Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Star Wars: How Much Do Stooges Fans Care?

Guest · 36 · 9276

Poll

How much of a "Star Wars Nerd" are you?

Camped out at the theater all week in a Star Wars costume
0 (0%)
Camped out at the theater all week, not in costume
0 (0%)
Like the films, but not addicted to them
8 (50%)
My friends made me go, but I don't care very much about the series
2 (12.5%)
Glad this is the last one (whew!)
6 (37.5%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Voting closed: May 26, 2005, 11:04:31 PM

Pilsner Panther

I'm just curious to see how much overlap there is between the "Star Wars" and the Stooges crowds, so here's the first poll I've run in a really long time. Feel free to comment; the reviews I've been reading fall into the love-it-or-hate-it category, for the most part. At rottentomatoes.com, the positive reviews are leading by a large margin.

Me, I'm old enough to have seen the original film when it first came out, but I lost interest after the third one. The Ewoks were just too much for someone who absolutely hates "cuteness." Tex Avery had it right— cute creatures should exist only to be thrown off of high cliffs, blown to bits, and run over with steamrollers!

>:D

Anyway, just thought I'd ask, since it's such a huge Fooforaw, Megillah, and Ranny-Gazoo (three planets that Lucas left out, along with my home planet, Hotzeplotz).

The poll will run for the next week.

Anacin Jaywalker, Dark Lord of the Sitzbath (a.k.a. Pils)

::)

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
I chose the middle road on this one, and here's why:

As a kid growing up I loved Star Wars. I am not old enough to have seen the first two during their first run (I was born the same year Star Wars came out), but I loved those movies anyway. I even had a The Empire Strikes Back bedspread set growing up. Being the twisted prick I've always been, Darth Vader was my favorite. Then came Return Of The Jedi, which I went to see as a kid, and it sucked balls. Darth Vader became good and died, not to mention those fucking Ewoks. Needless to say I was soured on the Star Wars series after that one. Later on, when Episode 1 came out I decided to give Star Wars another shot, but Episode 1 sucked worse than Jedi. I didn't even bother with Episode 2. Part of me wants to see the new one just to see Darth Vader's birth, but I'm a bit gunshy.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Pilsner Panther

(...)  Part of me wants to see the new one just to see Darth Vader's birth, but I'm a bit gunshy.

Same here; maybe I'll see it, but the chances are about 70-30 against. I have fond memories of the second film only because I was dating this hot Australian girl at the time, and that was the night we first... well, you know. Whether there was any Han Solo and Leia fantasizing going on there on her part, I can't say, but the movie didn't hurt matters any.

;D

When the third one came out, I was standing in line at the Loew's 86th Street Theatre in N.Y.C. in front of a black woman and her two small boys, ages about five and seven. We got to talking, and it turned out that she lived in Harlem (just north of there), and was a single mother who could barely afford the price of three tickets. "Every time they see one o' these damn Sta' Wo's toys on TV, they gotta have it!" she said, "What they think I am, a toy factory? It's hard enough just to put their meals on the table every day!"

For some reason, I remember that conversation better than I remember the movie. That third episode, I think, was the point when George Lucas went over to the "Dark Side" himself: merchandising became more important to him than the content of his films.

:(

For a more balanced view than mine, try:

http://online.wsj.com/article_email/0,,SB111646956033837826-IVjfINolad4nZyubXyHa66Am4,00.html

Offline Curleys_Girl_Suze

I have never seen any of the Star Wars films and I don't have a hankerin' to see any of them.

Offline wallawalla

• Grapehead
  • I think the goat walked right through it, I'm sure
I don't care much for Star Wars, but I'll see the movie because my wife wants to go. I'm not a big sci-fi fan and I used to work in a film lab so special effects don't do much for me either. When I pick a movie, it's 99% likely it will be a comedy.

Pilsner Panther

I have never seen any of the Star Wars films and I don't have a hankerin' to see any of them.

Really?

???

You must be the only person on the planet who hasn't, except maybe for some cloistered nuns, a couple of tribes of Amazon Indians, and some yak-herders on the remote plains of Outer Mongolia. I'm not even sure about the Indians or the yak-herders, since they've probably all got VCR's and satellite dishes by now.

Just out of curiosity, Suze, how is it that you've never seen one "Star Wars" episode? For my generation (now early-to-late 40's types), it was practically a ritual to stand in line for the first "Star Wars," and I must have seen it half a dozen times at least. The first two films were a kick, and it was only with the third that the novelty wore off and it also became obvious that Lucas was aiming at a more juvenile audience. From selling action to selling action figures in a mere three steps, that's what it came down to.

>:(

Pilsner Panther

I don't care much for Star Wars, but I'll see the movie because my wife wants to go. I'm not a big sci-fi fan and I used to work in a film lab so special effects don't do much for me either. When I pick a movie, it's 99% likely it will be a comedy.

I should have made that fourth choice, "friends or spouse made me go," but you get the idea. I'm about a 99% comedy person, too; I've always said that nothing improves a film like a few well-thrown pies.

[stooges]

In 2005, this is definitely a minority opinion.

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
...I was born the same year Star Wars came out...
God, I feel old!  :(

Later on, when Episode 1 came out I decided to give Star Wars another shot, but Episode 1 sucked worse than Jedi. I didn't even bother with Episode 2.
I can understand that, although - ironically - Attack of the Clones was much better then Phantom Menace.  Of course, that's still not saying much.  I liked the original trilogy well enough, but I'm not a fanatic, and Episodes I and II left me flat.  I was likewise disappointed by the ending in Jedi.

Back in the late 70's, after the success of Star Wars and word came out that Lucas was making The Empire Strikes Back, he said that he intended to make a total of nine films, three taking place before the original triology and three following.  But instead of going on to the later triology - while the original cast members were still available - Lucas took forever and then decided to go with the "first" trilogy.  I notice that all mention of the final triology has disappeared.

I've loved science fiction all of my life.  Some of my earliest memories of watching movies as a kid include Day the Eath Stood Still, War of the Worlds, The Thing From Another World , etc., not to mention TV shows like Twilight Zone and The Outer LimitsStar Trek came out when I was 11 and I was instantly hooked.  I didn't care about the cheesy sets or ham acting - I was enthralled with the idea of people living in space.  (I also closely followed the Mercury, Gemini and Apollo space projects, which were all big news back then.)  My favorite authors are from science fiction, too, with  Robert Heinlien and Isaac Asimov leading the list.

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
I decided to give in and see the movie. Here's quick review:

The major problem with Revenge of the Sith is that it is too long. At 2 1/2 hours it could have been edited down to 1 hr 45 mins/2hrs and have been just fine. In fact, it might have made the movie tighter.

It has been years since I've last seen Star Wars (some people call it A New Hope, but I'll always refer to it as plain old Star Wars), but from what I remember Sith helps to fill the plot holes in the original. Everything seems to tie in to the first three movies rather well. My fiancee has never seen the original three and now wants to see them.

If you've seen the first three movies then you pretty much already know what's going to happen in this movie, but that is just fine. Even though it is a bit lengthy it is very entertaining. The plot is a bit thin, but if you are going to a Star Wars movie for the plot then there is something wrong with you. Seeing the birth of Darth Vader is a sight to behold even though you know it is coming. Special effects are great, and the movie itself is fun to watch.

Overall, I would rank Sith below Empire Strikes Back and Star Wars, but definately better than Jedi or Phantom Menace. I'd have to see Attack of the Clones before I know where that one ranks.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline Stoop

Really?

???

You must be the only person on the planet who hasn't, except maybe for some cloistered nuns, a couple of tribes of Amazon Indians, and some yak-herders on the remote plains of Outer Mongolia. I'm not even sure about the Indians or the yak-herders, since they've probably all got VCR's and satellite dishes by now. [ . . .]

I hadn’t seen any star wars episodes until Friday when my boyfriend made me sit through episode one, two, and then three (wow, how many episodes are there anyway?!). And I must say that that was the best nap I have had in my life.  No offense to any fans out there, I just don’t think this is my kind of movie. If I don’t have nightmares about it then I don’t think its worth watching.

And BTW I am no cloistered nun . . .
 :D
« Last Edit: May 21, 2005, 09:13:53 PM by Stoop »
It takes an estimated 2,893 licks to get to the center of a tootsie roll tootsie pop.

Jimmie Adams

I actually liked the first Star Wars movie when it came out in 1977.  The thing that sold me on it was when Luke and Han are fleeing the law.  They get into their spaceship to elude when the thing just doesn't start.  I thought that was great, had never seen that in a sci-fi film.

All after that it was downhill.  I believe in the only commandment of sequels which is:

The sequel has to carry it's own as a film without the audience having to rely on the previous films' storyline facts.  The Star Wars franchise disregards this.

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
The sequel has to carry it's own as a film without the audience having to rely on the previous films' storyline facts.  The Star Wars franchise disregards this.

Well, normally that makes sense, Jimmie.  But as I mentioned earlier, Lucas's stated intention was to make a total of nine movies, all part of the same story, as sort of a tribute to the sci-fi serials of the 30's and 40's, like Buck Rogers.

Apparently he's dropped the idea of making the final three movies, which - considering the overal quality of the "first" three (Menace, Clones and Sith) - may not be such a bad thing.

Offline Robbie883

Ive never even seen a whole one all way through lol but i have a feeling id like them if i sat down and watched them

Pilsner Panther

And BTW I am no cloistered nun . . .
 :D

No? I could have sworn... I mean, isn't this you?

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster

Pilsner Panther

[rotfl]

Now where the world did you find that picture?  [pot]

That's my old third grade teacher, Sister Mary Juana. No, actually, I was going to post a picture of Sally Field as the flying nun, so I Google image searched "flying nun" and that came up among the results.

She's flying, all right...!

Offline Baggie

I'm one of those people who hasn't seen any of them, nor do I want to. In August we are having some dodgy Si-Fi convention at work, and some nobodies from Star Wars are signing autographs, and we will also have Tweenies wandering our playground. Everyone is getting orgasmically anal over it all at the moment, where as I couldn't give two shits.     :-\
The artist formerly known as Shempetta

Offline Curleys_Girl_Suze

Really?

Just out of curiosity, Suze, how is it that you've never seen one "Star Wars" episode? For my generation (now early-to-late 40's types), it was practically a ritual to stand in line for the first "Star Wars," and I must have seen it half a dozen times at least. The first two films were a kick, and it was only with the third that the novelty wore off and it also became obvious that Lucas was aiming at a more juvenile audience. From selling action to selling action figures in a mere three steps, that's what it came down to.

>:(

It's the truth: I never had any desire to see that movie. Just didn't care to.:D

Pilsner Panther

Well, this has been a bit of a wake-up call. To most people my age, saying that you've never seen even one "Star Wars" film is like saying that you've managed to grow up in this culture without ever having heard rock 'n roll. But there are more than a few of you who never have seen any of them.

The other night, a friend of mine was trying to persuade me to watch the new one. I almost agreed to go, until I found out that it's 140 minutes long! My attention span just doesn't have that kind of staying power, and I've always said that any filmmaker (or playwright, or composer) who can't get his or her point across in 90 minutes or less is in need of a good editor.

:o

I mean, who does George Lucas think he is, Richard Wagner? The "Ring" cycle is even more drawn-out and tedious plot-wise, but at least the music is good. I'll agree with shemps#1 that the main flaw of "Revenge of the Shvitz" is that it's too long, without even having seen it— and I don't intend to.

So I can't write a review myself, but here's a French Canadian one that I translated using Babelfish. It covers the subject as well as any, I suppose:

"If the film starts in fast way (to read, a time more, in way puérile and infantile), the tone is aggravated therefore to the measure that the events precipitate. Paroxysmo is reached in end, while that is balanced in the world that was known in trilogie original, a world dominated for the oppression of the Empire and the shady side of the Force. Unhappyly, due to ineptitude George Lucas, the events in end do not have the emotional resonance completely that it would have expected. Nostalgia and gravity that helps, the Revenge of the Sith exactly offers certainly to some sequências of anthology and certain moments of emotion palpable. Visually so generally excepto to the some places is licked very where the numerical effect are, honest, embarrassing (it is necessary to see Christopher Lee to make pirouettes or one bebé "to float" its cover above). In a similar way, some images to bind directamente to episode 4 give some estremecimentos in end. But not sufficiently, not in such a way how much one expects.

When to the sequência where Darth Vader takes life, this last one generates as much unhappyly to laugh that at estremecimentos, due to an arguable homage to the Frankenstein of the director. The true problems start, as generally, when the actores (or numerical creations) open the mouth to become the Lucas words. As scénariste, Lucas is capable to write only two types of counterparts: those that serves to advance intrigue it directamente, and those that makes to creak of teeth in the front its ineptie. Those of the type that makes to say a robot-doctor who a personage is "to die of a broken heart," the Lucas ineptitude not for there.

One would say that to the measure that the technique improved, Lucas was worse productive. It imposes fractures your incessant ones, passing frequent in the exactly five minutes joked of youthful to the sequências of share (frequent had success, they say) to the exposition of the meandros of the scene. Its actores badly are adjusted, exactly the ones that know good as Portman and Jackson, exceptuando Ian McDiarmid (Palpatine) and Ewan McGregor (Obi-Wan Kenobi). These dois-lá must be had directed same they— to say first Ian McDiarmid, nor more nor less than soul third episode and that it offers performance probably better any film series. Its emperor Palpatine is not nor more nor less than the serpent of the terrestrial paradise, tenant Adam Skywalker and precipitating the descending for the hell of the remaining portion of the galaxy."

I can't add anything to that, except, welcome back, Gertrude Stein.

:notworthy:

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
The other night, a friend of mine was trying to persuade me to watch the new one. I almost agreed to go, until I found out that it's 140 minutes long! My attention span just doesn't have that kind of staying power, and I've always said that any filmmaker (or playwright, or composer) who can't get his or her point across in 90 minutes or less is in need of a good editor.

Yeah - I guess David O. Selznick should have put the smack down on Victor Fleming's ass for making Gone With The Wind that long, too!  And God knows, Peter Jackson should get lynched for making three movies in a row like that, as well!
 :clock:
Well, at least now we know how long Pils' attention span is! 

Pilsner Panther

Yeah - I guess David O. Selznick should have put the smack down on Victor Fleming's ass for making Gone With The Wind that long, too!  And God knows, Peter Jackson should get lynched for making three movies in a row like that, as well!
 :clock:
Well, at least now we know how long Pils' attention span is! 

Hmm... 100 minutes, that's not so bad:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0371564/

But a Civil War story with an all-Iranian cast? I think I'll pass.

Seriously, though, Rob, I was raised on two-reelers— the Stooges and others— so what can I say? That did influence my attention span, you bet. I also had a horrible experience with "The Magic Flute" when I was 19. This girl I was dating wanted to see it, and so I went with her, being young and naive and not realizing that the goddamned thing is also 140 minutes long! That is, 140 minutes of an incomprehensible plot accompanied by sugar-frosted Mozart music:

http://www.geocities.com/Vienna/Strasse/2915/flute.html

I fell asleep halfway through after struggling manfully to stay awake, she got pissed off at me for that (she was into Mozart and was studying to be a soprano), and that was our last date.

:sign12:

Ever since then, I've been a firm believer that "brevity is the soul of wit."
« Last Edit: May 23, 2005, 09:18:50 AM by Pilsner Panther »

Offline Baggie

I think the main reason I never saw any of them was because of when I was born. I was born in 1986, 3 years after the third one was released. My Mum and Dad aren't big film fans so I was never encouraged to watch the old ones as a kid. The films I grew up on were Disneys such as Bedknobs and Broomsticks, Mary Poppins, and later The Lion King and Aladdin, Three Stooges and Laurel and Hardy, Macauley Culkin films and I also remember watching Dirty Rotten Scoundrels a lot!
 By the time Episode 1 came out I was 13. As a 13 year old gal who hadn't seen the others I had no desire to see it, or the others since.
 Personally I don't see what all the hype is about, but I guess a lot of things are hyped up now (e.g. Saddam in his pants - what is the big goddamn deal with that?)
 Star Wars just seems to me like people flying through space and fighting. Am I right or completely off there?
The artist formerly known as Shempetta

Jimmie Adams

Heard on Leno tonight:

The latest Star Wars film made over $150 million dollars in four days.  It woud have made twice as much if the type of males who watch these films were able to get a date.    :laughing6:

Offline FineBari3

[rotfl]

Now where the world did you find that picture?  [pot]

COOL!!!!!!!!!!

Our IT guy at work has a picture of about  4 nuns at a bar, sitting on bar stools with stocking legs as the pillars of the stools. It looks like they have sexy legs and heels!
Mar-Jean Zamperini
"Moe is their leader." -Homer Simpson

Offline FineBari3

I saw the first Star Wars when it came out in 1977, and I was 7.  Honestly, it changed my life. I became immersed in the study of film and special effects. I later went onto a film degree.

I thought the second one was not as good as the first one (one boyfriend said that EVERYBODY liked Empire the best), and was disappointed with the third one, but liked everything but the fuzzy Ewoks. (I think I first really appreciated what merchandising was after that).

The new ones SUCKED ASS!!!!!  The first new release was all special effects and NO plot. I didnt even bother with the second new one. I am leary of getting burnt with this new release, BUT I want to see how they get this one to tie into the original. I am guessing it would have to be done with WRITING and not special effects.

Eh, I will probably go see it when I can go cheaply and when all of the dateless wonders have seen it already. (Hey Bob, how come nobody's in IT today????)
« Last Edit: May 28, 2005, 02:12:12 PM by FineBari3 »
Mar-Jean Zamperini
"Moe is their leader." -Homer Simpson