The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Angora Love (1929) - Laurel and Hardy

Offline metaldams

http://www.lordheath.com/index.php?p=1_169_Angora-Love
http://www.laurelandhardycentral.com/angora.html
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0019640/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LXyLv7YcLzQ

Watch ANGORA LOVE in the link above

This would be the final Laurel and Hardy silent film.  Though shot in early 1929, it was not released until December of the same year and after several talkies were released.  This marks a very late release date for a silent film in general.  I have to admit I don't have too much to say on this one, as it feels like a perfectly acceptable Laurel and Hardy film, but nothing major gag, story, or character wise that makes it stand out.  These are the types of films to me that rank an 8 from comedians I love.

Still, there are some things worth mentioning.  As the title suggests, a goat follows the boys around wherever they go, to the point where it follows them into their apartment.  The simple way to the goat's affection is to feed her a doughnut, you'll then win a friend for life.  Like in WRONG AGAIN, there's only so much slapstick you can do with an animal, though they get more out of the goat here then they do with the horse in the former film.  The crane shot where the goat is following the boys on the street is always good for a laugh with me, and there are also scenes where Stan and Ollie genuinely wrestle the animal briefly in a bucket made bath tub.  I'd like to think the goat wasn't in too much discomfort, but there is some real physicality involved, unlike that horse.  No eleven time hat knocking off here, at least.  Oh, and the ending gag I won't give away, but it is cute.  I can't say the goat is an all time great comic partner, but it makes a pleasant novelty one time.

Edgar Kennedy is a lot of fun as the landlord who Stan and Ollie need to hide the goat from.  My favorite throwaway gag in the film is a pre code ditty involving Edgar claiming his hotel is a respectable establishment.  After he says this, an attractive woman can be seen walking behind him, with a sailor following just seconds later!  Again, that part is always good for a laugh.  The water bucket fight is physically the type of thing done better in several other films, but then again, it's good enough here.  Anytime a reciprocal retaliation scene involves Stan, Ollie, Edgar, and Charlie Hall, you have to reach at least some level of enjoyable quality, as they do here.  Last thing I'd like to say is the scene where Ollie massages Stan's foot thinking it's his own has to go down as one of the most bizzare Laurel and Hardy moments.  Overall, another fine short, just not a stand out.

Well, this ends the silent era.  Next week, and for a while, Stan and Ollie prove to the world that when they open their mouths, sound comes out.  There are still plenty of films left, I think 63 or 64 by my count, and I will be reviewing Laurel and Hardy films until the first few films of the Besser era.  For the record, HOLLYWOOD PARTY, which I have never seen in its entirety,  will be bought by me soon and reviewed when it's turn comes up.  Even though Stan and Ollie have 10 - 15 minutes of footage in this hour film, they are top billed.  However, the clincher is other scenes have some guys named Healy, Howard, Fine, and Howard in it as well, so for this site, that makes the film a no brainier to review.  It's been a lot of fun reviewing these silents and really studying and enjoying these films as a group.  Even better seeing Paul Pain becoming a fan, but next week start the talkies, and I am pumped for this!

8/10
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Muttonhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!
This was odd to say the least.  Edgar Kennedy does a fine job being as irate as ever.  Some recycled gags here, like the tack on the floor.  The jokes all work though: feed a goat, get chased by a goat, get accused of stealing the goat, bring the goat home, hide the goat, notice the goat stinks, bathe the goat loudly, battle Edgar Kennedy to protect the goat, foist goat-napping on Edgar Kennedy, and then the not-close-to-GOAT ending.  The sneaky sailor was cute, as was Ollie's complaints about Stan wasting money on doughnuts while gorging himself on them.

Much like the Stooges, a bucket is guaranteed to be on someone's head.

7/10
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline metaldams

Just curious, but do you think you're going to buy any of their stuff on DVD if you haven't already?  I know slightly over $50 is a lot, but considering it's all 40 talking shorts, most of their features, and foreign language versions as bonus on ten discs, it's actually a pretty good deal.

http://www.amazon.com/Laurel-Hardy-Essential-Collection-Stan/dp/B005BYBZKY/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1436147183&sr=1-1&keywords=laurel+and+hardy
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Paul Pain

• Muttonhead
Just curious, but do you think you're going to buy any of their stuff on DVD if you haven't already?  I know slightly over $50 is a lot, but considering it's all 40 talking shorts, most of their features, and foreign language versions as bonus on ten discs, it's actually a pretty good deal.

http://www.amazon.com/Laurel-Hardy-Essential-Collection-Stan/dp/B005BYBZKY/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1436147183&sr=1-1&keywords=laurel+and+hardy

I am in graduate school.  I know not what this "money" you speak of is.  If I had the money (and didn't have a mother who monitors my spending), I would spill the moolah.  But fact is, my mother does monitor and question all money spent, and I don't have the money to spend.
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline metaldams

I am in graduate school.  I know not what this "money" you speak of is.  If I had the money (and didn't have a mother who monitors my spending), I would spill the moolah.  But fact is, my mother does monitor and question all money spent, and I don't have the money to spend.

Understand completely.  Trust me, I know how tough it is out there, especially for college students.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

Paul, and anybody else who is interested, I can't find UNACCUTOMED AS WE ARE on YouTube, but was able to find it at dailymotion, so that's the link I'll likely use.  Should be a fascinating film to review, as talking films from 1929 are an unusual bunch whose likes will never be seen again.  A little about this below, and more to come this weekend on the subject.  Like I said, I'm pumped!

http://moronika.com/forums/index.php/topic,5372.msg45924.html#msg45924
- Doug Sarnecky

Is The Laurel and Hardy Essential Collection the best of the best?  Is that the one remastered from the finest original negatives that they could find, the one that I have been reading about these last few years, the sine qua non?  If so, that price is so reasonable that I will immediately tell my wife that she has found my birthday present.  It is in fact so cheap that I have to double-check with you imbeciles to find if it's the goods.  To tell you the truth, years ago I bought a stooge set of maybe eight or ten CDs, and I not much later found out it was a bootleg set, but again truth to tell the quality was pretty darned good, especially for the price.  Maybe three years later the Sony stooge set came out and I would have regretted my original purchase except that the post-1950 shorts don't interest me much.  I would love to see the remastered 1930 -1950 episodes, though.  My point being, if The L&H Essential Collection is the finest remastered set available, THE one, I'll jump on it.  If this isn't it, which one is?  I'd appreciate the help.

And oh, yes, it's the talkies I'm most interested in, which is the set mentioned above, I think.  Am I on the right track here?  See if I'm awake.

Offline metaldams

Is The Laurel and Hardy Essential Collection the best of the best?  Is that the one remastered from the finest original negatives that they could find, the one that I have been reading about these last few years, the sine qua non?  If so, that price is so reasonable that I will immediately tell my wife that she has found my birthday present.  It is in fact so cheap that I have to double-check with you imbeciles to find if it's the goods.  To tell you the truth, years ago I bought a stooge set of maybe eight or ten CDs, and I not much later found out it was a bootleg set, but again truth to tell the quality was pretty darned good, especially for the price.  Maybe three years later the Sony stooge set came out and I would have regretted my original purchase except that the post-1950 shorts don't interest me much.  I would love to see the remastered 1930 -1950 episodes, though.  My point being, if The L&H Essential Collection is the finest remastered set available, THE one, I'll jump on it.  If this isn't it, which one is?  I'd appreciate the help.

It's the one, trust me.  When it came out in 2011, the price was about $100, which still wasn't bad, but these days it's going for about $50, which is a steal.  All forty talkie Hal Roach shorts, seven foreign language versions of shorts which involves Stan and Ollie phonetically learning their lines in other languages, and ten out of thirteen Hal Roach features.  The three missing features (BABES IN TOYLAND, FRA DIAVOLO, and BONNIE SCOTLAND), are not in the set because of ownership issues but can be found elsewhere.  The prints are as good as you are ever going to see, and there's a bonus disc of other things, including some Hal Roach shorts Laurel and Hardy cameoed in by other comedians.  Let your wife know.
- Doug Sarnecky

That's what I wanted to know.  Done deal.  Too bad about Fra Diavolo, the others I'm not so interested in.  Thank you sir.

Offline Paul Pain

• Muttonhead
I will probably find the link and watch the next short before we get there [3stooges]
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline Umbrella Sam

Well, much like with WRONG AGAIN, I think that this film is decent, but with nothing in particular that stands out. Don’t get me wrong, I think that these animal plots can work (we have a certain Buster Keaton film coming up with a similar plot that I think is a good example ;)), but this one feels just a bit lacking at times, though I do consider it to be slightly better than WRONG AGAIN.

The film starts by establishing the goat’s escape and the reason for the goat’s affection towards Laurel and Hardy. Not a whole lot happens here, though I do think it’s fitting that their last silent film involves a mud puddle. They get the goat into their room and have to deal with both this and their own antics that of course cause constant noise. There are some funny moments in here. I like Laurel trying to get under the bed in place of the goat and that gag with the sailor is pretty funny as well. Kennedy also makes for a good choice for the landlord. The water fight towards the end is decent and it’s cool to see both Kennedy and Charlie Hall involved as well, but it’s nothing particularly special.

7 out of 10

So that ends the silent era for Laurel and Hardy. I know a lot of people don’t think of the silent shorts as highly as the sound shorts, and yeah, I’ll admit that as a whole the sound era is better for Laurel and Hardy, but the silent era still has some entries that are well worth checking out. Films like LIBERTY, TWO TARS, FROM SOUP TO NUTS, BIG BUSINESS, and several others show off Laurel and Hardy as a great visual act that was just as effective in the silent era as they were in the sound era. Also the silent era doesn’t have BERTH MARKS. Seeing them grow as a duo has been a fun experience and I’m looking forward to seeing this dynamic used to even more effect as I continue watching their films in the sound era.
“I’ll take a milkshake...with sour milk!” -Shemp (Punchy Cowpunchers, 1950)

My blog: https://talk-about-cinema.blogspot.com

Offline HomokHarcos

It's notable that this came out in December 1929, which is very late for a silent film release. They actually completed all of their silents before the talkies, but just rushed out sound films to release first. That is strange, wouldn't they have wanted to rush out the release of silent films first when they were still popular? I also wonder if Angora Love played at theaters before a sound feature, or if it was used that the theaters that were still silent. The film is good enough itself, with them sneaking an animal into their home and the landlord not happy about it. Of course that causes a lot of trouble for Stan and Ollie, which gets the landlord involved. He makes a mess of things and then police officer gets splashed. Stan and Ollie actually win in the end! This would be their final silent, but I wish they had left silent cinema on a bigger bang.