Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Account suspended?

When I try to get to ThreeStooges.net I get a message saying "this account has been suspended." What's going on?
"Give me a smart idiot over a stupid genius any day." -- Samuel Goldwyn

The people who have your best interests at heart...
...are generally not the ones telling you whatever you want to hear.

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Muttonhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!
^I wish I knew myself.  I'm guessing the bills didn't get paid, as this happened two years ago as well.  It's not if it will come back, but when because Dunrobin will take care of this as soon as he knows.
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
Hi Guys - sorry for the delay in updating, but my work keeps me busy these days.

@Paul Pain: Nope, it's not the bills (and never has been.)  Previous shutdowns have been for programming issues on the site that led to it being too much of a drain on the server that hosts the site.  That's the reason the forum is now on moronika.com; I had to separate it from threestooges.net because having the forum integrated into the site was causing the problem.

Nope, this time it was because we got hacked at some point. (Something that has also happened a couple of times over the 19 years the site has been around.)  The hackers were sneakier this time, and didn't touch the site's scripts at all, so it appeared to be normal.  But the assholes uploaded a bunch of folders, stashed inconspicuously, and scripts and were apparently piggy-backing an email spammer on the site.  I don't know for sure how long the files and folders were in there, but their activity caught the attention of the hosting company's tech support and they immediately suspended the account.

I've deleted all of the folders and files that the hackers uploaded, and of course I reset and strengthened the domain's password.  Now we're just waiting on tech support to verify that the domain is now clean and re-enable the site.  Unfortunately the tech support doesn't seem to be as good these days and they can be infuriatingly slow to respond, so I can't guess how much longer threestooges.net will be down.

H/T to BeAStooge for alerting me to the account suspension last night.

Offline Paul Pain

• Muttonhead
I stand corrected.  Thanks for all you do!
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
Hi Everybody!  A quick update on the status of ThreeStooges.net:

As I said in my last post, some assholes hacked into the site at some point and uploaded a bunch of files that allowed them to piggy-back some kind of email scam on the server.  I was able to identify and delete all of the hacker's folders and files (having a complete unique site helps, since they stood out like sore thumbs to me once I knew to look for them.  I know my own code and folder structure.  lol)

The biggest headache of all this is the primary hosting company's tech support.  They are apparently being made to use a new support ticket system which hasn't been integrated with the old system and which won't send out the email notifications that should be getting sent.  Basically they've gotten too big for their britches and now some idiot new IT manager has to screw things up by "updating" something that was working fine without making damn sure everything was properly integrated first.

Anyway, we've confirmed to them that all of the offending files are gone, and the site is supposed to get a review and then re-activated if everything checks.  The only question now is how long is that going to take.  They've know for about 5 hours so far, and the account is still suspended, so your guess is as good as mine.  Hopefully sometime this evening, from what we've seen this weekend it could still be a day or two.

Everything is intact (the hacker's never touched the site's files, which is why I hadn't noticed them,) and the database doesn't seem to have been hacked, so once the site clears tech support it should just reappear.

I do need to get back to work on the site this summer (Brent will be glad to hear that.)  I need to finish converting the admin code so I can eliminate pretty much all the scripts on the public side of the server.  Then I can lock that down even tighter to keep the assholes out.  [sigh]  This is the kind of crap that helped me loose interest in the site over the past few years; I get tired of fighting the jerks who think they have a right to screw with other people's work.  It made it easier to just set everything aside as I dealt with other issues in my life.  But since there are obviously still a few loopholes that jackasses can use to their advantage, I'd better get back to work, I guess.  Maybe I can figure out how to make the site more "mobile friendly" too.  ;)

Offline archiezappa

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
THREESTOOGES.NET IS LIVE AGAIN!

Finally, after numerous support tickets and spending an hour on the phone with the hosting company's tech support, the site is live again.  We will be looking for a new hosting company in the future.  This current outfit used to be good, but these days their customer service just completely sucks.

I'm not mad that they suspended the account - someone was hijacking the domain to run an email scam - but I found the issue and fixed it as soon as I was aware of the problem, and the hosting company was notified the following morning that the issue was fixed.  We submitted several tech support tickets trying to get this resolved, and all of them were ignored. One service rep actually told my brother that they have a new ticket system, but it isn't integrated with the old system, and neither system is sending out the email notices that they should be sending. So that's it, we're done with this company and will be finding a better outfit as quickly as possible.

Offline GreenCanaries

• President of the Johnny Kascier Fan Club
  • Birdbrain
THREESTOOGES.NET IS LIVE AGAIN!

Finally, after numerous support tickets and spending an hour on the phone with the hosting company's tech support, the site is live again.  We will be looking for a new hosting company in the future.  This current outfit used to be good, but these days their customer service just completely sucks.

I'm not mad that they suspended the account - someone was hijacking the domain to run an email scam - but I found the issue and fixed it as soon as I was aware of the problem, and the hosting company was notified the following morning that the issue was fixed.  We submitted several tech support tickets trying to get this resolved, and all of them were ignored. One service rep actually told my brother that they have a new ticket system, but it isn't integrated with the old system, and neither system is sending out the email notices that they should be sending. So that's it, we're done with this company and will be finding a better outfit as quickly as possible.

Huzzah! The best of luck with your "host-hunting" adventure!
"With oranges, it's much harder..."

Offline Kopfy2013

Offline metaldams

Thanks for everything, Rob.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Paul Pain

• Muttonhead