Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

The Andy Griffith Show

Offline archiezappa

I don't know if it's been discussed here before. One of my all-time favorite shows, besides The Three Stooges, is The Andy Griffith Show. I've always enjoyed watching it. I can watch any episode anytime and enjoy it.

Do you like Andy Griffith?

Offline Umbrella Sam

I’ve seen a few episodes. I’ve been meaning to check out more. From what I’ve observed, though, it seems like a show with a premise that allows for many different opportunities in terms of situations characters can get into.
“I’ll take a milkshake...with sour milk!” -Shemp (Punchy Cowpunchers, 1950)

My blog: https://talk-about-cinema.blogspot.com

Offline Squirrelbait

Love Andy Griffith. Don Knotts was a comic genius and he cracked me up as Barney Fife!
If there's no other place around the place, I reckon this must be the place, I reckon.

Offline dukieboy

I think the guy who played Floyd the barber was a genius.
Andy Grittith, in an interview I once saw, agreed with me.

Offline Curly Van Dyke

One of my favorite episodes is "Convicts at Large". 3 Escaped Female Convicts hold Barney and Floyd hostage
in a mountain cabin. The ladies are a hoot but Floyd is the star,here.
One of the gals even calls him, Charlie Chase.One of the writers must have been a Chase fan.

Offline Moose Malloy

I recently learned why after the first couple of seasons Floyd was always shot sitting in his barber chair: do to some serious illness he wasn't able to ambulate normally. I forget the details, but I remember that Andy insisted on keeping him on the show.

My fave episodes were when the backwoods Darlings with their horny, tuneful daughter would come to town, and Elmer Kelp, played by funny man Howard Morris. BTW wasn't that his name as the Dad of the NUTTY PROFESSOR in the original  release  ??? I never caught on to that 'till now!

Offline Moose Malloy

I'm not sure of the time frame, but Andy must have been a fan of Jerry Lewis' cast choices because Alvia Allman played Pop Kelp's wife. You will remember her as Lucy and Ethel's supervisor in the assembly line skit, going on to be a frequent player as Granny's foil, Elvira Gulch, and of course, on Andy's show.

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
I recently learned why after the first couple of seasons Floyd was always shot sitting in his barber chair: do to some serious illness he wasn't able to ambulate normally. I forget the details, but I remember that Andy insisted on keeping him on the show.

Howard McNear suffered a stroke in the the 3rd season, shortly after completing production of the episode "Convicts at Large."  After some recovery and rehabilitation, he returned toward the end of the 4th season.  He retired in early 1967 toward the end of the 7th season after suffering additional setbacks; he died in January 1969.

Elmer Kelp, played by funny man Howard Morris.

Howard Morris played hillbilly Ernest T. Bass.  There was no character on THE ANDY GRIFFITH SHOW with the name of Kelp.

Offline Moose Malloy

Howard McNear suffered a stroke in the the 3rd season, shortly after completing production of the episode "Convicts at Large."  After some recovery and rehabilitation, he returned toward the end of the 4th season.  He retired in early 1967 toward the end of the 7th season after suffering additional setbacks; he died in January 1969.

Howard Morris played hillbilly Ernest T. Bass.  There was no character on THE ANDY GRIFFITH SHOW with the name of Kelp.
You are of course correct. One shouldn't toke and type. ???