Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Don't Throw That Knife (1951)

metaldams · 30 · 15476

Offline Percy Pomeroy

I love this one. I'm an old guy and I saw it a gazillion times as a kid growing up in the 1960s. All the jokes were right in my wheelhouse. That said, I can understand how our younger Moronika members, who may have viewed Don't Throw That Knife in a different context, could give this one a low grade because it is so silly.

8/10. Solid Stooge comfort food.

P.S. I like quoting obscure Stooge lines in my real life (of course no one gets the reference but me). This short has one of my favorites:"Make mine fried".

Offline Umbrella Sam

P.S. I like quoting obscure Stooge lines in my real life (of course no one gets the reference but me). This short has one of my favorites:"Make mine fried".

I'm sort of like this in real life as well. Back in high school, I showed some of my friends the *clap-clap-clap-clap* Texas routine from JERKS OF ALL TRADES. Now, whenever we're together and the word Texas comes up, we always remember to clap four times before saying it.

Looking through this thread, I think I probably agree most with Dr. Hugo. I always remembered this being decent enough and there are plenty of shorts that I would pick this one over. That being said, I do remember the mirror scenes being very tedious. One of these days, I'll watch this short again and review it.
“I’ll take a milkshake...with sour milk!” -Shemp (Punchy Cowpunchers, 1950)

My blog: https://talk-about-cinema.blogspot.com

Offline Daddy Dewdrop

Coming in at #134 on my worst-to-first countdown we have "Don't Throw That Knife."  I think I like this one a bit more than most.  Shemp has some great one-liners and the opening census business always makes me smile.

#134. Don't Throw That Knife

Offline metaldams

Geez, I was rough on this one years back.  While definitely not an all time favorite, I don’t think it’s as bad as I made it out to be.  Must have had a bad day and bad viewing.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Muttonhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!
Geez, I was rough on this one years back.  While definitely not an all time favorite, I don’t think it’s as bad as I made it out to be.  Must have had a bad day and bad viewing.

I decided to rewatch this one as well, and I likewise feel that I was a bit harsh on this one.  As I have gotten older, the shorts I thought were terrible seem worse and the ones that seemed mediocre don't seem so bad.  These non-Stooge Columbias are giving me a better idea of what mediocre really is.
#1 fire kibitzer