Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Paul Pain's Stooge Short Tournament - Elite 10

Offline metaldams

• Global Moderator
  • Egghead
I wonder, are there any Keaton fan groups on websites like Facebook or Twitter? If so, maybe we could convince some of them to join this website.

I don't do Facebook or Twitter, but if any of you guys do, please feel free to advertise.  Also, it's cool to read your reviews every week, nice to see another silent comedy fan on board.

Believe it or not, in everyday life, I have never met another person, in 16 years of interest, that shared my interest in silent comedy.  Barring fan conventions, I think they barely exist.  It's been a strictly Internet thing for me.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Umbrella Sam

• Toastmaster General
  • Knothead
    • Talk About Cinema
I don't do Facebook or Twitter, but if any of you guys do, please feel free to advertise.  Also, it's cool to read your reviews every week, nice to see another silent comedy fan on board.

Believe it or not, in everyday life, I have never met another person, in 16 years of interest, that shared my interest in silent comedy.  Barring fan conventions, I think they barely exist.  It's been a strictly Internet thing for me.

Thanks. Glad to be here.  :)

Yeah, it's hard to find silent comedy fans in real life, especially ones that are my age (I'm in Paul's age group). I have a friend who is a fan of Chaplin, but I have yet to convince him to watch any of Keaton's films.

Sadly, it seems as though this generation has something against anything that's old. I just recently watched a video where they asked kids to name Looney Tunes characters and the results were depressingly low. I almost had a heart attack when a kid said that he had never heard of Looney Tunes.
“I’ll take a milkshake...with sour milk!” -Shemp (Punchy Cowpunchers, 1950)

My blog: https://talk-about-cinema.blogspot.com

Offline metaldams

• Global Moderator
  • Egghead
Thanks. Glad to be here.  :)

Yeah, it's hard to find silent comedy fans in real life, especially ones that are my age (I'm in Paul's age group). I have a friend who is a fan of Chaplin, but I have yet to convince him to watch any of Keaton's films.

Sadly, it seems as though this generation has something against anything that's old. I just recently watched a video where they asked kids to name Looney Tunes characters and the results were depressingly low. I almost had a heart attack when a kid said that he had never heard of Looney Tunes.

You're early twenties?  I had you pegged as older only because of your interest in silent comedy.  Look, I'm 38, and you don't find many people my age into this stuff, or even my parent's age.  They're in their later sixties.  The fact is contemporaries of this stuff are all dead.

Looney Tunes, though?  Man, people my age can name those characters easily.  Those cartoons were still being aired regularly in the 80's and early 90's.  I guess not today.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Muttonhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!
The Buster Keaton Appreciation Society Facebook group only has 4,966 members.  And that group has existed for over 9 years!

We are in a tiny minority (as in about 0.003% of the U.S. population, accounting for people without Facebook).
#1 fire kibitzer