Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Who should have replaced Shemp?

metaldams · 44 · 11809

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Muttonhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!
For those wondering, here is what Big Chief is likely referencing http://blog.wfmu.org/freeform/2011/01/king-of-slobs.html

Get popcorn ready as this is a long and bizarre read.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2016, 11:44:57 AM by Paul Pain »
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline Larrys#1

What about Lou Costello? I think he'd make a fine stooge..

Offline GreenCanaries

• President of the Johnny Kascier Fan Club
  • Birdbrain
Wasn't there a sort of rivalry between the Stooges and Costello, in that they (or at least Moe) felt Lou ripped off some of Curly's characteristics and mannerisms?
"With oranges, it's much harder..."

Offline metaldams

Lou Costello at the time was a bigger star and would have looked at joking the Columbia Shorts Department as a demotion.  He also wouldn't have survived the comeback as he passed in 1959.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Giff me dat fill-em!

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Team Stooge
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
I know its late - late in this thread, BUT .... Why replace Shemp at all? Is it JUST because the Columbia Moguls said "I'm paying for Three Stooges, not Two!" Moe and Larry could have been a great team on their own, if Columbia had the foresight for it. I KNOW, "The TWO Stooges? How lame!" Is there any salve for this replacement wound that was thrust upon our boys? ..... Abbott & Costello - Howard & Fine - .... it kinda has a ring, no?  (heeheehee .... its ALOT better than Horwitz & Feinberg, eh?!)
The tacks won't come out! Well, they went in ... maybe they're income tacks.

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Team Stooge
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
The problem with a "one-of-a-kind" comedy act is .... they are ONE-OF-A-KIND. (I am harking back to the 2012 Stooge movie arguments now) ... replacing Shemp was impossible, just as replacing Curly was impossible. And, I will also say that replacing Moe or Larry was impossible. Larry, the incessant middle Stooge, who always got Curly's or Shemp's or Besser's slaps ... and was always available to be the "bad guy" in the episode they were in. Moe, the "almost" fearless leader who blazed wrong trails and forged wrong empires. These men were unique. Farrelly Brothers, we thank you for trying to re-introduce our boys to the "new generation" of movie goers, but since 2012 .... no nibbles yet, eh?

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Team Stooge
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
Hey, ... uh, gasp, gag, ... Hey! I got an idea!! Wow, this is SUPER! NO ONE has EVER thought of THIS before!! Hey, now I know this sounds radical - but ... how about we RE-RELEASE ALL 190 EPISODES of the original Three Stooges  to the movie theaters with provisions to "show them as an appetizer to the movie" and to advertise that "these episodes will be followed by a major motion picture" ..... naah, nevermind, it sucks

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Team Stooge
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
(please be assured that 99.9 percent of Giff-Me-Dat-Fillem's yammerings are only to incite your interest and get you to think about our boys .... I have NO Trump/Clinton agenda ... I just love our boys and their kind)

Offline Paul Pain

• Muttonhead
Kids, don't post while drunk. [pie] [pie] [pie] [pie]

Just kidding, comrade!
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline Paul Pain

• Muttonhead
I have NO Trump/Clinton agenda ... I just love our boys and their kind)

Trump, Clinton (Bill, that is), and Bush, with Obama filling in Dudley Dickerson's role?  [3stooges] :o >:D
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline metaldams

Trump, Clinton (Bill, that is), and Bush, with Obama filling in Dudley Dickerson's role?  [3stooges] :o >:D

The cigar eating scene would be much better with Bill Clinton than Joe Besser.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Curly Van Dyke

I think Gus Schilling would have worked. He was very funny in the series at Columbia with Dick Lane.
Not too Tall and had a Nervous Nelly type of Personality and a good comic voice.

Offline Curly Van Dyke

Another Out of the Way choice was Johnny Kascier. He could certainly handle the Physical Comedy-
not sure of his Verbal Skills, and he was short.

Offline GreenCanaries

• President of the Johnny Kascier Fan Club
  • Birdbrain
Another Out of the Way choice was Johnny Kascier. He could certainly handle the Physical Comedy-
not sure of his Verbal Skills, and he was short.

Maybe it's because I'm his resident cheerleader on this board, but I think JK would've certainly been interesting. Alas, perhaps the boys needed their doubles (especially when you consider Johnny actually doubled all six of the Stooges each at some point*), and yeah, not so sure about any screen presence he might have had compared to a Curly or a Shemp.

* He doubled Moe, Larry, Curly and Shemp when with the troupe, but also doubled Besser and DeRita in their solo outings.
"With oranges, it's much harder..."

Offline 7stooges

These are all very insightful comments and opinions. I'm glad to see a group that doesn't just unfairly hate on the two Joe's.

As for some of the ideas presented - I agree that neither Lou Costello or the Bowery Boys would have really worked. Besides being "bigger" than the Stooges (by that point, anyway), I think Costello was also trying to get away from being labeled as just a comic. And of course, as stated, he had health problems.

Leo Gorcey was in retirement at the time (though he eventually made a comeback of sorts). Plus, he was more of a Moe type.

Incidentally, Huntz Hall wasn't just a fan of Shemp's - they were actually good friends. The two met at Universal back in the late '30s/early '40s, and Shemp became one of Huntz's biggest comedies mentors. Shemp and Huntz later lived just around the corner from each other, and Huntz and his pal Gabe Dell would regularly attend gatherings at the Howard home. Shemp even became Gary Hall (Hunt's son)'s godfather.

Still, I don't think it would have worked out. Besides still being under contract to Allied Artists - and being "too tall," there was also a sizeable age gap between Huntz and the Stooges. Plus, based on stories I've heard about Huntz, he probably would have wanted all of the laughs for himself!

I know about the Mantan Moreland story (whether or not it's accurate is for another topic). He certainly would have made an interesting - though controversial - fit.

Hey, what about Emil Sitka?

Offline dom dip

Obviously said in jest as old Tor would supplant Moe as the leader.  But then, he might just break Moe in two.

While we're making bad suggestions, how about this guy?   [3stooges]  I'll express real opinions later.

Hes from I love Lucy. Maby the stooges needed a sister, Lucy would of been the perfect female stooge.

Offline Curly Van Dyke

I would nominate Gus Schilling on the strength of his Columbia series with Dick Lane-
although I think he was dead by 1956!