Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Hoofs and Goofs (1957)

metaldams · 36 · 15287

Offline Woe-ee-Woe-Woe80

A very mediocre Stooge short that I was never fond of, fortunately most of the Joe Besser shorts would get better after this one, I do admit I do find most of the Joe Besser shorts to be a huge breath of fresh air compared to the late Shemp rehash shorts and the fake Shemp shorts, sadly this stooge short isn't one of them, I rank this as one of my least favorite Besser shorts, I do like the moments where Moe was pretending to neigh like a horse and Larry telling Moe to ask him nice followed by a slap.

Overall I give this short a 3/10, at least it's not as bad as "Horsing Around", "Sweet And Hot", "Triple Crossed" and "Sappy Bullfighters", luckily the next three Besser shorts released after this would be a lot better.

Offline Tony Bensley

I have to take the word of you better-informed viewers that Joe Besser was good in something. I only know him from Stooge shorts like this one that he so foully stank up. Moe, Larry, Curly, and Shemp may have been frequently immature in their behavior, but it was the immaturity of rowdy boys, not of whiny little sissies.

The only observation that I have to add about this short is that it is amusing to see that when Tony, the Wonder Horse is in profile, somebody is always standing just forward of the hind legs, to maintain the illusion that "Birdie" is a mare.

I thought she sounded like Christine McIntyre. In any case, not a plausible she-Stooge voice.
Having Joe Besser as a third stooge is a bit like the extremely nerdy Eugene replacing Kenickie or Doody in GREASE (1978), had that bizarre scenario ever taken place.  Come to think of it, some of their antics with Putzie in that film were compared to The Three Stooges at the time, as I recall! 

The concealment of Tony's "manhood" was, no doubt, also necessary to satisfy the Board of Censors, which was still in force (Albeit, probably in a somewhat watered down state by 1956-57!) at the time.

I really didn't pick up on who might have voiced Birdie.  As Christine McIntyre had completely retired from film and TV work by the time HOOFS AND GOOFS was made, I'd say it's safe to rule her out as a possibility for having provided Birdie's voice.

I agree that Moe's not being able to retaliate for Joe's sissified fisticuffs was a rather jarring moment, not to mention Joe's sissified fisticuffs themselves, which I've seen play far better in other comedic situations, such as those with Lou Costello. 

Audio looping seemed to be more common in the shorts by this time.  In this short, I noticed an instance in which Larry's voice can be heard, even though Larry's lips don't move one iota!  It's a rather painfully easy spot, at that!

I do agree that Moe's bit with Benny Rubin was pretty much HOOFS AND GOOFS' highlight!  This short gets 4/10 from me.

CHEERS!  [3stooges]

« Last Edit: July 26, 2021, 03:26:17 PM by Tony Bensley »

One of the best things about Stinky's interactions with Costello is that they really whammed on each other.  The overreactions to the punches and pinches were exaggerated, of course, but there was none of the itty-bitty poking that Joe practiced on Moe.  If Joe had done the heavy hitting on the other two stooges that Stinky had done on Costello, and even maybe ramped it up to an even more out-of-control, stooge-world level than in A & C, then we might have had something.

And Hey, am I wrong or have I just been promoted to Numbskull?

Offline Umbrella Sam

One of the best things about Stinky's interactions with Costello is that they really whammed on each other.  The overreactions to the punches and pinches were exaggerated, of course, but there was none of the itty-bitty poking that Joe practiced on Moe.  If Joe had done the heavy hitting on the other two stooges that Stinky had done on Costello, and even maybe ramped it up to an even more out-of-control, stooge-world level than in A & C, then we might have had something.

Another thing I’ve always wondered is if the Stooges during this period would have been better if there was more self-referential humor towards Besser’s annoyances. AFRICA SCREAMS, in addition to giving Besser funny material to work with, also has self-referential humor at Besser’s expense. Costello imitates Besser a couple times throughout the film and there’s a moment in particular that I really like between Shemp and Joe. When they first arrive in Africa, Shemp has to tie the boat to the dock, but because he’s nearsighted he accidentally ties it to Besser’s leg. Besser understandably gets mad about this and yells at him. When Besser leaves, Shemp mutters, “Always complainin’.” I feel like more moments like this from Moe and Larry may have made the Besser era more tolerable at least.
“I’ll take a milkshake...with sour milk!” -Shemp (Punchy Cowpunchers, 1950)

My blog: https://talk-about-cinema.blogspot.com

Offline Larrys#1

Joe took plenty of hits in the later shorts, and I assume that was because he was getting more comfortable with the role. Having said that, Joe Besser completely lacked chemistry with Moe & Larry and that's why he just didn't fit in. He's a funny guy, but just didn't work well with Moe and Larry. Shemp and Curly instantly had the chemistry and I suspect that was mainly because they were brothers with Moe and were automatically comfortable working with him. But back to your point.... Joe had the chemistry with Costello and that's why he was funny in the A&C Show. So I guess Joe just never clicked with Moe and Larry for some strange reason.

Offline Daddy Dewdrop

Coming in at #177 on my countdown we have one of the most maligned shorts in the Stooges filmography.  Yes, I'm talking "Hoofs And Goofs."  A couple of reasons that I don't mind this one and the so-called sequel, "Horsing Around" (which I actually rank much higher).  Firstly, these horse episodes were the very first Besser's that I saw back in the early 1980s.  Prior to seeing them, I had no idea they even made any shorts without Curly or Shemp.  Also, I've always been a sucker for talking animals.  Yep, the Francis movies, Mr. Ed, Planet Of The Apes, the SCTV Godfather parody, you name it, I probably like it.  Even Moe in drag at the end makes me chuckle.  Overall, it's still on the lower end of the scale, but I enjoy it way more than most.

#177. Hoofs And Goofs

Offline Curly Q Link

I like this one, mostly for the talking horse.

I like the reincarnation premise. Reminds me of the ending in Laurel and Hardy's The Flying Deuces.

Joe isn't my favorite 3rd Stooge, but he has his moments. I would rather have Joe than no Three Stooges at all.

So stop complaining you knuckleheads. Just kidding, complain all you want.

Moe hired Joe, so take it up with him.  Or take it up with the horse.   [pie]

6.5 out of 10.

Offline O.U. Gonga

In 1970, The Beatles released “Let It Be.” The liner notes on the back of the album proclaimed it a “new Phase Beatles album.”
In 1957, Columbia released “Hoofs and Goofs,” which could be considered a “New Phase Stooges comedy.” The slapstick is kept to a minimum. The feel of the Besser Era is one of a typical late-50s situation comedy. (As I child, I thought these mid-late 50s Stooge films were produced for television.)
At least with the Besser Era, I can relax and watch “Hoofs and Goofs” with my wife present - something I can’t necessarily do with the earlier films. It’s almost like a guilty pleasure, hiding the earlier films away from your significant other like a stack of Playboys.
There are worse Besser Era films than this. 6/10

Offline metaldams

In 1970, The Beatles released “Let It Be.” The liner notes on the back of the album proclaimed it a “new Phase Beatles album.”
In 1957, Columbia released “Hoofs and Goofs,” which could be considered a “New Phase Stooges comedy.” The slapstick is kept to a minimum. The feel of the Besser Era is one of a typical late-50s situation comedy. (As I child, I thought these mid-late 50s Stooge films were produced for television.)
At least with the Besser Era, I can relax and watch “Hoofs and Goofs” with my wife present - something I can’t necessarily do with the earlier films. It’s almost like a guilty pleasure, hiding the earlier films away from your significant other like a stack of Playboys.
There are worse Besser Era films than this. 6/10

Funny, my ex actually looked at my old Playboys from my college days but abhorred The Three Stooges and classic comedy with a passion.  Perhaps there’s good reason why some things don’t work out.  [pie]

I can see what you mean about the 50’s television thing.  A lot of the 50’s Stooge shorts that weren’t stock footage jobs, even the Shemps, had a very contemporary at the time domestic feel.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Count Jerome “Curley” von Gehrol

• Generalissimo of the Televania Republican Armed Forces
  • Grapehead
  • I am the dimwitted brother of Count Alfred Gherol.
In case the shorts on YouTube get removed, you can go here to watch them. This guy on Internet Archive has all 190 shorts from Woman Haters to Sappy Bull Fighters.

https://archive.org/details/175HoofsAndGoofs and his personal channel: https://archive.org/search?query=creator%3A%223+stooges+maniac%22&sort=title  [3stooges]
Miss Arvin, may I present to you Admiral Taylor, Commander Button, and Captain Presser.