Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

2016 MLB Thread....

Offline Tony Bensley

I see that the Chicago Cubs reached the 100 season win plateau, and have clinched for this year's best record in Baseball!  It occurs to me that this the first time they've done either in my lifetime!  Arrieta just may be "Three Finger" Brown reincarnated, with five fingers? ;)

If any year is going to be theirs, I believe this may be the one for the Northsiders!  Time will tell.

Of course, Toronto is still in the running, currently holding one of the Wild Card spots, but I suspect the AL championship is Boston's to lose, realistically speaking!

CHEERS! :)

Offline Shemp_Diesel

A possible Cubs/Red Sox World Series--how great would that be....

[hello2]
Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Offline Shemp_Diesel

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm really pulling for a Mets/Giants NL Wild Card game--the Mad Bum vs. Syndergaard, preferably in Citi Field...   ;)
Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Offline Lefty

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm really pulling for a Mets/Giants NL Wild Card game--the Mad Bum vs. Syndergaard, preferably in Citi Field...   ;)

The Phillies were glad to do their part.  Be careful what you wish for -- the home team has not done well in these one-and-done-let's-make-more-money-wild-card-play-in-games.  And if the National League version of the Yankees, the St. Louis Cardinals, should miss the playoffs as well, I have no problem at all with that.

Offline Shemp_Diesel

It's official now--Giants and Mets, Wednesday Night...

And no Cardinals or Yankees in the playoffs--even sweeter...

[cool]

Offline metaldams

Same crap.  Bumgarner is invincible in October, Familia a choker.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Tony Bensley

Same crap.  Bumgarner is invincible in October, Familia a choker.
Damn it, I so wanted the Giants to lose!  I'm not surprised, though.  Bumgarner tends to come through, while the choking of the Mets closer has become all too Familia!  :P

Here's hoping the Cubs can beat the Giants, but with Bumgarner, coupled with the Cubs own historical propensity for choking when it counts?  Well, we'll see!

CHEERS!  [pie]

Offline Shemp_Diesel

I'm sure the brass at MLB wants a Cubs/Sawx Series, but I wouldn't blink if the G-Men put Chicago down. Who knows--Cubs vs. anybody from the AL might be a draw....

Offline Tony Bensley

I'm sure the brass at MLB wants a Cubs/Sawx Series, but I wouldn't blink if the G-Men put Chicago down. Who knows--Cubs vs. anybody from the AL might be a draw....
If the Chicago Cubs didn't have such a historical propensity for choking before they can reach the World Series, I'd say that's where the smart money would be, but droughts do generally end sometime!  In my opinion, they need to drop that stupid goddamn Goat business!  Obviously, it hasn't "worked" in over 70 years of missed World Series for the Cubs, anyway!  Just play fucking Baseball and may the team that plays the best, win!  Of course, asking most any ballclub to drop silly superstitions would likely be about as effective as asking a certain Presidential Candidate to lose the alleged combover - ain't gonna happen!

CHEERS!  [pie]

Offline metaldams

Interesting stat:  Red Sox pitchers have 15 postseason starts, not a single win among them as I type this.  Really could use a Schilling, D-Lowe, Beckett, or Pedro.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Tony Bensley

Interesting stat:  Red Sox pitchers have 15 postseason starts, not a single win among them as I type this.  Really could use a Schilling, D-Lowe, Beckett, or Pedro.
And after tonight's game, they still haven't!  :P

The Blue Jays won their opening game quite handily, with Estrada pitching a gem for 8 1/3 innings.  How's this for an interesting stat? - He has had 133 Major League starts without a single complete game among them!

The Senior Circuit starts their 2 Division Series tomorrow!  I hope the Cubs prove to be Giant killers, but the latter team has been to the World Series (And Won!) every second year since 2010!

CHEERS!  [pie]

Offline metaldams

And after tonight's game, they still haven't!  :P

The Blue Jays won their opening game quite handily, with Estrada pitching a gem for 8 1/3 innings.  How's this for an interesting stat? - He has had 133 Major League starts without a single complete game among them!

The Senior Circuit starts their 2 Division Series tomorrow!  I hope the Cubs prove to be Giant killers, but the latter team has been to the World Series (And Won!) every second year since 2010!

CHEERS!  [pie]

Yeah, Estrada is the opposite.  Two years in a row, the guy delivers.  David Price's postseason wins are all in relief, I think Toronto gave him a charity win last year, and it's not like he pitched well.  Just came in before the 5th with a big lead.  I hope Price turns it around today in the postseason. 

PS: I obviously should have thrown Lester and Lackey in the above good names in Red Sox past.  They're why I have a feeling the Cubs have a chance.  Some guys can perform in big games, others can't.  The latter won a game seven in the WS his rookie year and clinching game 6 in 2013.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Tony Bensley

Yeah, Estrada is the opposite.  Two years in a row, the guy delivers.  David Price's postseason wins are all in relief, I think Toronto gave him a charity win last year, and it's not like he pitched well.  Just came in before the 5th with a big lead.  I hope Price turns it around today in the postseason. 

PS: I obviously should have thrown Lester and Lackey in the above good names in Red Sox past.  They're why I have a feeling the Cubs have a chance.  Some guys can perform in big games, others can't.  The latter won a game seven in the WS his rookie year and clinching game 6 in 2013.
Also, the Cubs current GM has a reputation for getting things done behind the scenes!

As for David Price, don't even get me started on him!  To be fair, he's great insofar as helping teams make it to the postseason.  I still remember my heart sinking when I got wind of his abysmal playoff record, which sadly, was only reinforced with last year's subpar outings!  Hopefully, he does better for the Red Sox this time around!

CHEERS!  [pie]

Offline metaldams

As good as Rick Porcello has been this year, he had his worst start of the year....in the playoffs.  Some guys just can't do it.  Clayton Kershaw,  as amazing of a talent he is, also has a bad postseason record, once giving up a six run 7th inning lead to St. Louis.  He's a big reason why the Dodgers are perennial first round losers.  I'd like to see him turn it around.

Then there are the Bumgarners of the world, just unreal.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Tony Bensley

As good as Rick Porcello has been this year, he had his worst start of the year....in the playoffs.  Some guys just can't do it.  Clayton Kershaw,  as amazing of a talent he is, also has a bad postseason record, once giving up a six run 7th inning lead to St. Louis.  He's a big reason why the Dodgers are perennial first round losers.  I'd like to see him turn it around.

Then there are the Bumgarners of the world, just unreal.
That's why I liked the Cubs chances better facing the Mets than the Giants.  You just can't ever count out the latter, especially Bumgarner!  That said, the Cubs do have two starting pitchers, with well proven post season outings!  We'll just have to wait and see how their Division series plays out.

On the plus side, the Blue Jays have taken a 2-0 lead against the Rangers, plus Osuna amply demonstrated after his Wild Card game shoulder tightness scare that he's just fine in getting the last 5 outs!  Hopefully, Toronto can close it out Sunday night!

CHEERS!  [pie]

Offline Shemp_Diesel

David Price getting roughed up again in October. More importantly--for me, anyway--Scherzer and Kershaw are about to start...

Offline Tony Bensley

David Price getting roughed up again in October. More importantly--for me, anyway--Scherzer and Kershaw are about to start...
There's just no getting around the fact that David Price has sucked in postseason play.  I never thought I'd actually say that I'm glad the Blue Jays didn't keep him, but at this point, I am!

I hope that Francisco Liriano is OK?  That was some smack on the back of his neck from Gomez' line drive!  I find it touching that he's asked for prayers that his friend Francisco will be all right.  Humanity isn't dead.

CHEERS!  [pie]

Offline Shemp_Diesel

I don't want to say the Sawx are dead, but things are looking dire. Scherzer  and Kershaw not quite the duel I was expecting--Clayton gone after 5 tough innings and now Max is out too...

Offline metaldams

...and Jon Lester, proven winner, wins 1 - 0.  God I miss him.  Red Sox win by getting proven winner in Curt Schilling, maybe Lester will do the same for the Cubs.

Kershaw may have won, but he was still mediocre.  Nice break for the Dodgers winning on a day that he was so. 
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Muttonhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!
This looks interesting as we may have a World Series of all perennial losers.
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline Lefty

This looks interesting as we may have a World Series of all perennial losers.

No, the Phillies didn't make it.   [pie]

Offline Lefty

With no team to root for (Phillies) or against (Cardinals and New York teams), it doesn't matter much who wins it, but I would not be surprised to see at least one former Phillie getting a ring this year (not likely Cole Hamels though).  I do hope that if the Red Sox go down, it's because someone would be thrown out at second base by ten feet trying to stretch a single into a double.

Offline Tony Bensley

With no team to root for (Phillies) or against (Cardinals and New York teams), it doesn't matter much who wins it, but I would not be surprised to see at least one former Phillie getting a ring this year (not likely Cole Hamels though).  I do hope that if the Red Sox go down, it's because someone would be thrown out at second base by ten feet trying to stretch a single into a double.
No, not likely Cole Hamels!  :)

CHEERS!  [pie]

Offline Tony Bensley

The Cubs just beat the Giants 5-2 to take a 2-0 NLDS lead!  Too bad the Dodgers/Nationals game got postponed due to a rainout.

CHEERS!  [pie]

Offline JazzBill

...and Jon Lester, proven winner, wins 1 - 0.  God I miss him.  Red Sox win by getting proven winner in Curt Schilling, maybe Lester will do the same for the Cubs.
I'm actually starting to think this might be the Cubs year. Lester has been a big part of that.
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".