The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

The Paleface (1922) - Buster Keaton

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Bunionhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!

http://www.busterkeaton.com/Films/B11_The_Paleface.html

Watch THE PALEFACE in the link above.

Since plenty has already been said, I'll say that I love this short.  I think it does a good job of portraying two things: (1) the way Indians really were screwed over and (2) that Indians were accepting of peaceful white men.  And he does this while picking on pidgin English too.  The falls Buster takes here are all done well, and the acting is done only in the way Buster can.  The outdoor scenery makes this short work as well as it does.

10/10 [poke] [poke] [poke] [poke] [poke] [poke] [poke] [poke] [poke] [poke]
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline Umbrella Sam

While the tribe in this is somewhat representative of stereotypes from the time, I really do give Keaton credit for making it clear from the beginning that they are the ones being wronged. Remember that this was during a time in which movie Indians were often portrayed as the villains (we even saw this in Roscoe Arbuckle's OUT WEST), so I think that it is very nice to see that Keaton was willing to look from the other side's perspective. Even though they're chasing Keaton at first, we at least can understand their mistrust of him.

As for the short itself, I think that it's really good. There are lots of really good comedic bits in there. I really like Keaton joining the war dance and later on when he tries to conduct it. It's also funny how at first it seems like Keaton is running away from the tribe, but in reality he is still trying to catch bugs. Again, a good example of Keaton's ability to play with our minds. Another moment I found really funny was when Keaton captured one of the oil company members and the man suddenly gave him his toupee. I don't really understand why he did it, but it was so unexpected that I couldn't help but laugh. Once again, we also have some very thrilling chases throughout the short.

My only real complaint with this short is the love interest, mostly because she feels very forced into it. While the love interests tended not to play that important of roles in Keaton's shorts, they at least had some sort of presence throughout. This one only appears three times in the short and in as little as possible (ironic, considering that their relationship technically lasts longer than the ones in most of Keaton's shorts). I feel that they could have avoided this altogether. Regardless, I still really like this short.

9 out of 10
“I’ll take a milkshake...with sour milk!” -Shemp (Punchy Cowpunchers, 1950)

My blog: https://talk-about-cinema.blogspot.com

Sam, the oil exec gave Buster the toupee because it was a lot better than getting scalped.  I know many on this site don't like comedy westerns, or I guess really westerns of any kind, but you gotta love this.  Not a wasted frame.

Offline metaldams

Another classic and in my opinion Keaton's most underrated short.  Absolutely love the outdoor desert location scenery as it lends the film a beautiful look that matches the great content within.  This would not be the last time Keaton would use the outdoors to his advantage of course.

Keaton's introductory scene is one of my favorites of his and never fails to get a laugh.  The Indians are upset over being screwed over their lease on their land and have every intention of killing the first white man to come through the gates.  Through all this intensity, it's of course Keaton who comes through the gate, and he is....butterfly hunting.  In a wonderfully choreographed scene the Indians stalk Keaton as Keaton stalks butterflies, and what makes this scene work, in addition to the already mentioned choreography, is Keaton being totally oblivious to the fact the Indians are out to get him, unable to read their cues and in total focus on capturing those butterflies.  A classic scene.

The rest of the short is great too, and like Big Chief states, not one wasted frame.  The toupee/scalping gag has always been a favorite of mine, the chases are wonderful, and I also love the abestos underwaer scene and how Keaton is oblivious to being burned at the stake, becoming a god in the process.  The scene on the bridge where Keaton takes a piece of the bridge and places it on an empty spot high up to avoid trouble is one of my favorite silent comedy thrill sight gags.

Another short that's an embarrassment of riches and one I wouldn't want to live without.

10/10
- Doug Sarnecky