The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Scrambled Brains (1951)

metaldams · 31 · 13403

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Muttonhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!
Hello all!

This is my first (foist?) post on here. I was first introduced to the Three Stooges by my uncle. In fact, the first Third Stooge I was introduced to was Shemp (it was Gents in a Jam, A Snitch in Time, and Goof on the Roof). I watched the Stooges’ Slap Happy Hour on Spike (my favorite has always been Curly). I fell out of them for a while but then I got back into them (mostly because I find the shorts to be fascinating time capsules).

I was looking at the Wikipedia article for Scrambled Brains and the article says that Nora was played by Babe London (born Jean Glover). Now, all of you guys have a better understanding of the history of the Three Stooges than I do. If this is her, the gapped teeth were a very convincing piece of makeup as there is a picture from 1964 where she has very well kept teeth.

EDIT: I did not see this mentioned. So please forgive me if this sounds condescending. I hope I am not putting anyone down.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Babe_London

Welcome Count Jerome!  You watched the Slap Happy Hour, so you're probably about the same age as I am.

You are entirely correct about Babe London in this short.  While she was almost always exclusively used as the "big beautiful woman" (as our own metaldams once classified her among actresses), she was indeed heavily made up to look as she did in SCRAMBLED BRAINS.  I do not know what they did exactly, but such tricks appear in movies all the way back to the 1910s.
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline Count Jerome “Curley” von Gehrol

• Generalissimo of the Televania Republican Armed Forces
  • Grapehead
  • I am the dimwitted brother of Count Alfred Gherol.
Welcome Count Jerome!  You watched the Slap Happy Hour, so you're probably about the same age as I am.

You are entirely correct about Babe London in this short.  While she was almost always exclusively used as the "big beautiful woman" (as our own metaldams once classified her among actresses), she was indeed heavily made up to look as she did in SCRAMBLED BRAINS.  I do not know what they did exactly, but such tricks appear in movies all the way back to the 1910s.

Thank you for the warm welcome, Paul Pain. I was born in December of 1996. :) I was thankful to find out that the gap in her teeth was fake (and they did a great job at making it look real).
Miss Arvin, may I present to you Admiral Taylor, Commander Button, and Captain Presser.

Offline metaldams

December of 1996? Nurse, it’s time for my Metamucil!

Welcome to the board.  Babe London, as a younger woman, was indeed heavier and gapless in the teeth.  She appeared in comedies as far back as the silent era and is probably most famous for being in OUR WIFE from Laurel and Hardy..
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Freddie Sanborn

Welcome to the Kingdom, Count! I was born in 1953 (yikes!), so does that make me an OG Stooges on TV fan? I clearly remember the first package with Curly Stooge shorts mixed in with Andy Clyde, Charley Chase, Vera Vague and others.
“If it’s not comedy, I fall asleep.” Harpo Marx

Offline Count Jerome “Curley” von Gehrol

• Generalissimo of the Televania Republican Armed Forces
  • Grapehead
  • I am the dimwitted brother of Count Alfred Gherol.
Welcome to the Kingdom, Count! I was born in 1953 (yikes!), so does that make me an OG Stooges on TV fan? I clearly remember the first package with Curly Stooge shorts mixed in with Andy Clyde, Charley Chase, Vera Vague and others.

I would say it does Freddie. Thank you for the warm welcome. It’s pretty cool to talk to someone who remembers when the boys first made it to TVLand.
Miss Arvin, may I present to you Admiral Taylor, Commander Button, and Captain Presser.

Offline metaldams

I was born in 1978 - 364 days after Chaplin died.  I post on two movie message boards and am in this weird position.  Lots of posters old enough to be my Dad.  Posters where I’m old enough to be their Dad.  But very few people my age these days.  (Shrugs shoulders).

Count Jerome, being the oldest in my generation, I do have cousins your age.
- Doug Sarnecky