Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Language Translation on the Internet

Offline Giff me dat fill-em!

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Team Stooge
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
I am learning the Spanish language from my fellow workmates and from the Pimsleur Language Program CD's I own ... and I have found a significant language weirdness in the fact of internet language "translator" websites ...

1) I asked a free language translator site to give me the Spanish version of "I love you very much my darling bride"
2) I got a Spanish response of "Le amo muchísimo mi novia querida"
3) When I then inputted this into the same free language translator, except Spanish to English, I got "My dear fiancée loved him very much"

Is THIS what Spanish speaking people hear when we say "I love you very much my darling bride"? There is NO mention of a female sex in the translated/translated sentence - in fact it states that the fiancee loved "HIM" ...
I know we are a sex based version of language just like Spanish is, but I also guess that the "free" language translators are NOT going to deliniate tense and context in a sentence. (At least for free, anyway)
The tacks won't come out! Well, they went in ... maybe they're income tacks.

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Team Stooge
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
In other words ... should I trust them or not? (based on what I have observed, I would say not)

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Team Stooge
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
This has a logical ending ... the ultimate translation of the spanish street directions given to our boys on the episode where the guys were given the directions to "go jump oin the lake" 

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Team Stooge
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
There are other translation examples ... where the female lady person calls to her husband from the bus in Spanish, with words like "quiero" which in its simplest Spanish translation means "I want"

Offline Shemp_Diesel

In my limited experience, I believe those internet translators like Google are never 100% accurate. Something always seems to get lost in translation.

???
Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Offline Signor Spumoni

In my limited experience, I believe those internet translators like Google are never 100% accurate. Something always seems to get lost in translation.

???

I agree with SD.  I have an extremely limited knowledge of a particular language, but when I looked up phrases on internet translators, I could tell they were, well, wacky.  One even used the English word I entered and showed it as the word translated into the language I wanted (and I knew that wasn't correct).  It sometimes seems that computers have given us their own version of English As She Is Spoke.

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Muttonhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!
I will go step-wise here.
Le amo muchísimo mi novia querida
1. Le amo = him/her/it/you(polite) I love
2. muchísimo = very much
3. mi novia querida = my dear bride

From 3, we know that, and no one would EVER use the polite form "le" to speak to their wife, so this must be referring to her in the third person (yes, I am saying you made a mistake at this point).

1*. Le amo = her I love

Bringing it together, we get 4, the direct translation.

4. her I love very much my dear bride

Reordering for clarity and English syntax, we get 5.

5. I love her very much, my dear bride.

The sentence you should have used is 6, with a different personal pronoun and the necessary comma for the term of endearment.

6. Te amo muchísimo, mi novia querida

Which translated through the same steps gives...

7. I love you very much, my dear bride.
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline Lefty

For the most part, I use Google Translate.

1.  I love you very much, my dear bride.
2.  Te quiero mucho, mi querida novia.
3.  I love you, my dear girlfriend.
4.  Huevo nuevo.

Not exactly the same, eh?   [pie]