Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Gold Raiders/Meet The Baron DVD defects

ThumpTheShoes

I just tested out the three discs of my Comedy Teams box set and my extra disc of the Gold Raiders/Baron movies and all play (or, at least can be skipped thru/ fast-forwarded) without a problem.

I have, as such, also been severely warned about piracy no less than 12 times just by checking those discs.

Offline Tony Bensley

I just tested out the three discs of my Comedy Teams box set and my extra disc of the Gold Raiders/Baron movies and all play (or, at least can be skipped thru/ fast-forwarded) without a problem.

I have, as such, also been severely warned about piracy no less than 12 times just by checking those discs.
Just for checking your discs for playability?  Good Grief!  ::)

Offline Myren

And I know that is the disc that has given hassle to people. I was just pointing out you can still try and get a hard copy.

Offline Larrys#1

Those are third party. It's fulfilled by Amazon, meaning it's stocked at Amazon's warehouse, but it's still third party and not an official stock from Amazon. Worth a shot, but not sure if it's worth the trouble for me. If it took me this long to realize my DVD went bad, then it just goes to show how frequently I plan on watching it.  :)

Offline Tony Bensley

To be honest, I ended up watching GOLD RAIDERS (1951) on YouTube.  It's pretty bad when you have the DVD, and yet that is the only viable (If not necessarily legal!) option, for those who reside outside the U.S, at least!  ::)

CHEERS!  [3stooges]

Offline Tony Bensley

OK, there was apparently a later Mexican pressing of the Warner MEET THE BARON (1933)/GOLD RAIDERS (1951) DVD.  This would be the desired version, as opposed to the previous Canadian pressing.

Hopefully, this information proves helpful for some, at least!

CHEERS!  [3stooges]

Offline Tony Bensley

FYI: It has recently come to my attention that despite having been told by Sherri Bogard of its unavailability,  GOLD RAIDERS apparently can be obtained from the WB Shop as a MOD DVD.

CHEERS!  [3stooges]

Offline QuinceHead

Calling all knucklebrains and chowderheads!

This dual-DVD appears to be back in print, per Warners’ email this week:

https://www.wbshop.com/products/gold-raiders-meet-the-baron-mod

For duty and humanity,
JohnH aka QuinceHead

Offline metaldams

Well, a little late to the party, but I put my DVD in and guess what - same issue!  GOLD RAIDERS is a no go, MEET THE BARON works fine.  I’ll try a different DVD player tomorrow, but based on what I’m reading, it doesn’t sound like I’ll have better luck.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Tony Bensley

Well, a little late to the party, but I put my DVD in and guess what - same issue!  GOLD RAIDERS is a no go, MEET THE BARON works fine.  I’ll try a different DVD player tomorrow, but based on what I’m reading, it doesn’t sound like I’ll have better luck.
That sucks!  :(

Offline Tony Bensley

Earlier this week, I decided to email Sherri Bogard again about my issue with the GOLD RAIDERS (1951) / MEET THE BARON (1933) DVD.  While Sherri stated in her reply that nothing can be done at the moment due to their offices being currently closed on account of the current [pandemic] situation, she would be more than happy to begin initiating the exchange process as soon as she can get back in her office! 

Better late than never!  [pie]

CHEERS!  [3stooges]

Offline Tony Bensley

Earlier this week, I decided to email Sherri Bogard again about my issue with the GOLD RAIDERS (1951) / MEET THE BARON (1933) DVD.  While Sherri stated in her reply that nothing can be done at the moment due to their offices being currently closed on account of the current [pandemic] situation, she would be more than happy to begin initiating the exchange process as soon as she can get back in her office! 

Better late than never!  [pie]

CHEERS!  [3stooges]
I'm rather late in updating my situation in this thread, but as promised, Sherri Bogard did eventually send me the GOLD RAIDERS (1951) / MEET THE BARON (1933) MOD as my DVD replacement. As with past experience, I didn't have to return the semi-defective DVD. To the best of my recall, I received my exchange sometime around late summer / early autumn.

Yes, both titles played fine!

CHEERS!  [3stooges]

Offline Mark The Shark

I took a gamble and picked up a very reasonably priced Gold Raiders/Meet The Baron DVD on eBay. In the photos, the words "DISC MADE IN MEXICO" appear in blue ink at the bottom of the back cover. I have seen this note on other Warner DVDs but I thought it was on the outer shrink. This was unsealed and the phrase was printed right on the back cover.

Anyway, both movies play fine. This is a later pressing of the original issue, not (as far as I can tell) the Warner Archive version. So I'll swap it out in my Classic Comedy Teams box set. I am pretty sure the A&C and L&H discs are fine.

So you've got two choices for this one, either get it via Warner Archive or look for "DISC MADE IN MEXICO" in blue text.

Offline Tony Bensley

I took a gamble and picked up a very reasonably priced Gold Raiders/Meet The Baron DVD on eBay. In the photos, the words "DISC MADE IN MEXICO" appear in blue ink at the bottom of the back cover. I have seen this note on other Warner DVDs but I thought it was on the outer shrink. This was unsealed and the phrase was printed right on the back cover.

Anyway, both movies play fine. This is a later pressing of the original issue, not (as far as I can tell) the Warner Archive version. So I'll swap it out in my Classic Comedy Teams box set. I am pretty sure the A&C and L&H discs are fine.

So you've got two choices for this one, either get it via Warner Archive or look for "DISC MADE IN MEXICO" in blue text.
I'm really glad this worked out for you, Mark! GOLD RAIDERS (1951) is a gem of a Stooges Feature, to be sure, whereas, I find MEET THE BARON (1933) just kind of hangs there! I think I can only handle so much of "Ted Healy & His Stooges," which is OK for the MGM Musical shorts, but at feature length is a bit much! Just my opinion.

CHEERS!  [3stooges]

Offline Mark The Shark

I'm really glad this worked out for you, Mark! GOLD RAIDERS (1951) is a gem of a Stooges Feature, to be sure, whereas, I find MEET THE BARON (1933) just kind of hangs there! I think I can only handle so much of "Ted Healy & His Stooges," which is OK for the MGM Musical shorts, but at feature length is a bit much! Just my opinion.

CHEERS!  [3stooges]

Thanks, Tony. I hope this might be helpful to anyone else who's looking for a "functional" copy of the disc. A few years after this set came out, I used to see the individual discs cheap at Sam's Club (back when they had a good selection of DVDs) but I never bothered with it as I had the box and was at the time unaware of any issues.

Ted Healy and the Stooges really aren't in "Meet The Baron" that much, just an occasional routine. The film is really carried by Jack Pearl and Jimmy Durante and it's been a long time since I watched it all the way through, but I remember enjoying it and getting the vibe that they were going for kind of a Marx Brothers type of humor (at least attempting it), and I appreciated it on that level as far as it went.

I find Jack Pearl interesting. Apparently he was a star in vaudeville but that really didn't translate into a movie career for him. His filmography on Wikipedia only lists three films, the last of which was "Hollywood Party" from 1934, but he lived into the early 1980s.

I watched "Gold Raiders" once or twice when I first got the set, just spot-checked it last night. I remember the Stooges do some barbershop harmony in it, which I always enjoy. I need to watch it again.

I was very glad to get the "Classic Comedy Teams" set when it was released. It filled some gaps, even though none of these films were the best work of any of the teams. When the TCM Archives Laurel & Hardy set came out I was glad to have "The Devil's Brother" and "Bonnie Scotland" but wondered where "Air Raid Wardens" and "Nothing But Trouble" would surface. They ended up here.

Offline Tony Bensley

Thanks, Tony. I hope this might be helpful to anyone else who's looking for a "functional" copy of the disc. A few years after this set came out, I used to see the individual discs cheap at Sam's Club (back when they had a good selection of DVDs) but I never bothered with it as I had the box and was at the time unaware of any issues.

Ted Healy and the Stooges really aren't in "Meet The Baron" that much, just an occasional routine. The film is really carried by Jack Pearl and Jimmy Durante and it's been a long time since I watched it all the way through, but I remember enjoying it and getting the vibe that they were going for kind of a Marx Brothers type of humor (at least attempting it), and I appreciated it on that level as far as it went.

I find Jack Pearl interesting. Apparently he was a star in vaudeville but that really didn't translate into a movie career for him. His filmography on Wikipedia only lists three films, the last of which was "Hollywood Party" from 1934, but he lived into the early 1980s.

I watched "Gold Raiders" once or twice when I first got the set, just spot-checked it last night. I remember the Stooges do some barbershop harmony in it, which I always enjoy. I need to watch it again.

I was very glad to get the "Classic Comedy Teams" set when it was released. It filled some gaps, even though none of these films were the best work of any of the teams. When the TCM Archives Laurel & Hardy set came out I was glad to have "The Devil's Brother" and "Bonnie Scotland" but wondered where "Air Raid Wardens" and "Nothing But Trouble" would surface. They ended up here.
While I do like Jimmy Durante, and the Ted Healy & His Stooges Team are fine for viewing in small doses, for some reason, for me, this particular vehicle just kind of sat there. I may have to check out MEET THE BARON (1933) again, at some point. GOLD RAIDERS (1951), on the other hand, grabbed me right away, if that makes sense!

The TCM Archives Laurel & Hardy set is a treat to watch, even with BONNIE SCOTLAND (1935) not among my favorite Laurel & Hardy features (The Bann/Maltin commentary is informative and entertaining!). The newer reissue lacks the Feature Length ADDED ATTRACTIONS: THE HOLLYWOOD SHORTS STORY (2002), which of course, highlights The Three Stooges among many, which I am very glad to have! I also have the AIR RAID WARDENS (1943)/NOTHING BUT TROUBLE (1944) combo, which played fine last time I checked.

CHEERS!  [3stooges]

Offline Dr. Mabuse

The TCM Archives Laurel & Hardy set is a treat to watch, even with BONNIE SCOTLAND (1935) not among my favorite Laurel & Hardy features (The Bann/Maltin commentary is informative and entertaining!). The newer reissue lacks the Feature Length ADDED ATTRACTIONS: THE HOLLYWOOD SHORTS STORY (2002), which of course, highlights The Three Stooges among many, which I am very glad to have!

The 2018 reissue also consists of a "Made on Demand" DVD-R instead of two factory-pressed DVDs. Fortunately, the out-of-print TCM Archives Laurel & Hardy set is readily available on Amazon and eBay.

Offline Tony Bensley

The 2018 reissue consists of a "Manufactured on Demand" DVD-R instead of two factory-pressed DVDs. If you don't have "The Devil's Brother/Bonnie Scotland" double feature, track down the 2006 TCM Archives release.
Sorry, I thought my post made clear it was the older Laurel & Hardy TCM Archive DVD set that I already have, complete with the aforementioned "Hollywood Shorts Story" documentary (Which I have viewed several times, over the 15 years I have had it!), but I guess my wording did leave room for confusion.

CHEERS!  [3stooges]

Offline Mark The Shark

While I do like Jimmy Durante, and the Ted Healy & His Stooges Team are fine for viewing in small doses, for some reason, for me, this particular vehicle just kind of sat there. I may have to check out MEET THE BARON (1933) again, at some point. GOLD RAIDERS (1951), on the other hand, grabbed me right away, if that makes sense!

The TCM Archives Laurel & Hardy set is a treat to watch, even with BONNIE SCOTLAND (1935) not among my favorite Laurel & Hardy features (The Bann/Maltin commentary is informative and entertaining!). The newer reissue lacks the Feature Length ADDED ATTRACTIONS: THE HOLLYWOOD SHORTS STORY (2002), which of course, highlights The Three Stooges among many, which I am very glad to have! I also have the AIR RAID WARDENS (1943)/NOTHING BUT TROUBLE (1944) combo, which played fine last time I checked.

CHEERS!  [3stooges]

I played the Abbott & Costello disc recently and it was fine. This afternoon I spot-checked the Laurel & Hardy disc and it's okay too. One other thing I noticed with the new Stooges disc (to distinguish it from the original) is that it's in one of those virtue-signaling "eco-friendly" cases with a little thinner plastic with a pattern cut out of it on one side. Also, the words "DISC MADE IN MEXICO" are printed directly on the outer clear plastic (on the case itself), not on the insert.