Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Vagabond Loafers (1949)

metaldams · 54 · 20745

Offline Shemp_Diesel

I am lost here though.  Stuffing crackers?

You mean lost on what Dr. Hugo was referencing? If so, see the Besser short Muscle Up a Little Closer...

Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Muttonhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!
I get that the title is a play on the title of an old Rudy Vallee song/movie, both of which might have been familiar then but now are almost completely forgotten, but I also daresay that this title didn't make any sense even when the short was new, seeing as how the stooges here are neither vagabonds nor loafers.  Idiots, yes, vagabond loafers, no.  That being the case, might I suggest a renaming contest, like we had with An Ache In Every Stake, a title which also made no sense, and which got delightfully renamed The Iceman Dumbeth.  Maybe we can strike comedy gold again.  Have at it, you intelligent imbeciles.  Me, I got nothing.

How about...
Pipe Dreamers
Moe Parts the Sea  :D
All Wet
Three Wet Heads
A Watery Nightmare

OK... mine all are  [pie] to.

We're off !  Thank you, Doctor.  Pardon My Leak is great, but I think you're right, wouldn't get past the censors.  The same, I think, with the word "drips", as in, say, Three Little Drips.  We've already given this more thought than the original title-writers, I'm sure.

I thought of this too, and then was mad when I saw you had it too!
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline Paul Pain

• Muttonhead
You mean lost on what Dr. Hugo was referencing? If so, see the Besser short Muscle Up a Little Closer...

I know the short but not the line.
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline Dr. Hugo Gansamacher

How about...
Pipe Dreamers
Moe Parts the Sea  :D
All Wet
Three Wet Heads
A Watery Nightmare

OK... mine all are  [pie] to.

I think "Pipe Dreamers" is pretty good—though "Moe Parts the Sea" deserves recognition for religious irreverence.

I know the short but not the line.

It occurs very early in the short, when Moe is supervising the stock-taking.

Offline Paul Pain

• Muttonhead
I think "Pipe Dreamers" is pretty good—though "Moe Parts the Sea" deserves recognition for religious irreverence.

I like "Moe Parts the Sea."  :P

"Watery Nightmare" would never make it past the censors though!

It occurs very early in the short, when Moe is supervising the stock-taking.

Got it now.
#1 fire kibitzer

Before we are off the subject of matzah, I want to interject this story:

A blind gentile man is attending his first Passover seder. He misses the explanation when a plate of matzah is passed to him. So he takes a sheet of the stuff and tries to figure out what it is by running his fingers over the surface. After a few seconds, he puts it down, shakes his head, and says: "Who wrote this garbage?"

Offline Paul Pain

• Muttonhead
Before we are off the subject of matzah, I want to interject this story:

A blind gentile man is attending his first Passover seder. He misses the explanation when a plate of matzah is passed to him. So he takes a sheet of the stuff and tries to figure out what it is by running his fingers over the surface. After a few seconds, he puts it down, shakes his head, and says: "Who wrote this garbage?"

[poke]
#1 fire kibitzer

I like " All Wet ".  Plain and simple, short and sweet.

Offline Lefty

One year my family was the the "Gentiles" at a seder, and I was the one who found the afikomen... hidden under the Rabbi's baby!  I love matzoh in all my Gentile glory!

When I was in my 15th and final year of college (okay, it took me 15 years to get my degree in B.S. -- uh, Bachelor of Science degree -- due to working in between collegiate shifts), one of my classmates, a shiksa, told me she had been to a seder the previous Passover, and if I didn't already know her, I would have thought she was Jewish -- she knew so much about the seder.

Offline Paul Pain

• Muttonhead
When I was in my 15th and final year of college (okay, it took me 15 years to get my degree in B.S. -- uh, Bachelor of Science degree -- due to working in between collegiate shifts), one of my classmates, a shiksa, told me she had been to a seder the previous Passover, and if I didn't already know her, I would have thought she was Jewish -- she knew so much about the seder.

What would you like to know about?  The hard-boiled egg?  The washing of the hands?  The bitter herbs?  Dipping the finger in the wine?  The lamb shank?  Leaving the door open for Elijah?

I know enough although I am not Jewish.
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline Paul Pain

• Muttonhead
I like " All Wet ".  Plain and simple, short and sweet.

Does this make me the winner?!  :D
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline metaldams

We have no winners here.  All losers.

I'm a winner.  My mother told me so.

By the way, ALL WET is the title of a 1924 Charley Chase short.  You see, my Mom was right!
- Doug Sarnecky

How about "Up Your Plumbing"?

No, I don't see that getting past the censor.

Offline Shemp_Diesel

How about A Plumbing We Will Go, Part Deux: We Got To Get A Longer Jeep--I know, not the most creative but that's all I got...

;D

[pie]
Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Up Your Plumbing would never make it, you're right, I think.  How about Up And Plumbing ?

Offline luke795

I don't know if anyone said this, but this short uses a new opening.  Why was the Columbia Pictures Corporation presents not used for the Three Stooges shorts that were released from 1945-1949?  And why don't Dopey Dicks and Love at First Bite have the Columbia Pictures Corporation presents?

Offline Kopfy2013

Late to the party again .... nothing much to add ... I give this a 7 ....
Niagara Falls

Offline Woe-ee-Woe-Woe80

Very good remake/ripoff of the Stooge short "A Plumbing We Will Go", the one thing what improves among this short is we get to see more of Moe & Larry together and Moe's temper seems to be beefed up more, I've thought Kenneth MacDonald and Christine McIntyre were really good as the villains trying to steal the painting (which was a new addition to this short that we haven't seen in "Plumbing"), the only downside is Moe hardly punishes Shemp in this short which makes it feel like he was the middle stooge while Larry gets the brunt of Moe's wrath and Shemp's "Maze Of Pipes" scene wasn't as funny as Curly's.

I also thought Symona Bynoface was better in this short than Bess Flowers was in "Plumbing" as the woman who gotten splashed by the water coming out of the TV.

Overall I give this short an 8/10, I think this short overall is nearly as good as "Plumbing"

Offline Larrys#1

It's episodes like these that show that Curly is the more funnier stooge than Shemp. Not saying Shemp is bad; he's actually a very funny guy. Just saying Curly is better.

Curly brought so much life, enthusiasm and energy to A PLUMBING WE WILL GO. Shemp has more of a laid back type of comedy, which is not a bad thing, but it does not work in episodes like these. Shemp can be a great stooge at times and honestly, he's the best replacement for the legendary Curly. But this is one episode where he fails at. I just didn't find him particularly funny in this one.... maybe because I'm comparing it to A PLUMBING WE WILL GO. Could be. But sorry guys, I liked Curly's performance in this one better.

Offline metaldams

It's episodes like these that show that Curly is the more funnier stooge than Shemp. Not saying Shemp is bad; he's actually a very funny guy. Just saying Curly is better.

Curly brought so much life, enthusiasm and energy to A PLUMBING WE WILL GO. Shemp has more of a laid back type of comedy, which is not a bad thing, but it does not work in episodes like these. Shemp can be a great stooge at times and honestly, he's the best replacement for the legendary Curly. But this is one episode where he fails at. I just didn't find him particularly funny in this one.... maybe because I'm comparing it to A PLUMBING WE WILL GO. Could be. But sorry guys, I liked Curly's performance in this one better.

I pretty much mention it in my original review...but I agree.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Dr. Mabuse

Low-budget reworking of "A Plumbing We Will Go," with a strong supporting cast and minimal stock footage.  No match for the original, but easily the best Curly rehash with Shemp.  One of those occasional shorts in which Moe regrettably imitates Curly — it just doesn't work.

7/10

Offline Woe-ee-Woe-Woe80

This is one short I would like better if Moe had given Shemp more punishment, to me it felt like Larry was the third stooge and Shemp was the middle stooge in this short.

Offline Daddy Dewdrop

Coming in at #175 on my countdown we have "Vagabond Loafers."  An obvious remake of "A Plumbing We Will Go" which I rank pretty high on my list of favorites.  Shemp does okay, but is no match for the energy of Curly in the original.  Surprisingly, I actually rank the remake remake "Scheming Schemers" a bit higher.  Probably because I'm a sucker for a pie fight (even recycled ones).

#175. Vagabond Loafers

Offline Shemp_Diesel

Very late with this thought (I know), but Plumb Loco struck me as something that may have been a good working title...   :P