Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Goof on the Roof (1953)

metaldams · 35 · 12110

Offline vomit

"Goof on the Roof" is a gem.  A Shemp classic.  I love this one.  The total and absolute devastation of there friends apartment.  Shemp #1!

Offline elmer2flp

Dear Stooge-ophiles:

I need help remembering which short had Moe complaining of a "twitch" in his hand. I think there was painting (or hammering, or something like that) involved. I think Moe painted someones face (or hit them with hammer), then uttered the immortal line to the effect:  "SORRY KID, IT WAS THAT OLD TWITCH AGAIN! Please help me identify the short with this gag. I can not find it by searching the transcripts.

Offline Daddy Dewdrop

This is a pretty average Shemp effort, IMO.  Although you can count me in as a big fan of the falling dummies!

#105. Goof On The Roof

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Muttonhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!
I present a mystery for my fellow Stoogephiles upon a rewatching.

Shemp gets mad at the soap and throws it.  Naturally, the soap knocks out Moe's cheese, and Moe inadvertently eats a soap sandwich (with delicious vinegar to drink).  We get no follow-up beyond this though.  Are there known cuts to this film that would have resolved this bit.

I watched the part where the dummy falls on Moe and Larry 5 times.  What's most hilarious of is that the Larry and Moe dummies (doubles; maybe actually Moe and Larry even) look like Larry and Moe, and the Shemp dummy more closely resembles Eddie Quillan.
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline metaldams

I present a mystery for my fellow Stoogephiles upon a rewatching.

Shemp gets mad at the soap and throws it.  Naturally, the soap knocks out Moe's cheese, and Moe inadvertently eats a soap sandwich (with delicious vinegar to drink).  We get no follow-up beyond this though.  Are there known cuts to this film that would have resolved this bit.

I watched the part where the dummy falls on Moe and Larry 5 times.  What's most hilarious of is that the Larry and Moe dummies (doubles; maybe actually Moe and Larry even) look like Larry and Moe, and the Shemp dummy more closely resembles Eddie Quillan.

Moe actually does eat the sandwich and we get a “Yummy, yummy” out of him.  I think the joke is Moe can’t tell the difference between eating soap and cheese.  Thanks for giving me an excuse to rewatch this one.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

As far as the dummies, here’s a perfect look at Shemp’s dummy and it’s definitely the real Moe and Larry in that shot.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Tony Bensley

As far as the dummies, here’s a perfect look at Shemp’s dummy and it’s definitely the real Moe and Larry in that shot.

WOW! That dummy is not even close to looking anything like Shemp!!  [pie]

Thank you for posting!  :)

CHEERS!  [3stooges]

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Muttonhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!

I couldn't get good enough quality on my screen.  Here it's obvious.  Thanks for providing this.
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline QuinceHead

WOW! That dummy is not even close to looking anything like Shemp!!  [pie]

Thank you for posting!  :)

CHEERS!  [3stooges]

So there was precedent when casting Joe Palma became a necessity, then!

Offline Tony Bensley

So there was precedent when casting Joe Palma became a necessity, then!
Yup. A dummy wasn't going to [quite] cut it!  [3stooges]