
Bum Voyage (MGM, 1934)
Treasure Blues (MGM, 1935)
Sing, Sister, Sing (MGM, 1935)
The Tin Man (MGM, 1935)
The Misses Stooge (MGM, 1935)
Slightly Static (MGM, 1935)
Twin Triplets (MGM, 1935)
Hot Money (MGM, 1935)
Top Flat (MGM, 1935)
All American Toothache (MGM, 1935)

Patsy Kelly and Pert Kelton

Pan Handlers (MGM, 1936)

Patsy Kelly and Lyda Roberti

Hill Tillies (MGM, 1936)
At Sea Ashore (MGM, 1936)
« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 07:29:11 PM by falsealarms »

Offline metaldams

Nice!  Will definitely buy.  A shame the Todd/Pitts shorts aren't being released too, but I gotta be thankful for what we're getting.  It really seems like the Hal Roach stuff is slowly seeing the light of day.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline falsealarms

Nice!  Will definitely buy.  A shame the Todd/Pitts shorts aren't being released too, but I gotta be thankful for what we're getting.  It really seems like the Hal Roach stuff is slowly seeing the light of day.

Have you seen many of these? I've seen a few - Beauty and the Bus, Babes in the Goods, and Top Flat - and all three are very good.

From what I understand, the Todd/Pitts shorts are licensed elsewhere.  I'll gladly take these, though.

Offline metaldams

Have you seen many of these? I've seen a few - Beauty and the Bus and Top Flat - and they are both very good.

From what I understand, the Todd/Pitts shorts are licensed elsewhere.  I'll gladly take these, though.

I've seen TOP FLAT as well, though it's been years.  May have seen one or two others, but can't remember what title.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Umbrella Sam

Have you seen many of these? I've seen a few - Beauty and the Bus, Babes in the Goods, and Top Flat - and all three are very good.

Strange that they’re licensed to someone else now. There’s a DVD release from not too long ago that features both Todd and Pitts and Todd and Kelly shorts.

I’m not all that familiar with these shorts, though from the few I’ve seen, they seem pretty good, and I thought Thelma Todd was good in the two Marx Brothers movies she appeared in. Good to see they’re all getting a DVD release now.
“I’ll take a milkshake...with sour milk!” -Shemp (Punchy Cowpunchers, 1950)

My blog: https://talk-about-cinema.blogspot.com

Offline falsealarms

Strange that they’re licensed to someone else now. There’s a DVD release from not too long ago that features both Todd and Pitts and Todd and Kelly shorts.

I’m not all that familiar with these shorts, though from the few I’ve seen, they seem pretty good, and I thought Thelma Todd was good in the two Marx Brothers movies she appeared in. Good to see they’re all getting a DVD release now.

That release was called "Female Comedy Teams" and was put out by an overseas company. Unfortunately, it was encoded in the PAL format which most U.S. players can't play.

Offline falsealarms

If anyone isn't familiar with these films (I've only seen about 5), ClassicFlix has posted some info for each:

DISC 1

Beauty and the Bus (1933, 17:21) - The girls win a new car and take it out for a spin. With Don Barclay, Eddie Baker, Tiny Sandford, Charlie Hall and Tommy Bond.

Backs to Nature (1933, 19:22) - Hoping for a good rest, the girls go camping in the woods. With Don Barclay, Alice Belcher and Charlie Hall.

Air Fright (1933, 18:36) - Thelma and Patsy are “air hostesses” during a flight to test an experimental parachute. With Don Barclay, Billy Bletcher and Wilfred Lucas.

Babes in the Goods (1934, 19:00) - The girls get locked in a department store window overnight. With Arthur Housman and Jack Barty.

Soup and Fish (1934, 17:50) - The girls are mistakenly invited to a swank affair and become the life of the party. With Billy Gilbert, Gladys Gale, Don Barclay and Charlie Hall.

Maid in Hollywood (1934, 19:29) - Patsy fixes a screen test for Thelma, but is a little too helpful on the set. With Billy Gilbert, Don Barclay, Eddie Foy, Jr., Constance Bergen, Billy Bletcher, Charlie Hall, Charley Rogers, James C. Morton and Jack Barty.

I'll Be Suing You (1934, 18:18) - The girls are responsible for hitting a truck, but an ambulance chasing lawyer makes them think otherwise. With Eddie Foy Jr., Benny Baker and Fred Kelsey.

Three Chumps Ahead (1934, 18:35) - Thelma falls for a smooth-talking shyster, but Patsy sees right through him. With Benny Baker, Eddie Phillips, Frank Moran and Billy Bletcher.

DISC 2

One-Horse Farmers (1934, 17:21) - Patsy and Thelma leave the big city for the simplicity of farm life. With James C. Morton, Nora Cecil and Billy Bletcher.

Opened by Mistake (1934, 18:46) - Patsy loses her job and apartment and barges in on Thelma at the local hospital where she lives and works as a nurse. With Nora Cecil, Charlie Hall and William Burress.

Done in Oil (1934, 17:54) - Thelma poses as a famous artist to try and sell some of her paintings. With Arthur Housman, Eddie Conrad, Leo White, Art Rowlands and William Wagner.

Bum Voyage (1934, 19:55) - The girls get free tickets on a cruise, but soon find out their presumed identities are as gorilla tamer and assistant. With Adrian Rosley and Noah Young.

Treasure Blues (1935, 18:49) - Patsy inherits her uncle’s estate which includes a map for buried treasure. With Arthur Housman, Sam Adams, Charlie Hall and Jack Lipson.

Sing Sister Sing (1935, 20:10) - Patsy is invited to room with Thelma, but they don’t get along. With Arthur Housman, Harry Bowen and Charlie Hall.

The Tin Man (1935, 14:47) - Lost while driving, the girls stop and ask for directions at the house of a mad scientist who is bent on the destruction of the opposite sex. With Clarence Wilson and Matthew Betz.

The Misses Stooge (1935, 18:48) - After losing their jobs as hoofers, the girls are recruited by a magician to be in his act. With Esther Howard, Herman Bing, Rafael Storm and Henry Roquemore.

DISC 3

Slightly Static (1935, 18:20) - Looking for a job in radio, the girls land a break when other performers walk out just before air time. With Sons of the Pioneers (including Roy Rogers in his first screen appearance), The Randall Sisters, Harold Waldridge, Dell Henderson, Nora Cecil and Carol Hughes.

Twin Triplets (1935, 20:29) - Patsy gives news reporter Thelma a hot tip about sextuplets being born and they concoct a plan to use the story as a means to land on easy street. With Greta Meyer, John Dilson, Billy Bletcher, Bess Flowers, Charlie Hall, Grace Goodall, James C. Morton and Charley Rogers.

Hot Money (1935, 17:23) - A crook asks the girls to hold $50,000 in cash, but when he winds up dead, everyone in the girls’ apartment building is a suspect. With James Burke, Fred Kelsey, Louis Natheaux and Brooks Benedict.

Top Flat (1935, 19:18) - Patsy creates a ruckus at a Park Ave penthouse where Thelma is employed. With Grace Goodall, Fuzzy Knight, Ferdinand Munier and Garry Owen.

An All-American Toothache (1936, 19:38) - Thelma convinces Patsy she has a toothache in order to let the local college football star pass his dental exam. With Johnny Arthur, Mickey Daniels, Duke York, Bud Jamison, Si Jenks and Billy Bletcher.

BONUS SHORTS:

Pan Handlers (1936, 20:15) - Patsy and Pert try their hand at selling aluminum pots and pans door-to-door. With Rosina Lawrence and Grace Goodall.

At Sea Ashore (1936, 19:29) - Patsy gets stuck in the local immigration office while trying to find her boss’ niece. With Al Shean, Robert Emmett O’Connor, Joe Twerp, Harry Bowen and Fred Kelsey.

Hill-Tillies (1936, 17:52) - Out-of-work showgirls Patsy and Lyda hatch a scheme to get free publicity by camping out in the forest without any modern conveniences. With Toby Wing, Harry Bowen, Sam Adams, Jim Thorpe and James C. Morton.

Offline falsealarms

My set arrived early since I pre-ordered through ClassicFlix. And it was so good that I already finished it!

These shorts are generally a lot of fun and were long overdue for proper release. They're not all great but the batting average is pretty high.

The best Todd/Kelly shorts were Beauty and the Bus, Babes in the Goods, I'll Be Suing You, One Horse Farmers, Opened by Mistake, Twin Triplets, Hot Money and Top Flat.

The few that I didn't think worked all that well were Bum Voyage, The Tin Man, and Slightly Static.

As for the shorts after Todd's death, you couldn't help but miss her presence. Pan Handlers (Kelly/Kelton) and At Sea Ashore (Kelly/Roberti) managed to be fun anyway. Hill-Tillies (Kelly/Roberti) was downright dreadful - possibly the worst effort on the entire set.

Lots of familiar faces pop up. Arthur Housman practically co-stars in a couple shorts. You'll also see Fred Kelsey, James C. Morton, Bess Flowers, Bobby Burns, Bud Jamison, among others.

There shouldn't be many complaints about the video/audio.

Watching this set, I couldn't help but wonder where Todd's career might have gone if not for her death. We'll never know but it's fun to wonder.

&feature=share

Offline metaldams

Thanks for the review, False.  Wanna hear some irony?  ThelmaTodd replacement Lyda Roberti also died freakishly young, a heart attack at 31.  If I ever get a time machine, remind me not to form a comedy team with Patsy Kelly!

Really looking forward to this set.  My copy isn't scheduled to arrive until next weekend, but I'll pitch my thoughts when I get it and watch the shorts.  Once the other Chase volumes and the Todd/Pitts set come out, I'll have one Hell of a Roach marathon with my Laurel and Hardy and Our Gang sets .  While we have a decent amount available, more Columbia releases like this would be great.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

I just finished the second of three discs and am really enjoying this set.  I'm used to seeing Thelma Todd play sexy pre code vamps, but in these shorts she is a comic straight lady to Patsy Kelly, even engaging in the occasional subtle Oliver Hardy vocal inflection.  Of course, it's Thelma Todd, so they still make her gratuitously undress in front of the camera on occasion (for shame!  [pie] ), but it's really nice seeing her play straighter, and a lead at that.  She was definitely a talent.  Patsy Kelly is also a pleasure to watch - cute, loud, and over the top.  She really shines in some of the better moments, especially in OPENED BY MISTAKE.  Her energy rivals prime Curly in this one.  Just make sure never to show DONE IN OIL to college kids. 

But yeah, I like these shorts, even the lesser ones.  I feel very fortunate having all these old two reelers on DVD...we live in a golden age for seeing this between between home releases and YouTube.  I'm old enough to remember the VHS days when getting all 190 Stooge shorts seemed impossible and for the pre VHS generation before me having to order Blackhawk Film reels....I couldn't imagine.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

Just finished the complete set, very enjoyable.

As far as the post Todd shorts, what was very noticeable, especially in HILL-TILLIES, is that Lyda Roberti played a dim witted character, which had a very different chemistry with the high strung Patsy Kelly as opposed to Thelma Todd's more New England cultured yet still funny straighter persona.  Thelma Todd definitely complimented Patsy Kelly more.  The Pert Kelton short was quite good, but that had more to do with a funny script than any team chemistry.  I noticed Patsy Kelly doing some very Curlylike singining in that short.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline GreenCanaries

• President of the Johnny Kascier Fan Club
  • Birdbrain
Just got both the Todd/Kelly and the Chase DVDs in the mail last night (ordered them both - in the case of the Chase set, finally - earlier this week). Excited to sit down and watch them!
"With oranges, it's much harder..."