Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

So You Won't Squawk (1940) - Buster Keaton

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Muttonhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!

Watch SO YOU WON'T SQUAWK here, if you dare trust the Russians, who are experts at intellectual property theft and computer viruses!  It's tough with the Columbia spies rooting out even the non-Stooge shorts on there.

The Damfino's notes are still suspended whilst they redo their website.  They have deleted all Buster reviews and are slowly rewriting them from scratch.

SO YOU WON'T SQUAWK is one of the best Keaton Columbia shorts.  It has plot, characters, and laughs.  It also has Columbia's trademark corny effects.

Buster Keaton is a constant.  He is just one of those actors who, unless he's in a real foul mood or tipsy on the set, will always do an awesome job.  Columbia fortunately has other such guaranteed actors in this one, namely Bud Jamison and Vernon Dent.  Add in solid performances from other actors, and you have a perfectly decent film.  SO YOU WON'T SQUAWK is such a film.

What follows is an entirely film within the Columbia shorts sphere (though not unique in general).  I can't really complain here.  It's straight forward and funny.

OK, I'm a sucker for car chase scenes.  I'm a gearhead through and through and am absolutely enamored with that car chase.  I laugh hysterically as the cars dodge the objects and everything.

It's been too long since I've seen this one, so perhaps my memory is faded.

9/10 [poke] [poke] [poke] [poke] [poke] [poke] [poke] [poke] [poke]
#1 fire kibitzer

Well, O K.  It's a new script, anyway, no hint of a remake or any retreaded bits that I've seen before, at least, and it's ten years before Shemp hangs out the window on a similar phone extender.  The amazement continues to be Buster doing ( almost ) all his own stunts, at age 46 now, right?  When I was 46, I was trying to figure out how I got so goddamn old so goddamn fast.  Not Buster.  The way he makes a slug of booze literally knock him on his ass, I've never seen that stunt anywhere else, by anyone.
     Yet, he's just not a Columbia comic, is he?  He executes the gags like the champion he is, but his overall impact is pathos, you feel ever so slightly sorry for him, and I mean his character, his persona, not his professional situation.  I posted before that I think it might be his voice, he doesn't have the major-league distress call that his contemporaries had, and it seems especially obvious in this one. Even sixty-plus W C Fields in his late ones, The Bank Dick and Never Give etc.etc. lent his car chases  lots of humor vocally.  Buster just doesn't seem to have that arrow in his quiver.  And speaking of the car chase, it looks like it's from a different movie: the rest of the film is very urban, and the chase is out in the farmlands somewhere.
     A-plusses, however, for originality of the screenplay ( though the title is dumb ) and Buster's stunt work.  And I do like the jaunty new Tyrolean feather in the pork-pie as a final accessory to his spiffy new suit.

Offline GreenCanaries

• President of the Johnny Kascier Fan Club
  • Birdbrain
And speaking of the car chase, it looks like it's from a different movie: the rest of the film is very urban, and the chase is out in the farmlands somewhere.

According to Okuda and Watz, it's stock footage from the 1935 Columbia film SHE COULDN'T TAKE IT.
"With oranges, it's much harder..."

Offline Umbrella Sam

It’s a shame that Del Lord didn’t direct more films for Keaton, since he seemed to work with Keaton very well. In my opinion, SO YOU WON’T SQUAWK is the best Keaton film we’ve seen since PEST FROM THE WEST, which, of course, is the only other Keaton Columbia short to be directed by Lord.

Yeah, the concept is definitely really good, even if it isn’t necessarily tailored for Keaton (some of Keaton’s escapes are based a bit too much on luck more than anything else). Still, many of the physical stunts are very well executed and Keaton ends up making the short his own through this.

The supporting cast does a good job throughout, even Matt McHugh. Even though it’s stock footage, I really like the police chase as well and it makes for an entertaining finale that, ironically, is probably more like Keaton’s silent chases than any of the other Columbia shorts.

Of course, I can’t finish this without mentioning that the “hanging from a phone” gag was later reused in STUDIO STOOPS, and the idea of getting the police to chase you to catch the real criminals that was used for the finale also seems to have had some influence on the ending of STUDIO STOOPS. I will mention that I think the phone gag is done better by Shemp, as he has more to say and Keaton’s ultimately doesn’t turn out to be that threatening since he survives the fall. For the most part, though, the gags work well, such as Keaton’s tendency to fall when having a drink or the out-of-control phone in the gangster’s office.

This was a huge improvement over the previous Keaton short.

9 out of 10
“I’ll take a milkshake...with sour milk!” -Shemp (Punchy Cowpunchers, 1950)

My blog: https://talk-about-cinema.blogspot.com

Offline metaldams

I agree with Big Chief about the falls for a 46 year old man.  Very impressive, be it the drunken falls, or my personal favorite....when Bud Jamison goes under the ladder and causes Keaton to do a massive split to the ground from up high on the ladder.  Ye-oww!  Keaton still had it with the physical stunts. 

It is true about the stock footage in the police chase scene.  Very obvious, and the getting police angry to chase you to lead them to the scene of the crime gag is a silent staple.  The gag towards the end where the train stops the police chasing Keaton (who was past the train), was done better in THE GOAT.  This is all nitpicking on my part to remind we are not watching classic Keaton, but on its own, none of this takes too much from the enjoyment of the film.  Keaton himself is still in good form doing what he can.

Fun watching Keaton in a 1940 directed Del Lord Columbia short.  Stock footage scenes aside, we get those outdoor shots where there are other actors in the background...something you simply don't see in a 50's film, or when you do, like THE TOOTH WILL OUT, it feels like it belongs to this early 40's era.  Low budget for Keaton is high budget for Columbia, in other words!  Also nice seeing Marjorie Deanne.  Wish she was used more here, but she's cute as a button.  Always liked her.
- Doug Sarnecky

I wondered in a previous post about the time overlap between Buster's doing these Columbia shorts and working as an MGM gagman, and I think we agreed that he was doing both at the same time.  As far as I can tell he was certainly working at MGM on Go West and maybe even some Red Skelton films right around this time.
     What I'm trying to do now is nail down when he stopped drinking alcoholically.  He's obviously sober and in great physical shape for the Columbias, no human could be drinking to any kind of excess and still pull off that kind of physical comedy.  Granted his dialog is always a beat behind the rest of the cast, but I would suggest that he does that on purpose as part of the Dumb Elmer act.  But no middle-aged drunk could pull off that physicality the way he does, and believe me when I say that as a professional musician I know a whole bunch of middle-aged drunks.  No way, just no way.
     Too, right around the time of Squawk, 1940, he married Eleanor, and everything I have read indicates he was clean and sober by then.  All available reference work tells us that Eleanor, a beautiful, smart, and classy lady, wise to the ways of Show Business, would not have hitched her wagon to a drunk twice her age.  Twice her age, maybe. Drunk, no.  Indeed, she remained his champion for the rest of her life.
     O K, no news so far, but stay with me:  I was surfing the other night, and came across Grand Slam Opera, one of Buster's Educationals, and Buster was obviously as physical and with-it as he was in the Columbias.  This too was not the work of a guy who was shit-faced.  Now, let's deal with the series of stills taken of Laurel and Hardy, Durante, and Buster in 1932.  I love them.  Buster is hammered, and I mean hammered, in all of them, to an obvious, almost grotesque degree.  You've all seen them, I'm sure.  You're tempted to think it's a parody, except in shot after shot he's in the same condition.
     But that was 1932 at MGM, when Buster had lost everything, personally, financially, and professionally.  After such a precipitous fall you and I would certainly be having a quart or two a night as well, or at least I would, especially if we had been veering that way for a few years anyway, and had had from birth the ( let's say ) volatile genes of Joe Keaton.
     My point being that I think Buster sobered up between the time those stills were shot and his being hired at Educational, a lot earlier than has been
estimated.  Educational took him on in, I think, '35 or'36, and Columbia in, I think, '39.  I'm postulating that as bad shape as Buster was in in 1932, he had cleaned up his act by 1936, because Educational, maybe, and certainly Columbia, would never hire a down-and-outer for a starring series, even a starring series of shorts.  That's not just bad business, it's corporate imbecility.  Both studios would have done more homework than that.
     THE ONLY EXCEPTION BEING ( I'll stop soon, I promise ): If Buster had turned into a binge drinker, one who could go months on the wagon and then crash completely, thus demolishing all studio schedules.  The only reason I bring this up is one sentence in Tom Dardis's Keaton book which says that even after Buster's marriage to Eleanor, there were "troubling episodes".   Those episodes may have been benders.  Buster may have had the physical strength in those years ( and god knows he had physical strength ) to hold off the benders until the filming was done.  In any case, after his marriage to Eleanor, he seems to have cut down eventually to nothing.  If he had stopped smoking, ( he died of lung cancer ) he was so tough he might be with us yet.

Offline Umbrella Sam

I wondered in a previous post about the time overlap between Buster's doing these Columbia shorts and working as an MGM gagman, and I think we agreed that he was doing both at the same time.  As far as I can tell he was certainly working at MGM on Go West and maybe even some Red Skelton films right around this time.
     What I'm trying to do now is nail down when he stopped drinking alcoholically.  He's obviously sober and in great physical shape for the Columbias, no human could be drinking to any kind of excess and still pull off that kind of physical comedy.  Granted his dialog is always a beat behind the rest of the cast, but I would suggest that he does that on purpose as part of the Dumb Elmer act.  No middle-aged drunk could pull off that physicality the way he does, though, and believe me when I say that as a professional musician I know a whole bunch of middle-aged drunks.  No way, just no way.
     Too, right around the time of Squawk, 1940, he married Eleanor, and everything I have read indicates he was clean and sober by then.  Common sense tells us that Eleanor, a beautiful, smart, and classy lady, wise to the ways of Show Business, would not have hitched her wagon to a drunk twice her age.  Twice her age maybe, drunk, no.
     O K, no news so far, but stay with me:  I was surfing the other night, and came across Grand Slam Opera, one of Buster's Educationals, and Buster was obviously as physical and with-it as he was in the Columbias.  This too was not the work of a guy who was shit-faced.  Now, I love the series of stills taken of Laurel and Hardy, Durante, and Buster in 1932.  Buster is hammered, and I mean hammered, in all of them, to an obvious, almost grotesque degree.  You've all seen them, I'm sure.  You're tempted to think it's a parody, except in shot after shot he's in the same condition.
     But that was 1932 at MGM, when Buster had lost everything, personally, financially, and professionally.  After such a precipitous fall you and I would certainly be having a quart or two a night as well, or at least I would, especially if we had been veering that way for a few years anyway, and had had from birth the ( let's say ) volatile genes of Joe Keaton.
     My point being that I think Buster sobered up between the time those stills were shot and his being hired at Educational, a lot earlier than has been
estimated.  Educational took him on in, I think, '35 or'36, and Columbia in, I think, '39.  I'm postulating that as bad shape as Buster was in in 1932, he had cleaned up his act by 1936, because Educational, maybe, and certainly Columbia, would never hire a down-and-outer for a starring series, even a starring series of shorts.  That's not just bad business, it's corporate disaster.  Both studios would have done more homework than that.
     THE ONLY EXCEPTION BEING ( I'll stop soon, I promise ): If Buster had turned into a binge drinker, one who could go months on the wagon and then crash completely, thus demolishing all studio schedules.  The only reason I bring this up is one sentence in Tom Dardis's Keaton book which says that even after Buster's marriage to Eleanor, there were "troubling episodes".   Those episodes may have been benders.  Buster may have had the physical strength in those years ( and god knows he had physical strength ) to hold off the benders until the filming was done.  In any case, after his marriage to Eleanor, he seems to have cut down eventually to nothing.  If he had stopped smoking ( he died of lung cancer ) he was so tough he might be with us yet.

1936 seems like a reasonable estimate, given that Keaton divorced his second wife around this time (his second marriage was caused by drinking and was apparently very acrimonious) and I don’t know of any stories of Keaton leaving set like he did at MGM. However, I would like to make a few notes.

First, the initial Keaton Educational shorts were released in 1934, over a year before the release of THE INVADER, a production in which Keaton was indeed still drinking, as confirmed by co-star Lupita Tovar, who almost drowned because he was unable to save her during an important scene due to his drinking. Crew members ended up having to save both of them (ironically, in the final film, Keaton doesn’t end up saving her anyway; they’re both saved by his assistant). Since this was filmed around the same time as his Educationals, this shows that Educational was willing to hire someone in his condition, though he still could have sobered up by 1936.

As for Columbia, I don’t think that they had particularly high standards either. Jules White said in an interview that he liked to hire former stars when they were down on their luck so that they wouldn’t be in a position to ask for too much money and White had previously worked with Keaton at MGM when Keaton was causing multiple production delays. Add in the fact that the suggestion to hire Keaton came from Clyde Bruckman, who himself had lost work due to drinking, I think it’s safe to say that White knew what risks he was taking when he was hiring Keaton. Although I do believe that Keaton was at least sober when hired by Columbia, if he weren’t, Columbia may have been willing to hire him anyway.

As for later “episodes,” I did read somewhere that some of the people who worked with Keaton on the beach party films in the 1960s felt as though he came off as being drunk sometimes on the set, although this was also from the perspective of college-age students who admitted that they didn’t really talk to him all that much.
“I’ll take a milkshake...with sour milk!” -Shemp (Punchy Cowpunchers, 1950)

My blog: https://talk-about-cinema.blogspot.com

Sam, I'm revising my mega-post one word at a time to get it as accurate as I can, I may not be finished yet, though I think I'm close.  I think we agree about 1936 being when Buster went more or less on the wagon.  This differs from Tom Dardis's inference that Buster's going on the wagon more or less coincided with his meeting and marrying Eleanor in 1940.  I did not know he started at Educational in 1934.  I might guess that after the low point of 1932 ( I think we'd agree on those stills ) that Educational in 1934 might have thought well, he's a lot better than that now, let's give him a try, which actually proved to be a good call.  And I can't help but think that Jules White would have seen Buster's Educationals and said to himself Buster looks O K in these, he's obviously not asking much, let's sign him, he might be a bargain.  I think the Columbia low bar you're talking about might be the salaries the given performers were asking, not their personal frailties.  As far as I know, Harry Langdon  didn't abuse alcohol like Buster, but they both ended up at Columbia. Both comedians arrived at Jules's fiefdom by different routes.
     In any case, I think we agree that Buster had stopped drinking alcoholically by about 1936, salvaging his career, which he ended up thinking was on the whole satisfyingly successful.  And if I had had to make some of the movies he had to make during his last ten years,  I would have had a few stiff ones, too.

Offline metaldams

I don't have much to add, but pretty much agree spot on with Sam's post, guessing around 1936ish.  Keaton definitely had issues when he married his second wife, whom he was married to during Educational, so it may be reasonable to believe later in the Educational stint (when he made GRAND SLAM OPERA, which I agree is amazing the skill he shows), is when he sobered up for the most part.  I'll browse through a book or two and see if I can come up with anything else.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Dr. Mabuse

The difference between "So You Won't Squawk" and other Keaton two-reelers for Columbia can be summed up in two words: Del Lord. It's a shame they didn't collaborate more often.  For the most part, Buster and Jules White were not a good fit.

9/10

Offline Kopfy2013

Del Lord definitely makes a difference .... great stunts/slapstick ... love the bowling from dance floor thru office .... Rate it a 7

Offline I. Cheatam

The difference between "So You Won't Squawk" and other Keaton two-reelers for Columbia can be summed up in two words: Del Lord. It's a shame they didn't collaborate more often.  For the most part, Buster and Jules White were not a good fit.

9/10

The slapstick is balanced a lot better, compared to the Jules White-directed shorts.