Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Some More of Samoa

Guest · 4 · 1388

Pilsner Panther

Since today's episode pick is one of my all-time favorites, I thought I'd offer a few comments.

To me, the best and the funniest Stooges shorts are the most "cartoony" ones, and "Some More of Samoa" is a prime example. Everything from the crazy old man in the wheelchair to the nurse on roller skates (!?) to Curly's injection to the hunt for the Puckerless Persimmon Tree to the idol to the Chief's ugly sister, it's all completely off the wall and it could never happen in the real world— but at the same time, it has a kind of strange, surrealistic logic to it. There really isn't anyone doing that kind of comedy nowadays... it's a lost art.

When people ask me what the Stooges are all about (believe it or not, I've been asked a couple of times), I've always told them, "If you don't get it, just look at them as if you were watching a live-action animated cartoon." Shorts like this one (and "Punch Drunks" and "False Alarms" and "Scrambled Brains," among others) have a lot in common comedy-wise with the  work of contemporary cartoon directors like Tex Avery and Bob Clampett. Anything goes— anything that can be put on film, that is— no holds barred.

In honor of "Some More of Samoa," here's the original hit recording of "Beat Me Daddy, Eight to the Bar," by the Andrews Sisters.

8)

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: June 20, 2005, 02:22:26 AM by Pilsner Panther »

titmouse

"Cut off that Limb!!!!"

"Oh goodness there going to cut off his leg".........fainting...........

I just loved the way Simona Boniface took every scene and ran with it......one of my favorite shorts also especially when black native had curly on the table sizing him up with a machette for the stooge stew...... ::)

Pilsner Panther

"Cut off that Limb!!!!"

"Oh goodness there going to cut off his leg".........fainting...........

I just loved the way Simona Boniface took every scene and ran with it......one of my favorite shorts also especially when black native had curly on the table sizing him up with a machette for the stooge stew...... ::)

Oh, yeah, she's great in this one... and then there's the scene you mentioned, where Curly decides that he'd rather be a "Roast Stooge" than marry the Chief's ugly sister (the same character actress who's in "Disorder In The Court" and "Dizzy Doctors.")

;D

titmouse

btw friend......who played the tribes chief...father of the "pretty girl."....he looks 8 feet tall...i think i saw him in another short or two.....maybe a saloon scene in one of the stooges "western" themed shorts.....

also, many thanks for the wurlitzer downloads.....as a kid in early 60's indiana we had a pizza place called "pipe dreams" that had an old pipe organ that someone played while we ate pizza....it was a blast.... >:D