Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

The Jughead Cap

Offline Giff me dat fill-em!

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Team Stooge
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
Shemp wears one in the episode "Three Arabian Nuts", and Besser repeats the hat in a remake episode ... you know, the ONLY time I EVER seen a guy wear a Jughead cap was in an Archie Comic strip ... the character "Jughead" in fact ... was this a hat worn in the 30's and 40's? or was it only in the cartoon comics pages?
The tacks won't come out! Well, they went in ... maybe they're income tacks.

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Team Stooge
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
Okay, the Besser remake where he cooks the broken eggs together with a blow torch, you know, the one where he is in love with the really large female wrestler

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Team Stooge
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
Actually, Shemp does NOT have on a "Jughead " cap ... it is a navy blue sailor's cap with emblems pinned in the circle of the cap ... however, without looking for the Besser ep, I think Besser "does" wear the jughead cap, so my original question is still valid.

Offline Shemp_Diesel

The Besser episode you're thinking about was Muscle Up A Little Closer...
Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Team Stooge
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
Thanks Shemp_Diesel ... it IS Muscle Up a Little Closer ... but why is Besser wearing such a cap? Is he trying to make himself look like Jughead in the Archie comic strips? Or is that a cap in the late '50's all kids wore to show off their non grownup prowess? My older brother (who grew up in the mid to late 50"s never wore one, but DID avail himself to the crew cut and butch wax hair styles of the day)

A little insight from Wikipedia (in its article about Jughead):

"This type of crown-shaped cap, called a whoopee cap, was popular among boys in the 1930s and 1940s. It was made from a man's felt fedora hat with the brim trimmed in a zig-zag and turned up... Such caps were often worn by mechanics."

There is a little further detail in the actual "whoopee cap" article.
"Give me a smart idiot over a stupid genius any day." -- Samuel Goldwyn

The people who have your best interests at heart...
...are generally not the ones telling you whatever you want to hear.

Offline Signor Spumoni

Once upon a time, I thought of Jughead's cap for no particular reason, and wondered if anyone outside a Hollywood soundstage wore one.  I didn't know it was called a whoopee cap until I read this thread, but I learned it was, indeed, real.  Egbert (Jackie Jackson) wears one in "Three Loan Wolves," by the way.

I assumed that Joe wore one to look funny because the hat was worn (primarily) by children.