Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Pardon My Backfire (1953)

metaldams · 37 · 13362

Offline metaldams

I give this short a 10/10, love the extreme violence that occurs in the garage scenes, I always thrive on stooge violence, I especially love watching Moe's rear end being set on fire.

Love the passion for Moe’s buttock getting burned.  Stooge fans rule.  I give this comment a 10/10.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Tony Bensley

I give this short a 10/10, love the extreme violence that occurs in the garage scenes, I always thrive on stooge violence, I especially love watching Moe's rear end being set on fire.
The bit with Moe's rear end being set ablaze for me is reminiscent of when this happens to Ollie in the 1930 Laurel & Hardy gem, HOG WILD. I like both of the 3-D Stooges shorts, and this was also just about the last one they made before the shorts department budget really fell through the floor!

I give PARDON MY BACKFIRE (1953) 8/10.

CHEERS!  [3stooges]

Offline metaldams

The bit with Moe's rear end being set ablaze for me is reminiscent of when this happens to Ollie in the 1930 Laurel & Hardy gem, HOG WILD. I like both of the 3-D Stooges shorts, and this was also just about the last one they made before the shorts department budget really fell through the floor!

I give PARDON MY BACKFIRE (1953) 8/10.

CHEERS!  [3stooges]

Yeah, this 3-D gimmick really does feel like the last gasp of trying something new and caring.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline HomokHarcos

I was really confused the first time I watched these 3-D shorts, not knowing that's what they were. I thought they were just using a cheesy camera gimmick.

Offline Tony Bensley

I was really confused the first time I watched these 3-D shorts, not knowing that's what they were. I thought they were just using a cheesy camera gimmick.
They also wouldn't have looked good at all without 3-D Glasses, unless it was a flat screen version, which I'm assuming it wasn't?

CHEERS!  [3stooges]

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Muttonhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!
I was an adult when I finally saw PARDON MY BACKFIRE.  Because SPOOKS was the only Three Stooges Shemp-era scare comedy ever shown on AMC in the late 1990s and early 2000s, I thought for years that it was just part of making SPOOKS seem spookier.

Then I became educated to the real ways of the world.
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline Shemp_Diesel

I think I've said this before, but 3-D is one of those fads I'm glad went away whenever it did. Just the idea of just aiming something or someone directly at the camera to force the feeling that it's coming right at the viewer is beyond hokey.

But--in the world of the stooges--the "hokeyness," (if that's even a word) does lend to some comedy & that closeup of the Shemp-head bat from Spooks! is indeed legendary....
Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Offline Umbrella Sam

My mind really plays tricks on me sometimes. The first time I saw this and SPOOKS in 3D, I recalled the 3D actually being pretty convincing, but since then it’s always been off (for a while I attributed it to getting a new TV, but in hindsight it was probably just my memory playing tricks on me). Funny enough, I ended up seeing the 3D version of SPOOKS in a theater, not knowing it was in the lineup (it was a festival of Halloween-related cartoons and they decided to throw it in despite not having any relation to cartoons). Sure enough, the 3D did not look any better on a theater screen.
“I’ll take a milkshake...with sour milk!” -Shemp (Punchy Cowpunchers, 1950)

My blog: https://talk-about-cinema.blogspot.com

Offline metaldams

My mind really plays tricks on me sometimes. The first time I saw this and SPOOKS in 3D, I recalled the 3D actually being pretty convincing, but since then it’s always been off (for a while I attributed it to getting a new TV, but in hindsight it was probably just my memory playing tricks on me). Funny enough, I ended up seeing the 3D version of SPOOKS in a theater, not knowing it was in the lineup (it was a festival of Halloween-related cartoons and they decided to throw it in despite not having any relation to cartoons). Sure enough, the 3D did not look any better on a theater screen.

That’s cool you had the experience seeing this on the big screen in 3-D either way.

Me being technologically an imbecile didn’t realize you need a 3-D TV to really appreciate these shorts.  I’ve never really seen these Stooge shorts in proper 3-D.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Tony Bensley

That’s cool you had the experience seeing this on the big screen in 3-D either way.

Me being technologically an imbecile didn’t realize you need a 3-D TV to really appreciate these shorts.  I’ve never really seen these Stooge shorts in proper 3-D.
I do recall seeing a few great reviews of the two 3-D Stooges shorts, as they were presented on the Twilight Time Blu-ray release a few years back. The name of the main 3-D feature included in this TT release escapes me at the moment, but it was documented that at least one of the 3-D stooges shorts played alongside this main feature during their original theatrical releases. What a shame the manufacturers terminated 3-D TV production!

CHEERS!  [3stooges]

Offline Daddy Dewdrop

I recall the first time I saw this short as a kid.  I couldn't believe how violent it was and I couldn't wait to see it again!  I rank it slightly ahead of "Spooks" and it's my #10 (Shemp) and #53 short overall.

Offline Woe-ee-Woe-Woe80

I was an adult when I finally saw PARDON MY BACKFIRE.  Because SPOOKS was the only Three Stooges Shemp-era scare comedy ever shown on AMC in the late 1990s and early 2000s, I thought for years that it was just part of making SPOOKS seem spookier.

Then I became educated to the real ways of the world.

I seem to remember seeing "The Ghost Talks" and "Who Done It" on AMC back in those days.