Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Wheeler and Woolsey - The RKO Collection Vol. 2

Offline NoahYoung

I've seen and rather enjoyed FOOTLIGHT PARADE (1933) on TCM, along with all 3 "GOLD DIGGERS" musicals, the latter of which the Mrs. and I have on a DVD set. 42ND STREET (1933) is of course, classic!

Given that CONVENTION CITY (1933) did rather well domestically and in overseas markets, one can't help but wonder if there may be a print hiding in Europe somewhere?
https://letterboxd.com/film/convention-city/

CHECK YOUR ATTICS!!!! (At Homes and in Convention Halls!)

CHEERS! :)

I need to watch 42ND STREET again, since I was somewhat disappointed in it when I saw it about 5 years ago.  I thought GOLD DIGGERS of 1933 was much better. I saw the 1935 one and was disappointed. I don't think I saw 1937 or OF PARIS. Wiki says there were 2 prior ones -- a silent (!), and a 1929 talkie.

The caveat is that you need to like the music from that era. If you don't, you won't enjoy them.

The funniest thing about FOOTLIGHT PARADE is that we are supposed to think that they could stage those elaborate shows in movies theaters and rush across town to do it again in another theater!

Most people think of M-G-M when they think of classic musicals, and those in Technicolor, but those b&w 1930s Warner Brothers ones sure pack a wallop and are just as good!

I guess I'm an old soul, since I've always been drawn to those old b&w movies, even as a young kid.

Unlike lost films such as HATS OFF, which was lost because it was probably ignored,  something like CONVENTION CITY, which caused a stir, is probably more likely to be found.
Burt Lancaster was too short!
- The Birdman of Alcatraz

Offline Tony Bensley

I need to watch 42ND STREET again, since I was somewhat disappointed in it when I saw it about 5 years ago.  I thought GOLD DIGGERS of 1933 was much better. I saw the 1935 one and was disappointed. I don't think I saw 1937 or OF PARIS. Wiki says there were 2 prior ones -- a silent (!), and a 1929 talkie.

The caveat is that you need to like the music from that era. If you don't, you won't enjoy them.

The funniest thing about FOOTLIGHT PARADE is that we are supposed to think that they could stage those elaborate shows in movies theaters and rush across town to do it again in another theater!

Most people think of M-G-M when they think of classic musicals, and those in Technicolor, but those b&w 1930s Warner Brothers ones sure pack a wallop and are just as good!

I guess I'm an old soul, since I've always been drawn to those old b&w movies, even as a young kid.

Unlike lost films such as HATS OFF, which was lost because it was probably ignored,  something like CONVENTION CITY, which caused a stir, is probably more likely to be found.
Love GOLD DIGGERS OF 1933 and 42ND STREET. The two Gold Diggers follow ups do pale by comparison, especially the final 1937 entry. Yes, I do love the music from the 1930s and 1940s, as I do most music in general, especially if it's lively! Thus, I don't really have an issue with comedy musicals, though I do also appreciate solid comedic efforts. Are the silent and 1929 talkies even known to be extant, at this stage?

Yes, the quick moving from one theater to another complete with the entire elaborate stage setup in FOOTLIGHT PARADE (1933) is rather preposterous, but that's what makes it wonderful Hollywood escapism at its finest!

As for a print of CONVENTION CITY (1933) being more likely to be found than HATS OFF (1927), considering there was at least one known print playing in a foreign market as late as 1942, there may still be some slim chance, although this did precede Jack L. Warner's apparent call in 1943 for all remaining CC prints to be destroyed. Also, unlike HATS OFF, we do know at least SOME footage from CONVENTION CITY does exist! Of course, for a pre-code feature like CC, the dialogue is really the thing, and sadly, none of this is known to exist, at present! Thank goodness for the dialogue script!

CHEERS!  [pie]

Offline NoahYoung

Love GOLD DIGGERS OF 1933 and 42ND STREET. The two Gold Diggers follow ups do pale by comparison, especially the final 1937 entry. Yes, I do love the music from the 1930s and 1940s, as I do most music in general, especially if it's lively! Thus, I don't really have an issue with comedy musicals, though I do also appreciate solid comedic efforts. Are the silent and 1929 talkies even known to be extant, at this stage?

According to Wiki:
Gold Diggers of Broadway has been considered a partially lost film since the 1970s...

------

With no prints of The Gold Diggers located in any archive it was for decades presumed to be a lost film. In May 2021, a collector found an incomplete nitrate 35mm Belgian print in England, which has been uploaded to YouTube.[4] The surviving footage includes reels 1,4,5 and 6, although some of the extant reels have missing sections at the beginning and end of the reels. In June 2021, the same collector uploaded a digitally scanned version of the first five minutes to YouTube, with plans to scan the remaining footage.[5]

Yes, I do love the music from that era too. I have a problem with popular tastes in music from sometime in the 50s to the present, though. But that's just me. So any "later" musical that catered to that crowd I'll pass on. I have never seen GREASE, and don't plan to.

Offline Tony Bensley

According to Wiki:
Yes, I do love the music from that era too. I have a problem with popular tastes in music from sometime in the 50s to the present, though. But that's just me. So any "later" musical that catered to that crowd I'll pass on. I have never seen GREASE, and don't plan to.
We definitely do differ there. I literally grew up with the GREASE soundtrack and love all of the classic rock from the '50s into the '90s, with the original British Invasion era Rock ('63 - '66) being my wheelhouse. I guess my musical tastes are somewhat eclectic.

Do you know whether any of the Silent Era "GOLD DIGGERS" footage survives?

CHEERS!  [pie]

Offline NoahYoung

We definitely do differ there. I literally grew up with the GREASE soundtrack and love all of the classic rock from the '50s into the '90s, with the original British Invasion era Rock ('63 - '66) being my wheelhouse. I guess my musical tastes are somewhat eclectic.

Do you know whether any of the Silent Era "GOLD DIGGERS" footage survives?

CHEERS!  [pie]

Yes, different people have different tastes in music. I did listen and collect that other kind of music as a teen and into college due to peer pressure, though. I didn't want to be kicked from one end of Brooklyn to the other, like the kids who liked disco were.

Please see the second paragraph above from Wiki regarding THE GOLD DIGGERS, which was silent.

Offline NoahYoung

What happened to the attachment option???

Offline NoahYoung

The "prevue" release of SO THIS IS AFRICA was only 65 minutes. Note at the Orpheum, the film was shown at 8 pm, and the stage show started at 9:05 pm. In the article, they speculate about whether the censors will cut anything out.

So when was there a 90-minute version? Since that claim is restricted to random people making comments on IMDB, I think it's safe to say that there never was one except perhaps behind the closed doors of the studio cutting room.

As I've pointed out, I doubt the prevue version had those ham-fisted splices that we now see in online versions.

BTW, I would have loved to have seen SCANTIES!!! "16 Beautiful Girls Girls Girls"