Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

2017 MLB Thread

Offline Tony Bensley

I suspect the Cubs (Who won Game 1 in shutout fashion!) will also make quick work of the Nats because well, they're the Nats, and folding in the post season is what they do!
Well, it seems that the Nats proved me wrong, at least today, in their late innings comeback against the Cubs, whose bullpen obviously failed them huge!

We'll see what happens when this NLDS shifts to Wrigley?

CHEERS!  [pie]

Offline Tony Bensley

Speaking of folding, that's just what the Red Sox appear to be doing against the Astros, down 2-0 in the series, and 3-0 in the 1st inning of Game 3!  Quite frankly, I'm a bit shocked!  :o

CHEERS!  [pie]

Offline Tony Bensley

Speaking of folding, that's just what the Red Sox appear to be doing against the Astros, down 2-0 in the series, and 3-0 in the 1st inning of Game 3!  Quite frankly, I'm a bit shocked!  :o
OK, David Price shutting down the Astros for 4 innings in a postseason game (Huh? :o) was actually MORE shocking, and the Red Sox live to play another game!

I know it's Columbus weekend, but I'd love to read others takes on how the Division series are playing out.  :)

CHEERS!  [pie]

Offline metaldams

The Red Sox are actually playing better than I thought with today's win.  I expected them to get swept.  I'm just glad they won a game and think winning an elimination game is a good experience for the young core they have.  Don't think they'll win this year, though.

As far as David Price, he's been bad in the postseason as a starter, but in a relief role, he's been better.  As a Red Sox fan, I remember this all too well in 2008.  Price was fantastic today, definitely his greatest Red Sox moment to date.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Tony Bensley

Houston just pulled ahead of Boston in the 8th.  This might be the end of the season for Red Sox nation?

Offline Tony Bensley

Sadly, the Yankees are confirming my worst fears, leading the Indians 7-3 in the 7th.  They seem poised to tie up their ALDS.  :P

At least the Cubs managed to eke out a win today, so there's that.

CHEERS!  [pie]

Offline Shemp_Diesel

Not sure what I expected from the first round, but so far it's pretty anti-climatic. Dodgers make short work of the D-backs, Astros take out the Sawx. Maybe the only shock so far is the Yanks hanging around with Cleveland.

If the Cubs close it out today, I wouldn't shed a tear...  :laugh:
Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Offline Tony Bensley

Not sure what I expected from the first round, but so far it's pretty anti-climatic. Dodgers make short work of the D-backs, Astros take out the Sawx. Maybe the only shock so far is the Yanks hanging around with Cleveland.

If the Cubs close it out today, I wouldn't shed a tear...  :laugh:
Neither would I, but I'm afraid the Yankees may confound the so-called experts and end up winning it all, anyways!  As far as I'm concerned, the Yankees demonstrated being past mere rebuilding with last year's resigning of powerhouse closer Aroldis Chapman.  They WANT #28 THIS year!  :P

Again, I hope to be proven wrong, and that Cleveland will ultimately prevail in tomorrow's game on their home turf.  The Indians had better not be behind in the 8th inning, though!  [fucyc]

CHEERS!  [pie]

Offline Lefty

So much for Yankees vs. Red Sox, disappointing no one but the networks, but unfortunately, the Yankees are still alive and probably should have won the series already, which they probably will tomorrow night unless they can sign Joba the Hut Chamberlain to pitch for them.   :P

As for the Red Sox's elimination, they may be able to thank St. Paul native Mark Wegner, but I was hoping that it would have ended with a player thrown out at second base by 20 feet trying to stretch a single into a double, if you know what (or whom) I mean.  (And I cannot believe that the Phillies would even consider that boob to be their next manager.)

Offline Tony Bensley

As I type this, the Nats are slamming the Cubs 5-0 at Wrigley.  It appears that THIS rain induced postponement may have, indeed hurt their chances.

Hopefully, the Indians will fare better on their home turf later this evening?

CHEERS!  [pie]

EDIT:  Cleveland is down 3-0 to NY in the 5th!  Does playing at home mean nothing today? DAMN! [cry]

Offline Tony Bensley

I'm afraid the Yankees may confound the so-called experts and end up winning it all, anyways!  As far as I'm concerned, the Yankees demonstrated being past mere rebuilding with last year's resigning of powerhouse closer Aroldis Chapman.  They WANT #28 THIS year!  :P

Again, I hope to be proven wrong, and that Cleveland will ultimately prevail in tomorrow's game on their home turf.  The Indians had better not be behind in the 8th inning, though!  [fucyc]
Well, it's going into the 8th inning with the Indians behind the Yankees 3-2.  This doesn't bode well for Cleveland, I'm afraid!

I wanna be proven wrong, DAMN IT!!!!   >:(

Offline Tony Bensley

Well, tonight's heartbreaking loss for Cleveland makes it 6 consecutive closing out games they failed to win, dating back to last year's World Series!

And the same pitcher on the mound that got the save for the first of these, also closed them out in the latest Cleveland clinching loss - Aroldis Chapman!

What gets me are the voices in Social Media saying the Houston Astros winning the ALCS just got a lot easier with the undeserving Yankees getting in instead of the heavily favored Indians!  In my opinion, they just DON'T get it....yet!

CHEERS!  [pie]

Offline Shemp_Diesel

John Farrell getting fired, after the Sawx make the playoffs again? Maybe there's a story behind it...

Anyways, Astros/Yankees shouldn't be so bad, I guess...   :-\
Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Offline Tony Bensley

John Farrell getting fired, after the Sawx make the playoffs again? Maybe there's a story behind it...

Anyways, Astros/Yankees shouldn't be so bad, I guess...   :-\
Given that not that much was expected of the Red Sox this year, Farrell's firing strikes me as a bit of an overreaction on the part of management.

On the other hand, with the Indians latest choke job, who knows what the future for Terry Francona might hold?  His job might be safe for now, but who knows?

Now, can the Cubs win in Washington today?  I thought they would have made quick work of the Nats, but no!

CHEERS!  [pie]

Offline Tony Bensley

The Cubs are currently leading the Nats 6-4 in the top of the 5th, but the game has been a see-saw battle, thus far!  Kyle Hendricks is obviously not at his best, having surrendered 4 runs.

Will try and post again after the game.

CHEERS!  [pie]

Offline Tony Bensley

Well, the Cubs hung on to win 9-8, with a little help from a questionable overturning of an initially safe back at first call that went against Lodston of the Nats.  Both teams burned through most of their respective pitching staffs in a 9 inning game that lasted over 4.5 hours!

Chicago and LA are set to commence their NLCS rematch Saturday 8PM at Dodger Stadium, while NY and Houston are scheduled to play Game 1 of the ALCS tonight at 8PM, at Minute Maid Park.

CHEERS!  [pie]

Offline Tony Bensley

Regarding the NLCS, I don't have much to say other than, unlike last year, the Cubs simply had nothing left against the Dodgers after just barely squeaking by the Nationals.  It's too bad that Vin Scully no longer calls the Dodger games.

I'm hoping that Houston can hang on tonight against New York, although I suspect the Yankees will win Game 7, as the remaining available Astros starters have had zero success against them in this series.  In my opinion, for Houston to have ANY chance in a Game 7 situation against New York, they'll have to score early and score often, something that has eluded them throughout this ALCS series!

Of course, Houston has to wrap up tonight's game first!  They were leading the Yankees 3-0 at the end of 6, the last time I checked.  It's too bad that Justin Verlander can't also pitch Game 7!

CHEERS!  [pie]

Offline Tony Bensley

In the Bottom of the 5th in Game 7, Houston is leading New York 2-0, with Yankees starting pitcher CC Sabathia out of the game!

There's still a lot of game left, but so far, the Astros have given me reason to hope for a Yankee elimination.  Should New York lose, I suspect a lot of the blame will be focused on their manager's shortcomings, along with Aaron Judge's penchant for striking out a ton, although he hasn't done as much of it in the ALCS.

CHEERS!  [pie]

Offline metaldams

Thank God, the Yankees lose.  Boston losing I can take with 3 World Series in the last 14 seasons,  the Yankees winning I can't.  Have to say though, for a team some were picking to be last place to make it to game 7 of the ALCS is impressive.  They have a good young core of players and will be a thorn for several more years.  That losing team I've been waiting for for 25 years will have to wait much longer.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Tony Bensley

WOW!  Houston Astros pitching held the NY Yankees to 1 run in the last 2 games, while New York's bullpen caved! ;D

So the Astros are the first MLB Team to win Pennants in both the National and American Leagues!  It would have been real interesting if the Chicago Cubs could have repeated, as that would have also meant Houston having faced both NL and AL Chicago teams in the World Series!  Still, LA was definitely overdue for another World Series appearance.

It's Game 1 at Dodger Stadium Tuesday night!

CHEERS!  [pie]

Offline Lefty

Well, I was half-right with my prediction on who would be in the World Series.  I was waiting for the "hump-ires" to make things go the Yankees' way, but fortunately it didn't happen.  Joe Schmuck is unhappy, so that's a good thing as well.  As for the championship, Houston winning would be a feel-good story after Hurricane Harvey wrecked the city.

Now the Yankees are just as good as the Mets and the Phillies this year!    [3stooges]

Offline Tony Bensley

The bottom line was the Yankees near complete inability to score runs in Houston.  Perhaps, they just couldn't handle the Texas heat? ;)

I agree that the Astros winning the World Series would be a really nice thing for a city that has recently suffered such horrific devastation.

CHEERS!  [pie]

Offline Tony Bensley

I don't know who to pull for in the series.
I'm pulling for Houston, since they've never won before, and it would be nice to see Verlander on a Championship team while still in his prime.

That said, I don't think the Dodgers winning would upset me much, either.  I'm happy that the Yankees got taken down, so I'm good!  ;D

CHEERS! [pie]

Offline metaldams

I'm pulling for Houston, since they've never won before, and it would be nice to see Verlander on a Championship team while still in his prime.

That said, I don't think the Dodgers winning would upset me much, either.  I'm happy that the Yankees got taken down, so I'm good!  ;D

CHEERS! [pie]

Agree 100%
- Doug Sarnecky