Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Howard Morris RIP

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
Actor and director Howard Morris has died at age 85.

Howard appeared with the Three Stooges in STAR SPANGLED SALESMAN (1968), directed by Norman Maurer.  Mr. Morris directed WHO'S MINDING THE MINT? (1967), which was produced by Norman Maurer and featured Emil Sitka and Jeffrey Maurer in cameo roles.  He also directed WITH SIX YOU GET EGGROLL (1968); originally Joe Besser was a member of the cast, but at costar Brian Keith's insistence, Howard had the unfortunate task of recasting Joe's role (with Vic Tayback).

Howard Morris is probably best-known as Ernest T. Bass on THE ANDY GRIFFITH SHOW.  Regardless, he considered his career highlight to be the years he spent working on YOUR SHOW OF SHOWS and CAESAR'S HOUR, with Sid Caesar, Imogene Coca, Carl Reiner, Nanette Fabray, Mel Brooks, Larry Gelbart, and more.  Over seven years, Howard was hilarious in one comic skit after another... "This Is Your Story," "The German General," "The Bavarian Clock," and scores more.

Mr. Morris was also a long-time member of the television animation voice-actor community, working for Hanna-Barbera, Filmation, and King Features.  Among his long list of animation roles are Jughead on THE ARCHIES, Atom Ant, Beetle Bailey, and various characters on THE FLINTSTONES and THE JETSONS.  Morris was always a very busy character actor in television too.  A close friend of Mel Brooks, Howard costarred in Brooks' under-appreciated Hitchcock spoof HIGH ANXIETY (1977) as Professor Lilloman.

In the 1960s, Howard moved into directing, mostly for television, but also film.  Highlights include GET SMART (pilot episode), BEWITCHED, THE DICK VAN DYKE SHOW, THE ANDY GRIFFITH SHOW, GOMER PYLE USMC and HOGAN'S HEROES.  He also directed Jackie Gleason in DON'T DRINK THE WATER (1969).

I had the opportunity to meet Howard on many occasions, particularly at the annual Mayberry Days celebrations in Mt. Airy NC.  He was also a regular celebrity guest at the Hollywood Collector Shows in North Hollywood.  He particularly loved to talk about his 1950s work with Sid Caesar, but was always gracious and friendly when fans invariably brought up Ernest T. Bass.  Although he only guested in six episodes, he made such an impression that he was typecast.  At autograph shows, he seemed perplexed to see his 8x10s of Ernest T., and a pic of him with the Stooges, selling more than his many Caesar-related photos.  But he always took it in stride, and with good humor.

A rare talent, who will be missed.  RIP Howard Morris.

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography

Pilsner Panther

I hope I'm not violating anyone's reserved rights by linking to this— but hey, as of now it's historical material, so I can always invoke the Fair Use clause if anyone gets mad at me.

http://www.mayberry.com/tagsrwc/wbmutbb/anewsome/private/HowardMorrisInterview26Jun98.html

Mr. Morris had a great voice, and he was funny here just speaking off the cuff to an interviewer. He sure got around professionally, too; one of those workaholic entertainers of the old school!

8)

I've never seen "Your Show of Shows," but it has the reputation of being classic TV comedy.

Offline Pip Pip

Howard Morris was just as manic on "Your Show of Shows" as he was playing Ernest T. Bass on The Andy Griffith Show, but without the drawl.  He was a wild man - and very funny.  He will be missed.

Offline shempheadbat

Yea, he was an underrated genius.  He directed a ton of classic shows, including several "Andy"s, and was a big part of the writers' room insanity on "Your Show Of Shows" (along with Sid Caesar, Larry Gelbart, Mel Brooks, Woody Allen, and other future Hall-of-Famers...).  I have seen a handfull of "Show of Show"s, and probably his greatest turn was as 'uncle Stinky' in a parody of "This Is Your Life", crying, clambering over furniture, and leaping onto (and climbing around on) big Sid.  I think I'll throw a couple of rocks in his memory...