Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Wheeler and Woolsey - The RKO Collection Vol. 2

Offline metaldams

Just released from the Warner Archive Collection, this contains four team films and two solo films.  For you guys not in the know, Wheeler and Woolsey were RKO's comedy team of the 30's.  Worth checking out, and this collection has COCKEYED CAVALIERS, which I've been dying to see for years.

Anybody interested in checking these guys out, there's also a nine movie vol. 1, some single disc one movie titles, and a double feature you can search for.  The latter has CRACKED NUTS with support from a pre FRANKENSTEIN Boris Karloff.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2020, 12:07:28 PM by metaldams »
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Tony Bensley

https://www.amazon.com/Wheeler-Woolsey-Comedy-Classics-Collection/dp/B01LTHLW8Q/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1477654283&sr=1-1&keywords=wheeler+and+woolsey+volume+2

Just released from the Warner Archive Collection, this contains four team films and two solo films.  For you guys not in the know, Wheeler and Woolsey were RKO's comedy team of the 30's.  Worth checking out, and this collection has COCKEYED CAVALIERS, which I've been dying to see for years.

Anybody interested in checking these guys out, there's also a nine movie vol. 1, some single disc one movie titles, and a double feature you can search for.  The latter has CRACKED NUTS with support from a pre FRANKENSTEIN Boris Karloff.
This is fantastic news that comes right when I have ZERO funds to spare for video purchases - DAMN!  :(

Nevertheless, I'm really glad this long delayed set has FINALLY seen light of day!  It's especially great to see COCKEYED CAVALIERS (1934) now officially on DVD!

CHEERS!  [pie]

Offline 7stooges

https://www.amazon.com/Wheeler-Woolsey-Comedy-Classics-Collection/dp/B01LTHLW8Q/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1477654283&sr=1-1&keywords=wheeler+and+woolsey+volume+2

W&W were a fine, underrated team, who starred in a mixed bag of films. To me, some of there best films include COCKEYED CAVALIERS, which is included on this volume, HIPS! HIPS! HOORAY!, the very raunchy PEACH O'RENO, and the pre-DUCK SOUP political satire DIPLOMANIACS.

I wonder if Warners intentionally saved COCKEYED CAVALIERS to carry everything else on Volume 2. The rest of the films on this volume are fair at best! Though I can't say I've seen the solo films, EVERYTHING'S ROSIE or TOO MANY CROOKS. Haven't heard too many good things about them. If memory serves, they're both remakes - EVERYTHING'S ROSIE of W. C. Fields' SALLY OF SAWDUST/POPPY and TOO MANY CROOKS of Buster Keaton's ONE WEEK.

Nevertheless, it's worth checking out for COCKEYED alone - and to complete your colleciton, of course.

Looks like all we need now is for Sony to drag out SO THIS IS AFRICA! - maybe with Bert's Columbia shorts as a bonus - and for Warners to release Bert's COWBOY QUARTERBACK. I can't remember who owns Bert's LAS VEGAS NIGHTS.

Here are the other W&W sets, all worth checking out!

(BTW, CRACKED NTUS is actually included on Volume 1, rather than the Double Feature release).

Volume 1:
https://www.amazon.com/Wheeler-Woolsey-Comedy-Classics-Collection/dp/B00BLSWWHY

RIO RITA with Bebe Daniels:
https://www.amazon.com/Rio-Rita-Bebe-Daniels/dp/B004082EEI/ref=sr_1_2?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1479748896&sr=1-2&keywords=rio+rita

PEACH O'RENO and GIRL CRAZY Double Feature:
https://www.amazon.com/Wheeler-Woolsey-Wac-Feature-Disc/dp/B004CZZZ3G/ref=pd_sim_74_2/162-2888745-9963641?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B004CZZZ3G&pd_rd_r=8CANA8BASN36XZAK6176&pd_rd_w=WhKcu&pd_rd_wg=aQGBh&psc=1&refRID=8CANA8BASN36XZAK6176

DIPLOMANIACS, with Marjorie White and Hugh Herbert:
https://www.amazon.com/Diplomaniacs-Bert-Wheeler/dp/B007549WTO/ref=sr_1_2?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1479748943&sr=1-2&keywords=wheeler+woolsey+diplomaniacs

KENTUCKY KERNELS, with Spanky McFarland and Margaret Dumont:
https://www.amazon.com/Kentucky-Kernels-Bert-Wheeler/dp/B007549VXG/ref=sr_1_2?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1479748983&sr=1-2&keywords=kentucky+kernels+wheeler+woolsey

RAINMAKERS:
https://www.amazon.com/Rainmakers-Bert-Wheeler/dp/B007549YS8/ref=sr_1_2?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1479748966&sr=1-2&keywords=rainmakers+wheeler+woolsey

ON AGAIN-OFF AGAIN:
https://www.amazon.com/Again-Off-Again-Bert-Wheeler/dp/B007549X5C/ref=sr_1_2?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1479748955&sr=1-2&keywords=wheeler+woolsey+again

Offline metaldams

You know, I finally watched COCKEYED CAVALIERS, and while it wasn't bad, it wasn't the masterpiece I was expecting. Some funny stuff, like Bert's kleptomaniac bit, and Woolsey had some good lines (the beheading line had me spit coffee on my TV screen), but the thing with these Wheeler and Woolsey films is there is so much song and dance, I prefer it add to the comedy, and it fails to do so here.  Think Bert, Bob, Dorothy Lee, and Thelma Todd in HIPS, HIPS, HOORAY!; that's song and dance with humor.  COCKEYED is good, but I am not ready to call it their best.

I agree this volume doesn't exactly scream their most heralded films other than COCKEYED CAVALIERS, though four I've yet to watch.  Overall, I do like these guys, and am finding their pre code stuff to be best.  Count me in as someone dying to see SO THIS IS AFRICA, supposedly one of their more politically incorrect films.  Columbia owns that one.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

...and by the way, Bert Wheeler, in the early 50's, made some shorts for Columbia!
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline NoahYoung

You know, I finally watched COCKEYED CAVALIERS, and while it wasn't bad, it wasn't the masterpiece I was expecting. Some funny stuff, like Bert's kleptomaniac bit, and Woolsey had some good lines (the beheading line had me spit coffee on my TV screen), but the thing with these Wheeler and Woolsey films is there is so much song and dance, I prefer it add to the comedy, and it fails to do so here.  Think Bert, Bob, Dorothy Lee, and Thelma Todd in HIPS, HIPS, HOORAY!; that's song and dance with humor.  COCKEYED is good, but I am not ready to call it their best.

I agree this volume doesn't exactly scream their most heralded films other than COCKEYED CAVALIERS, though four I've yet to watch.  Overall, I do like these guys, and am finding their pre code stuff to be best.  Count me in as someone dying to see SO THIS IS AFRICA, supposedly one of their more politically incorrect films.  Columbia owns that one.

I watched COCKEYED CAVALIERS yesterday for the first time in about 15-20 years. I think I've seen it twice before. I've only seen 3 or 4 of their movies, and this is the only one I've found worth seeing more than once.

I don't think any of their films are considered masterpieces, else said films would be more well-known. Until cable, namely AMC, I don't recall any of their films being shown on broadcast TV in my lifetime.

Any fan of comedy from that era will enjoy this film -- meaning people on this board. Can it holds it's own compared to the Stooges, Laurel and Hardy, The Marx Bros., etc.? Nope, but it is an enjoyable 70 minutes nonetheless.

I've always found it somewhat similar to FRA DIAVOLO, and I just read that RKO made it because of that film's success. What makes it somewhat similiar is that it is set several centuries earlier, and it is a musical/comedy. And it co-stars Thelma Todd. The similarities pretty much end there, though.

I've mentioned recently how much Woolsey reminds me of a cross between George Burns and Groucho Marx. I almost fell off my chair when Woolsey addressed Thelma Todd as Gracie!

Wheeler reminds me a little bit of Larry. Picture him with Larry's "hairdo". And their voices are somewhat similar -- though Wheeler's is higher-pitched.

This film could easily have been made with the Marx Bros., or the Stooges, but not Laurel and Hardy. A few Abbott and Costello movies were supposedly "remakes" of W&W films, but the only obvious one was RIO RITA. The scene at the inn in CAVALIERS, where they scheme to start a brawl to get out of paying the check, is very A&C-like, but the rest of the film, with the mistaken identities and posing as doctors, is more akin to the Stooges and brothers Marx.

Jack Norton has a very small role as -- you guessed it -- a drunk. Snub Pollard appears as well, nearly unrecognizable without his mustache from his silent shorts. They play the doctors who W&W steal clothes from to impersonate them.

Old (not Nat) King Cole (Kewpie Morgan) from BABES IN TOYLAND makes an appearance early in the film, and if you don't recognize him by sight, you will certainly recognize him by voice.

Billy Gilbert and Franklin Pangborn have very small roles. Noah Beery (brother of the more famous Wallace Beery), and Robert Grieg are also on hand, with much bigger roles.  Grieg you may recall as the butler in ANIMAL CRACKERS.

To me, the most memorable co-star in this film is Dorothy Lee, who made many pictures with W&W.  I think she was gorgeous here -- and looks like the girl-next-door that everyone dreams of, but never has. Just a cursory search on other's opinions of this film reveals that there is no way that anyone could have mistaken her for a "boy" in this film! I came away from this film thinking more about her than Thelma Todd -- that speaks volumes.  To me, Dorothy is Maryanne to Thelma's Ginger, at least in this film.

The associate producer was Lou Brock, who later had an illustrious career in MLB for the St. Louis Cardinals, and was famous for his base-stealing. He was also elected to the Hall of Fame.  [pie]

I think the song and dance is what elevates this picture to something that can be enjoyed on repeated viewings. The "Big Bad Wolf Is Dead" song is a lot of fun.

Overall, I wouldn't call CAVLIERS laugh-out-loud funny, but it is still highly recommended if you looking to see a comedy from that era that you haven't seen before.
Burt Lancaster was too short!
- The Birdman of Alcatraz

Offline Tony Bensley

I watched COCKEYED CAVALIERS yesterday for the first time in about 15-20 years. I think I've seen it twice before. I've only seen 3 or 4 of their movies, and this is the only one I've found worth seeing more than once.

I don't think any of their films are considered masterpieces, else said films would be more well-known. Until cable, namely AMC, I don't recall any of their films being shown on broadcast TV in my lifetime.

Any fan of comedy from that era will enjoy this film -- meaning people on this board. Can it holds it's own compared to the Stooges, Laurel and Hardy, The Marx Bros., etc.? Nope, but it is an enjoyable 70 minutes nonetheless.

I've always found it somewhat similar to FRA DIAVOLO, and I just read that RKO made it because of that film's success. What makes it somewhat similiar is that it is set several centuries earlier, and it is a musical/comedy. And it co-stars Thelma Todd. The similarities pretty much end there, though.

I've mentioned recently how much Woolsey reminds me of a cross between George Burns and Groucho Marx. I almost fell off my chair when Woolsey addressed Thelma Todd as Gracie!

Wheeler reminds me a little bit of Larry. Picture him with Larry's "hairdo". And their voices are somewhat similar -- though Wheeler's is higher-pitched.

This film could easily have been made with the Marx Bros., or the Stooges, but not Laurel and Hardy. A few Abbott and Costello movies were supposedly "remakes" of W&W films, but the only obvious one was RIO RITA. The scene at the inn in CAVALIERS, where they scheme to start a brawl to get out of paying the check, is very A&C-like, but the rest of the film, with the mistaken identities and posing as doctors, is more akin to the Stooges and brothers Marx.

Jack Norton has a very small role as -- you guessed it -- a drunk. Snub Pollard appears as well, nearly unrecognizable without his mustache from his silent shorts. They play the doctors who W&W steal clothes from to impersonate them.

Old (not Nat) King Cole (Kewpie Morgan) from BABES IN TOYLAND makes an appearance early in the film, and if you don't recognize him by sight, you will certainly recognize him by voice.

Billy Gilbert and Franklin Pangborn have very small roles. Noah Beery (brother of the more famous Wallace Beery), and Robert Grieg are also on hand, with much bigger roles.  Grieg you may recall as the butler in ANIMAL CRACKERS.

To me, the most memorable co-star in this film is Dorothy Lee, who made many pictures with W&W.  I think she was gorgeous here -- and looks like the girl-next-door that everyone dreams of, but never has. Just a cursory search on other's opinions of this film reveals that there is no way that anyone could have mistaken her for a "boy" in this film! I came away from this film thinking more about her than Thelma Todd -- that speaks volumes.  To me, Dorothy is Maryanne to Thelma's Ginger, at least in this film.

The associate producer was Lou Brock, who later had an illustrious career in MLB for the St. Louis Cardinals, and was famous for his base-stealing. He was also elected to the Hall of Fame.  [pie]

I think the song and dance is what elevates this picture to something that can be enjoyed on repeated viewings. The "Big Bad Wolf Is Dead" song is a lot of fun.

Overall, I wouldn't call CAVLIERS laugh-out-loud funny, but it is still highly recommended if you looking to see a comedy from that era that you haven't seen before.
Interestingly, my first viewing of COCKEYED CAVALIERS (1934) preceded FRA DIAVOLO (1933) by several years, the former being via a VHS Transfer from a late night Channel 7 showing made by my late Step-brother around 1988. I didn't see "Diavolo" until about 1997ish (Under its "The Devil's Brother" title!), when I recorded it off our then commercial free Bravo! channel. It was only when I had viewings of both fairly close together in the late '00s that their similarities finally clicked for me! Of course, Wheeler & Woolsey's pre code jokes were decidedly more risque than Laurel & Hardy's ever were! I'm thinking the stricter enforcement by the Hays Office after mid 1934 probably heralded Wheeler & Woolsey's slow decline that gained steam by Robert Woolsey's ultimately fatal illness (From kidney disease AND cerebral malaria! What an awful way to go!!).

While I have FRA DIAVOLO (Paired up with BONNIE SCOTLAND (1935)!) on the TCM Archives DVD, to this day I do not have any officially released Wheeler & Woolsey Discs, though I have seen pretty much all of their films (Including a TCM presentation of CAVALIERS, which recorded on a DVD-R in SP mode, looks a damn sight better than that late night TV print VHS transfer!) in one form or another. You can tell poor Robert Woolsey is gravely ill in HIGH FLYERS (1937). That he suffered for almost a year after the completion and release of this Wheeler & Woolsey swan song must have been so hard on him and for those who loved and cared for the man!

CHEERS! :)

Offline NoahYoung

Other W&W films I've seen:

HIGH FLYERS (maybe 30 years ago?)
HIPS HIPS HOORAY (maybe 15 years ago?)
MUMMY'S BOYS (maybe 10 years ago?)

Of those 3, I only remember enjoying HIPS. Other than the song, "Just Keep on Doing What You're Doing", I don't remember much about it.

Can anyone (e.g. Tony) provide a short list of others I should see -- that I can easily find online?

thanks

Offline NoahYoung

Count me in as someone dying to see SO THIS IS AFRICA, supposedly one of their more politically incorrect films.  Columbia owns that one.

I just watched the first minute or so. That looks like Spec O'Donnel (from a few Roach silents), and the embezzler from STAGECOACH. (Update: yup, it's them!)

Offline Tony Bensley

Other W&W films I've seen:

HIGH FLYERS (maybe 30 years ago?)
HIPS HIPS HOORAY (maybe 15 years ago?)
MUMMY'S BOYS (maybe 10 years ago?)

Of those 3, I only remember enjoying HIPS. Other than the song, "Just Keep on Doing What You're Doing", I don't remember much about it.

Can anyone (e.g. Tony) provide a short list of others I should see -- that I can easily find online?

thanks
DIPLOMANIACS  (1933) is pretty similar to HIPS HIPS HOORAY (1934), so you might find that one enjoyable. Unfortunately, free viewing of the entire film online appears to be impossible.

It occurs to me that it has probably been about a decade since I've viewed any Wheeler & Woolsey films! I should rectify that, soon!

Offline metaldams

I’m surprised I never did put two and two together, but yeah - COCKEYED CAVALIERS most likely is a response to THE DEVIL’S BROTHER.  Makes perfect sense.

My rule with Wheeler and Woolsey - the more of their time and pre code they are - the better.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline NoahYoung

I’m surprised I never did put two and two together, but yeah - COCKEYED CAVALIERS most likely is a response to THE DEVIL’S BROTHER.  Makes perfect sense.

My rule with Wheeler and Woolsey - the more of their time and pre code they are - the better.

As you can tell, I prefer to call it FRA DIAVOLO, since THE DEVIL'S BROTHER is a literal translation from Italian to English, and makes no sense. (There's no devil in it -- and his brother isn't in it either! And what's the deal with Grape Nuts? I bought it, opened the box -- there were no grapes, and no nuts! What's going on here?)

Offline NoahYoung

DIPLOMANIACS  (1933) is pretty similar to HIPS HIPS HOORAY (1934), so you might find that one enjoyable. Unfortunately, free viewing of the entire film online appears to be impossible.

It occurs to me that it has probably been about a decade since I've viewed any Wheeler & Woolsey films! I should rectify that, soon!

https://archive.org/details/1933_20230914/Diplomaniacs+(1933).mp4

Offline NoahYoung

I didn't see "Diavolo" until about 1997ish (Under its "The Devil's Brother" title!), when I recorded it off our then commercial free Bravo! channel

MGM/TURNER/WARNER made it unnecessariliy difficult to see FRA DIAVOLO on TV or Home Video for many years until it was released on VHS (and perhaps laserdisc) in 1992. I believe it was shown on some premium cable channels before that (Cinemax?). I first saw it complete on some unknown-to-me PBS channel (via cable) in the late 80s. Before that, I had only seen a few of the Governor-TV cutdowns from it in the early 70s.

I'm curious if anyone remembers seeing any W&W films shown on broadcast TV before cable became ubiquitous. There should be some C&C 16mm TV prints. (C&C Cola had a TV distribution arm, and they supplied many RKO classics to TV stations.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C%26C_Group

C&C Television Corporation

In America the company saw a chance to challenge soft-drink giants Coca-Cola and Pepsi-Cola with its own C&C Cola. An elaborate marketing scheme was launched in 1955, in connection with the television revival of theatrical motion pictures produced by RKO Radio Pictures. In December 1955 film executive Matty Fox arranged the $15,200,000 purchase of the RKO film backlog from studio owner General Teleradio.[11] C&C paid $12,200,000 immediately, with the remaining $3,000,000 to be paid within three years. C&C's broadcast activity became C&C Television Corporation, with Fox as president and Erwin H. Ezzes as vice president and general sales manager; Fox and Ezzes had been executives at Motion Pictures for Television, a major syndicator of the early 1950s.[12] Fox invited 250 TV-station managers to Atlantic City, New Jersey, at his expense, to be his guests at a giant tradeshow. At this sales convention, Fox formally announced the availability of the C&C film library, and invited station representatives to sign contracts for their local markets.[13]

C&C Television reprinted the entire RKO library dating back to 1929, comprising 740 feature films and 924 short subjects, for nationwide syndication in the United States. All of the features now began with a "C&C Movietime" title card, and TV stations showing the films would interrupt the telecasts for commercial mentions of C&C Cola. Although the broadcast rights to the RKO library now belong to WarnerMedia, licenses to the C&C prints were granted in perpetuity. Stations that bought 16mm prints of the C&C films in the 1950s continue to show them today.

WOR in NYC (Channel 9) seemed to be the only channel that showed RKO movies (at least back in the 70s), and I rarely watched (except for KING KONG) since we got lousy reception of that channel. I don't remember any W&W films being listed in TV GUIDE -- and I would have noticed since Jim Mulholland's THE ABBOTT AND COSTELLO BOOK that came out in the mid-70s made numerous mention of W&W.

Offline NoahYoung

The Internet Archive to the rescue! Cool!!

There's a W&W vid there that doesn't list titles, but it's 8 hours of W&W films recorded during a TCM W&W marathon!
https://archive.org/details/wheeler-and-woolsey

Plus, another way to view SO THIS IS AFRICA.
https://archive.org/details/so-this-is-africa-1933-

I'm not sure if there is stuff on the Internet archive not on the W&W DVDs. So now I have to carve out some time to watch them.

For that marathon, I found after the first flick, HOOK, LINE, AND SINKER, the TCM bumper for some of the rest of the movies:
CAUGHT PLASTERED (1931)
GIRL CRAZY (1932) (Later remade with Mickey Rooney and Judy Garland)
PEACH O'RENO (1931)

There's a Fatty Arbuckle talkie in between 2 films, BUZZIN' AROUND, which I've seen before and is great! There could be some other shorts in there too.

I zipped thru it and found another bumper, and COCKEYED CAVALIERS (1934) is there, too.
Also, THE NITWITS (1935)

Seems to be it except maybe some more shorts by others.

Archive also has:

HALF SHOT AT SUNRISE (actually several copies)
DIXIANA
HOOK LINE AND SINKER (as a separate video -- actually several copies.)

-------------------------

It's interesting that Leonard Maltin makes no mention of W&W in his book, THE GREAT MOVIE COMEDIANS. Maybe because he didn't consider them "great." :o

What strikes me is that most of their films were made for RKO, one of the major studios in the 30s. They obviously had great co-stars as well. They seem to have had a high budget. The running times could be short though, so I wonder if they were considered "A" pictures. And the only reason they stopped making them was because Woolsey died.

I really need to see some of those others to figure out how "good" or "bad they might have been, because as I've mentioned, MUMMY'S BOYS was horrible!

http://pre-code.com/famous-pre-code-actors/bert-wheeler-robert-woolsey/

They became a box office bonanza for RKO, crafting a series that often pushed the boundaries of taste and logic. Woolsey was often the huckster, his big cigar and waggling eyebrows wafting him into the direction of a gigantic but adoring woman. Wheeler was a bit more conventional, but specialized in a special line of willful innocence that sometimes went to extremes; his specialty was singing and eating at the same time.

The duo’s risque comedy was popular in the Pre-Code era, with films like Peach-O-Reno and Hips Hips Hooray featuring plenty of skin and double entendres. Their Diplomaniacs ranks with Duck Soup as one of the great political satires of the time, while So This is Africa may be one of the most nonsensical things assembled for the screen up to that point. Many of their films co-starred Dorothy Lee as a love interest, and their best often have Thelma Todd among the cast.

While they were RKO’s big money makers
, they were never given consistent material. Their solo efforts in the early 30s– the studio’s attempt to make even more money off the both of them– flopped with mediocre scripts. With the enforcement of the Production Code in 1934, their vehicles moved away from witty material and more ‘wholesome’ family comedy for their fans in the sticks. The quality of their output dwindled, and Woolsey’s death in 1938 ended their run.

Because the PCA wouldn’t allow re-releases of their best films, they became obscure and left off of television where many other 30s comedy teams were re-discovered. Bert Wheeler passed in 1968, and the duo finally started gaining fans again with the advent of VHS in the 1980s. While a few titles remain obscure, much of their oeuvre is on DVD and ready to explore.

But, seriously, avoid everything after 1934.

I guess they were "A" pictures. It's not clear if they weren't shown on TV at all in the 50s, 60s, and 70s, or just their pre-code stuff wasn't shown. I thought I once saw a C&C print of one of their films on eBay, but I could be wrong. I have COCKEYED CAVALIERS in Super 8, with RKO titles, but that was released by Blackhawk in the late 70s -- so it wasn't a C&C TV print. Blackhawk also released HIPS, HIPS, HOORAY around the same time. I assume they picked those 2 because they were their 2 best films, but that is just conjecture.

Offline NoahYoung

I just watched SO THIS IS AFRICA. It's a must see. Perhaps even better than COCKEYED CAVALIERS, since it is more eye-popping.

I won't do a full review yet, but I'll make some more comments.

I watched one of the copies on archive.org. I assume they're all the same, including on YT. Wiki says it has been shown on TCM, so I assume this is where it is from. Wiki also said Columbia had to cut stuff out before release, but that statement is flagged "citation needed," so take it with a grain of salt. And this was pre-code.

The Motion Picture Division of the Education Board of New York State felt that several lines of dialogue and other sequences in this film were inappropriate. As a result, Columbia Pictures was forced to delete sections of So This Is Africa prior to its release.

There are many splices in the print used, resulting in some jump cuts that seem to remove dialog. I think Columbia would have released a more elegantly censored print to the theaters back in 1933, so it might have been cut up for TV (if it was ever shown -- and since it was not RKO, it was not part of the C&C package.) Perhaps all that survives is this battered print with random splices due to physical damage. There are still a lot of visuals that would have raised eyebrows in 1933, which supports my theory that it's an uncensored print. And Raquel Torres is gorgeous. I had only seen her in DUCK SOUP prior to viewing this film. And did I mention that she was gorgeous. (I was surprised to see that she lived until 1987!)

IMDB has a lot of comments that claims it was cut from 90 to 65 minutes by the censors, but I'm not sure how accurate those comments are. (So apparently "pre-code" does not equal "uncensored," but I already had some idea about that. But it's easy to think it does mean "uncensored.") They mention the rough cuts and splices that I mention.

Esther Muir, who I know from A DAY AT THE RACES, looks a lot like Kim Cattral here. And she lived until 1995, and was gorgeous as well -- especially in her loin-cloth. And did I mention that Raquel Torres was gorgeous, too, especially in her loin-cloth, which she wears throughout the picture.

Tha "amazon" women are easy on the eyes, too, especially since they are wearing loin-cloths, like Raquel Torres does, who is gorgeous, BTW.

So we have 2 actresses here who also appeared with the Marx Bros. And both look gorgeous in this movie. Raquel Torres looks a bit like Barbara Carrera, who is also gorgeous. (Carrera appeared in a few movies not even wearing a loin-cloth!)

So if you are a fan of women wearing loin-cloths, this film is for you! (W&W even wear loin-clothes toward the end of the movie.)

I didn't think I'd like this movie after the first 10 minutes or so, but it picks up steam rather quickly after that. About a minute before the end, you'll think to yourself "how did this even get by the pre-code censors?", but then in the last few seconds, you let out your breath and realize why.

I can see the influence on future comedies here, particularly the Hope/Crosby "road" pictures.  Abbott and Costello's PARDON MY SARONG and AFRICA SCREAMS seem a bit inspired by it as well. I also see a similarity to Charley Chase's NATURE IN THE WRONG, released the same year, but both films were clearly influenced by the Tarzan movies with Johnny Weismuller and Maureen O'Sullivan (who usually wore loin-cloths in those films.)

Columbia did release a 20-minute "digest" of this in Super 8, but I don't recall ever seeing it listed on ebay in the last 25 years. I will keep my eyes peeled for one -- and I'm curious if some of the "censored" scenes are "uncensored."

So my "few comments" actually became a somewhat long "review," but there is a lot more I can say about it going forward. In short, this is a hidden gem.

Offline Tony Bensley

I just watched SO THIS IS AFRICA. It's a must see. Perhaps even better than COCKEYED CAVALIERS, since it is more eye-popping.

I won't do a full review yet, but I'll make some more comments.

I watched one of the copies on archive.org. I assume they're all the same, including on YT. Wiki says it has been shown on TCM, so I assume this is where it is from. Wiki also said Columbia had to cut stuff out before release, but that statement is flagged "citation needed," so take it with a grain of salt. And this was pre-code.

There are many splices in the print used, resulting in some jump cuts that seem to remove dialog. I think Columbia would have released a more elegantly censored print to the theaters back in 1933, so it might have been cut up for TV (if it was ever shown -- and since it was not RKO, it was not part of the C&C package.) Perhaps all that survives is this battered print with random splices due to physical damage. There are still a lot of visuals that would have raised eyebrows in 1933, which supports my theory that it's an uncensored print. And Raquel Torres is gorgeous. I had only seen her in DUCK SOUP prior to viewing this film. And did I mention that she was gorgeous. (I was surprised to see that she lived until 1987!)

IMDB has a lot of comments that claims it was cut from 90 to 65 minutes by the censors, but I'm not sure how accurate those comments are. (So apparently "pre-code" does not equal "uncensored," but I already had some idea about that. But it's easy to think it does mean "uncensored.") They mention the rough cuts and splices that I mention.

Esther Muir, who I know from A DAY AT THE RACES, looks a lot like Kim Cattral here. And she lived until 1995, and was gorgeous as well -- especially in her loin-cloth. And did I mention that Raquel Torres was gorgeous, too, especially in her loin-cloth, which she wears throughout the picture.

Tha "amazon" women are easy on the eyes, too, especially since they are wearing loin-cloths, like Raquel Torres does, who is gorgeous, BTW.

So we have 2 actresses here who also appeared with the Marx Bros. And both look gorgeous in this movie. Raquel Torres looks a bit like Barbara Carrera, who is also gorgeous. (Carrera appeared in a few movies not even wearing a loin-cloth!)

So if you are a fan of women wearing loin-cloths, this film is for you! (W&W even wear loin-clothes toward the end of the movie.)

I didn't think I'd like this movie after the first 10 minutes or so, but it picks up steam rather quickly after that. About a minute before the end, you'll think to yourself "how did this even get by the pre-code censors?", but then in the last few seconds, you let out your breath and realize why.

I can see the influence on future comedies here, particularly the Hope/Crosby "road" pictures.  Abbott and Costello's PARDON MY SARONG and AFRICA SCREAMS seem a bit inspired by it as well. I also see a similarity to Charley Chase's NATURE IN THE WRONG, released the same year, but both films were clearly influenced by the Tarzan movies with Johnny Weismuller and Maureen O'Sullivan (who usually wore loin-cloths in those films.)

Columbia did release a 20-minute "digest" of this in Super 8, but I don't recall ever seeing it listed on ebay in the last 25 years. I will keep my eyes peeled for one -- and I'm curious if some of the "censored" scenes are "uncensored."

So my "few comments" actually became a somewhat long "review," but there is a lot more I can say about it going forward. In short, this is a hidden gem.
"Hidden gem" is exactly how I remember describing SO THIS IS AFRICA (1933) after my first viewing! Yes, it is a bit slow for the first reel or so.

Interesting take regarding whether any so called post release footage was ever actually censored out, to begin with! In any event, we should be thankful it didn't meet the fate of CONVENTION CITY (1933), which was reputedly so trashy the Warner Brothers head Jack L. Warner ordered every print be destroyed, and evidently succeeded, as no print of it has ever surfaced!

CHEERS!  [pie]

Offline Freddie Sanborn

But Noah, were any loin-cloths on view?
“If it’s not comedy, I fall asleep.” Harpo Marx

Offline NoahYoung

But Noah, were any loin-cloths on view?

I don't remember. I'll watch it again and let you know.

Offline NoahYoung

In any event, we should be thankful it didn't meet the fate of CONVENTION CITY (1933), which was reputedly so trashy the Warner Brothers head Jack L. Warner ordered every print be destroyed, and evidently succeeded, as no print of it has ever surfaced!

CHEERS!  [pie]

I had never heard of that movie -- but sounds enticing. Joan Blondell certainly was a hot ticket judging from those Busbey Berkley musicals I've seen!

Offline Tony Bensley

I had never heard of that movie -- but sounds enticing. Joan Blondell certainly was a hot ticket judging from those Busbey Berkley musicals I've seen!
I hadn't either, until I heard Richard W. Bann's commentary for SONS OF THE DESERT (1933) on The Essential Collection DVD set.

I've found a couple of clips on YouTube that contain existing footage (None with any dialogue, sadly!) and some interesting facts regarding CONVENTION CITY (1933). Apparently, at least one print existed into the 1940s (With a decomposing negative of CC destroyed in late 1948, along with some other decomposing WB Titles), and the story of Jack L. Warner ordering every print be destroyed might not be quite accurate.

Click on the link below to see the Convention City trailer (Basically the Film's opening credits with background music!), and an approximately 10 minute clip from 2022:
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=convention+city+1933

CHEERS!  [pie]

Offline NoahYoung

A film I never knew existed until a day ago, that now I'm dying to see, but can't!

:-*

Offline NoahYoung

The next best thing is probably those other Warner musicals with Dick Powell. GOLD DIGGERS OF 1933 is highly recommended, especially if you want to see a scantily clad Ginger Rodgers. Joan Blondell is in it too. They made a few sequels, but this one was the best.

From  Wiki:
According to Sin in Soft Focus: Pre-Code Hollywood by Mark A. Vieira, Gold Diggers of 1933 was one of the first American films made and distributed with alternative footage in order to circumvent state censorship problems. Busby Berkeley, the choreographer and director of the musical numbers, used the lavish production numbers as a showcase of the female anatomy that were both "lyrical and lewd".[20] "Pettin' in the Park" and "We're in the Money" are prime examples of this. The state censorship boards had become so troublesome that a number of studios began filming slightly different versions of censorable scenes. In this way, when a film was edited, the "toned down" reels were labeled according to district. One version could be sent to New York City, another to the South, and another to the United Kingdom.

I've seen it on TCM, so not sure what version it was.

FOOTLIGHT PARADE is also good, which also stars James Cagney. I've only seen the digest (about 35 minutes) released by Derann Films in Super 8, though, which focuses strictly on the musical numbers.

Offline Tony Bensley

The next best thing is probably those other Warner musicals with Dick Powell. GOLD DIGGERS OF 1933 is highly recommended, especially if you want to see a scantily clad Ginger Rodgers. Joan Blondell is in it too. They made a few sequels, but this one was the best.

From  Wiki:
I've seen it on TCM, so not sure what version it was.

FOOTLIGHT PARADE is also good, which also stars James Cagney. I've only seen the digest (about 35 minutes) released by Derann Films in Super 8, though, which focuses strictly on the musical numbers.
I've seen and rather enjoyed FOOTLIGHT PARADE (1933) on TCM, along with all 3 "GOLD DIGGERS" musicals, the latter of which the Mrs. and I have on a DVD set. 42ND STREET (1933) is of course, classic!

Given that CONVENTION CITY (1933) did rather well domestically and in overseas markets, one can't help but wonder if there may be a print hiding in Europe somewhere?
https://letterboxd.com/film/convention-city/

CHECK YOUR ATTICS!!!! (At Homes and in Convention Halls!)